Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: P series LEM “difficulty”, is it all in the mind? A very in-depth look at LEM.

I think what you're doing is what Todd Green did to his P30. I tried that when I was trying to find a good way to use an HK and it was my most useable combination too.

Jon,
    I recall when you switched to the "1.5" a while back. Now that it's been a while, what are your thoughts on it? Still prefer it to the other variants? Do you have any score/timer comparisons to the other variations?

According to my notes (and HKPro's TooSixy's exceptionally useful chart), Todd went with the Light firing pin block spring, the Heavy trigger return/rebound spring, and remained with the Standard hammer spring, in what became called the V-TGS setup. I'm uncertain if the Medium trigger return/rebound spring was available at that point; I don't think that it was.

My setup is with the Standard OEM FPBS (although Coyote41 has graciously provided me with the Light one, which I may experiment with at some point), the Medium TRS, and the OEM Heavy HS (according to TooSixy's chart for P30L Light{V1} LEM (although I'm uncertain about the HS; I believe my OEM one was actually a Standard HS-if it does indeed have the Heavy one, then what I've got is essentially a V4 LEM).

I'm exceptionally pleased with it since the installation. It's LEM, with the full trigger pull length, so by definition regarding pure shootability it'll be slower at least mechanically/technically than my VP40, Glocks, and SIG-Sauer P320, but now it's at least slightly better shooting-wise compared to my Beretta 92D DAO. I don't have comparable timer results, but I'm relying on subsequent to installation match and square-range use.

I unhesitatingly recommend it; I think it's definitely superior to the V1, and still lighter than what you get with V2. If you don't like the V1.5, you can always experiment with V2, V4, V4.1, and/or V-TGS.

Best, Jon

Just looking for opinions.

Would someone that carries an LEM benefit from training with another trigger system?

In other words, does LEM hold back someone's progress from learning and improving as a shooter?

I shoot weekly about 100 to 150 rounds or so. Haven't had time to go to matches lately but I aspire to be the best I can be with a pistol.

I've been switching back and forth between gen 3 g19 and p30sk. The trigger"issues" that I've read about that probably truly affect .0001 of Glock gen shooters has kept me from buying a gen 5.

Having a gadget or hammer is my requirement for aiwb.

The idea of carrying lem/tda and training with a vp9 owb strong side is something I've never thought of before. Really liked the vp9 /sk but obviously no gadget.

Thanks all!

That and I'm waiting for the rds thing to mature some more.
    Last edited by noguns; 11-13-2019 at 06:56 PM.

So I have been toying with revisiting my P30 LEM. I haven't trained with it in 3 years - it was the gun that sent me back to running a Glock.

Anyway, as my shooting has greatly evolved with classes and some competition I feel that *maybe* I can actually run a LEM gun decently.

Here is my question. I see three "proper" ways to shoot LEM using my Google-fu:

1. On press out: take up slack in trigger and break shot, ride reset for subsequent shots (this is what I naturally want to do - very Glock-ish)
    2. On press out: press trigger in one non-stop motion, ride reset for subsequent shots (this is what I think should be done)
    3. On press out: press trigger in one non-stop motion, all subsequent shots are the same i.e. full trigger reset (this is a TLG explanation that I don't think I understand)

Which of these (if any) are correct? Or is LEM more of a run-it-the-way-it-works-best-for-you trigger?

I apologize if I didn't search enough (seriously, my head is almost spinning from all the threads on various forums) or if I just am dense and the answer is actually simple.

I would say #3 would be the way.

I don't know of any good reason or trainer who would want you to stage a trigger and/or ride the reset.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post

I don't know of any good reason or trainer who would want you to stage a trigger and/or ride the reset.
    I guess I have been doing it wrong the entire time. Or maybe my terminology is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post

I agree with that. I don't ride the reset on any triggers of any guns I have. I let off the trigger to take it up and prep for another shot as soon as possible if the circumstances require it.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    I agree with that. I don't ride the reset on any triggers of any guns I have. I let off the trigger to take it up and prep for another shot as soon as possible if the circumstances require it.
    I don't mean that I pin the trigger to the rear between shots.

Quote Originally Posted by noguns View Post
    Just looking for opinions.

Would someone that carries an LEM benefit from training with another trigger system?
    IMHO? No.

Posted in another thread, but my tl;dr experience with LEM:

1) Read LEM thread 000's of times. Conclude "hey, this is cool, I need to add a P30SK LEM V1 to my VP9 for, you know, defensive carry."

2) Attempt to shoot USPSA with a VP9, and at the same time, maintain proficiency with my LEM.

3) Take an actual Defensive Training Class with Tom Givens, using the LEM. Realize that, in fact, I really suck at shooting both an LEM and a SFA pistol, at the same time.

4) Sell both HKs and buy a Glock 19 with an SCD.

But seriously...yeah if you are good like say a USPSA B shooter or better, chances are you can manage to master the LEM and be effective with it. For us schmucks that are struggling in D class, sure, you can shoot a LEM but IT NEEDS TO BE THE ONLY TRIGGER YOU SHOOT or it messes with your brain.

Good luck trying it out. It has many many advantages and if you find the juice worth the squeeze, an HK in LEM is a fantastic firearm.

User Tag List