Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alo? Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    No, just mainlanders.

When I went to Hawaii with my wife in 1994, I traveled armed and flew between Oahu, Big Island, Kauai and Maui. No issues whatsoever.

At the airport to fly back to the mainland, some jackass working the fruit and vegetable inspection area was very concerned with why I had a boarding pass with a firearms authorization attached. I told him that I was a fed and showed my ID even though it was none of his business.

Not ten minutes later I see a couple of local PD walking around the boarding area near the gate. I just knew they were looking for me so I approached them and asked if they were looking for a man with a gun. They said they were, and I told them I was the man they were looking for. Showed them my ID, we had a good laugh and they told me the guy who made the report was a self-important twit with not enough to do but make trouble.

I couldn't understand, back then, why anyone would make a report like that when everything was kosher.

Sad that such a sentiment exists in that lovely locale. I enjoyed my few weeks there immensely.
    Last edited by blues; 12-23-2018 at 09:26 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Logical progression of elitist gun attitude...how long until off duty local cops are denied the right to carry?
    They need to re-evaluate the side they are on

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I thought LEOSA was a bad idea from the beginning and I would much rather see national CCW reciprocity.
    This. It's patently obvious that LEOs should be able to carry off-duty and/or in other states, but doing it by making it a special privilege just creates a divide between two groups who, in theory at least, should be on the same side.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray01 View Post
    It must take some twisting of the English language to obfuscate the text of the LEOSA whereby it says: “...Notwithstanding any other provision of the law of any State or any political subdivision thereof...”
    It’s a federal law that supersedes any state law. HR218. It states that any active or retired LEO can carry in any state as long as the maintain there states qualification law. NJ we have to qualify twice year. It also has case law backing it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawaii Says Cops From Out Of State Can't Carry Guns, Despite Federal Law

https://defensemaven.io/bluelivesmat...j_JGcz1FSr6bp8

According to Hawaii's Department of the Attorney General, if police officers from out of state are not on duty, then they are not actually considered to be police officers and LEOSA doesn't apply to them.

"If you are not on official duty with your governmental law enforcement agency and you are carrying a concealed firearm pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 926B, you are not considered a 'law enforcement officer' in the State of Hawaii. The Hawaii Revised Statutes will be applied to you as if you were a 'civilian' with no law enforcement powers," the state Attorney General memo says.
    #RESIST

Even though they want LEOSA to be their own personal wax nose, it was also written carefully enough to define its own terms:

"As used in this section, the term `qualified law enforcement officer' means..."

and

"As used in this section, the term `qualified retired law enforcement officer' means..."

But I am from an age when one had the privilege of going to school (in a time and place) whereby the ability to carefully diagram sentences was a skill both required and mastered in fourth grade (as well as other arcane subjects such as geography and history). The past is another country.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangers13 View Post
    Hawaii can say what they want but can’t enforce it. They will get sued. There are 3 cases already. N.C. MASS and I forgot the third but I believe it was N.C. as well. The cases were thrown out and got hit with hefty lawsuits and paid for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I am sill looking for these cases. Can you provide names of parties or docket numbers?

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Hawaii certainly can 'enforce' it. They don't care if they're sued, and the don't care that they will likely lose. After all, it's not their money....it's the taxpayers' money! None of the politicians who vote for obviously problematic laws are ever responsible for the negative outcomes, even by the voters who got screwed by their nonsense. They could bankrupt the state, and they'll still win re-election. The goal here is to make it so unpleasant for any out of state LEOs that they just comply, rather than risk a career ending incident and financial ruin. That way, regardless of what any court says, they win.

What's truly disturbing is the increase in tension between some states and the Federal government in regards to laws. Yes, there's always been tension inherent in federalism, but it's being taken to another level because of radically incompatible worldviews. Not a good trend.

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Hawaii certainly can 'enforce' it. They don't care if they're sued, and the don't care that they will likely lose. After all, it's not their money....it's the taxpayers' money! None of the politicians who vote for obviously problematic laws are ever responsible for the negative outcomes, even by the voters who got screwed by their nonsense. They could bankrupt the state, and they'll still win re-election. The goal here is to make it so unpleasant for any out of state LEOs that they just comply, rather than risk a career ending incident and financial ruin. That way, regardless of what any court says, they win.
    Given the number of cops that don't carry off duty in their own locale, this won't be a big problem for Hawaii.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    It makes one ponder if whether James Madison foresaw that when he wrote "without due process of law", that it would mutate into the process being the penalty.

User Tag List