Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: P series LEM “difficulty”, is it all in the mind? A very in-depth look at LEM.

Good thread and discussion. I'm personally ambivalent about LEM. My example is a .40 P30L V1. After 6+ months of dedicated practice, training, carry and competition (IDPA) with mine, my competition scores were still nowhere close to what I've achieved with my Glocks and VP40.

But still...the gun is superbly accurate, with exquisite ergos. And it handles the .40 quite nicely and controllably. But I shoot better with my Beretta 92D DAO, with triggerpull-optimized Wilson Combat components (including the WC triggerbar and springs). Between the P30L and the 92D, it's not so much ergos, it's triggerpull characteristics-I find myself preferring, and doing better with the heavier, more resistant (relatively speaking) triggerpull on the 92D-which also has a consistent pull from inception to break.

I'm in no way throwing the baby out with the bathwater-I consider the P30L LEM to be a superb duty/threat management tool. I plan on talking to HK after the holidays on the V1/V4/V4 hybrid spring combinations, as I may need to send it back to them on another non-operational issue anyhow.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by nwhpfan View Post
    I want to go right to your comment about if it's in the mind. I think it is. I see the LEM a bit more simple. First shot has a lot of take-up and the second has a fairly longer reset compared to other guns. Maybe the LEM is a bit overthought when perhaps: Sights on target, pull til bang sould be the focus.
    It isn’t that LEM has a long reset, the entire P series has a long reset. Mr. Langdon is quite right in stating that reset is pretty unimportant, however, it does tend to throw people off if they’re used to a really quick reset like Sig’s SRT or a CZ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post

I'm in no way throwing the baby out with the bathwater-I consider the P30L LEM to be a superb duty/threat management tool. I plan on talking to HK after the holidays on the V1/V4/V4 hybrid spring combinations, as I may need to send it back to them on another non-operational issue anyhow.

Best, Jon
    The factory spring options (V1/V2) from HK are garbage and one of the non-mental reasons why people over/wrongly-think the LEM trigger. It’s either all light, which creates a huge wall, or all heavy, which is with the 14 lb hammer spring is still stacky. HKpro has a good matrix of how to get a good trigger pull.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote41 View Post
    It isn’t that LEM has a long reset, the entire P series has a long reset. Mr. Langdon is quite right in stating that reset is pretty unimportant, however, it does tend to throw people off if they’re used to a really quick reset like Sig’s SRT or a CZ.

Reset is very important as it is required to take the next shot. A longer one is a slower one.
    Its why so many performance enhancers entail reducing it.

I haven't seen a video where Ernest says reset is unimportant. I have seen a video where he talks about reset -and making it happen quickly.
    Last edited by nwhpfan; 12-23-2018 at 05:30 PM.
    A71593

Reset is very important as it is required to take the next shot. A longer one is a slower one.

I haven't seen a video where Ernest says reset is unimportant. I have seen a couple videos where he talks about reset -and making it happen quickly.
    Primary and secondary DA/SA episode (which is part of the inspiration for me throwing a lot of money at HKparts.net for springs and make this thread). “Unimportant” is the wrong word. It’s more like “over emphasized”.

Now this is my thought, so if it’s wrong it’s on me. My reset happens during recoil. There is nothing else for my finger to do during this time but let the trigger out and reprep it for the SA-like follow-up. In this regard, the length of the reset is not as important as some may believe. If you are shooting the wrong way (or so I believe) by recovering from the shot, then releasing the trigger to reset (which is slower and less accurate), a shorter reset will trick you into thinking it is more important than it is.

Site Supporter

I haven't seen a video where Ernest says reset is unimportant. I have seen a video where he talks about reset -and making it happen quickly.
    As stated about the P&S podcast spends a fair amount of time on this.

If reset was the “be all end all” how do you explain Rob Leatham’s success?

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post

I'm pretty sure Rob Leatham thinks it's very important to reset the trigger very fast.

As do I.
    A71593

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post

I guess all those revolver guys are a mystery, too. Reset? What’s reset?

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote41 View Post
    I guess all those revolver guys are a mystery, too. Reset? What’s reset?
    Do revolver guys not reset their trigger?
    A71593

Do revolver guys not reset their trigger?
    The revolver reset is pretty much all the way out. So each trigger pull is effectively the whole length. Somehow, they still manage to shoot fast.

User Tag List