Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I think I might want a single-action revolver. Some questions.

If you’re a dedicated single-action revolver fan and you don’t have a Blackhawk, then what can I say?

I mean, if you’re only sorta into SAs, or not really at all, then there’s certainly no dishonor in skipping over the classic Ruger offering. But if you’re one who professes interest in the old hoglegs, with more than one, and one of them isn’t a Blackhawk .357, then you’re not living life correctly. My 50th anniversary .357 is one of my favorite shooters, and it’s not like the shelves in my safe are barren.

JMO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Uberti and Pietta are the ones who make the original Colt design these days, and they have multiple importer (rebrand) companies bringing versions of their gun in like Cimaron, etc.

If you want the original SAA design, a 5 shot (because you best leave the chamber under the hammer empty) version that is true to the original Colt, I think Uberti at this point (owned by Beretta) is making better guns than Colt has for the last 25 years. Depending on the importer, branding, etc. the fit and finish may also be exceptional.

If you want a very sturdy six shot load all the chambers gun, the Ruger's are excellent guns and much sturdier if you plan to shoot hot loads.

The good news is that at this point in time we have more and better choices than any time in history. I compete monthly (NCOWS) with Uberti and Pietta SAA clones and none of them has ever let me down a single time. Accuracy is excellent for both my .357 and 45LC chambered guns. If I wanted to shoot the magnums I would choose a Ruger. The guns from all three of those makers are excellent and reasonably priced.

I think Uberti at this point (owned by Beretta) is making better guns than Colt has for the last 25 years.
    Sorry man but that's just not the case with my Gen 3 Colt SAA and from what I've read of other owners of newer made SAAs. Mine is excellent. From all accounts I have read, it is Uberti that is hit and miss and Colt is turning out some phenomenal SAAs.

Here are my thoughts on Single Action Armies and there clones and modern interpretations:

1) Caliber - I love .45 Colt and it is my favorite handgun round to shoot but I would suggest reloading if you don't already. It is expensive to buy and much cheaper to reload. I think my cost is somewhere between .16-.18/rd to reload. .38/.357 just doesn't seem right to me in an SAA but there are plenty of people who have them and love them.

2) Guns - You can go a couple of different routes here: Colt, Colt Clone, or Modern Interpretation of a Colt SAA (Ruger Vaquero or the new Ubertis with the retracting firing pin)

If you want to load all 6 rounds the Ruger Vaquero and the Gen 2 Ubertis with the retractable firing pin will do that for you. Vaqueros are very well built overall but as with all things Ruger sometimes lemons get through but they have great customer support.

If you want an inexpensive clone, Taylors (https://www.taylorsfirearms.com/) supposedly has the best customer service compared with Uberti, Cimmaron, or Pietta. Their offerings range from fairly authentic (Old Model Cattleman) to modern takes and all kinds of custom finishes and grip variations.

If you want an inexpensive gun that is a clone or a modern interpretation, but want an incredibly good action that a pro has worked over and weeded out any problem guns, get one straight from a Cowboy Action gunsmith like LongHunter (longhunt.com) or Cody Conagher (http://www.codyscowboyshop.com/). The gun will come to you ridiculously smooth and you won't have any of the potential problems of a factory gun. I got my Vaquero from LongHunter and the action is incredible.

If you want the higher end stuff, Colt SAAs are really tough to find. I got on a super secret wait list and scored one for under MSRP last year but took I think 2 years to pop up.

High end clones include the new Standard Manufacturing Revolver SAA (http://www.stdgun.com/single-action-revolver-1/) and the defunct US Firearms which command a premium on the secondary market. FWIW, hickok45, who is in love with Colt SAAs and owns several, thinks the Standard Manufacturing SAA is better made than Colt. I wouldn't try to score a US Firearms SAA unless you really know what you are doing.

For most people, I would probably recommend one of the Taylors or a Ruger Vaquero depending on how close to the authentic SAA design you want to try and get.

If you want to save money and just the waters to see if you like single actions, I would just grab a used Uberti, Vaquero, or a Blackhawk. You won't lose much reselling it if you don't overpay.
    Last edited by FPS; 12-23-2018 at 01:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    If you’re a dedicated single-action revolver fan and you don’t have a Blackhawk, then what can I say?

I mean, if you’re only sorta into SAs, or not really at all, then there’s certainly no dishonor in skipping over the classic Ruger offering. But if you’re one who professes interest in the old hoglegs, with more than one, and one of them isn’t a Blackhawk .357, then you’re not living life correctly. My 50th anniversary .357 is one of my favorite shooters, and it’s not like the shelves in my safe are barren.

JMO.
    I had a Stainless .45 Colt Blackhawk, that was a nice gun. If I'd have had the forethought to order a convertible instead of just buying the shiny one in the display case I'd still have it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

I've been kicking around getting one of the newer Ruger Bisleys in 44 Special. If I understand correctly, it's on a smaller frame than the Super Blackhawk.

Taylors is just an Uberti importer. Each of those importers has a different standard for fit and finish of the guns Uberti makes for them. Most of the criticism of the Uberti's comes from the pre-Beretta era guns. When Beretta bought them they upgraded Uberti's CNC and the rest of the shop significantly.

Get a Ruger Blackhawk. They're well made, incredibly durable, and exceptionally accurate. Yes there are things you can do to improve them, but they're really ready to go right out of the box. The Flattop variants are on a slightly smaller frame; my personal preference is for the slightly larger stainless model on the .44 Magnum frame. You also might want to get a Convertible, available in .357/9mm and .45 Colt/.45 ACP.

My feeling is that the adjustable sighted Blackhawk gives you a huge amount of flexibility without the shortcomings of some of the other available options. A Blackhawk is a great first "gateway" single-action revolver, as well as something to be enjoyed and used in a variety of scenarios.

Read the thread Rich Jenkins provided a link for earlier in the thread-some great discussion and recommendations there.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 12-23-2018 at 10:36 AM.

Blackhawk .357 and a Schofield for cool points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have accumulated several US Firearms Single Actions. USFA is the manufacturer that scared Colt into upping its production and QC standards for the SAA. It is a shame that the owner of USFA seemed to become bored, and move onto other things.

I would not feel outgunned, if carrying a single action sixgun, and, actually, just took delivery of a Barranti IWB holster. The reload should, of course be a Texas reload, which evolved into being called the NY Reload. Texas Rangers were carrying multiple Colt revolvers during the cap-and-ball era, before Texas was a state in the union. Of course, in the 21st Century, the “reload” might as well be a Compact Glock.

For an actual carry gun, a modern single action sixgun, with coil springs, and a tranfer-bar safety system, to enable carrying all chambers loaded, might be a better idea.
    Last edited by Rex G; 12-23-2018 at 03:00 PM.

Sample size of one:

Over the spring I felt the SAA itch after watching Back to the Future III, Westworld, Bone Tomahawk, etc. I picked up a lightly used Uberti Cattleman with 5.5” barrel in .45 Colt. Color case hardened, brass frame, I was tickled pink. I could have gone with a Ruger but wanted a close reproduction. As Hicok45 put it, “Four clicks? C-O-L-T!” Way cool.

First range trip and it was shooting high and left by about a foot and a half at 15 yards. I round out 70 rounds of lead cowboy loads using some serious Kentucky windage. I got it home and read up on how to change the POI. File the front sight...well that only works when hitting low. Hmm.

I decided to pop the cylinder out for a light cleaning/familiarization. The cylinder pin was stuck in the frame - it appeared as if the pin was almost too large to fit in the cylinder. Only with great difficulty could I remove or reinstall it. Hmm.

I tested the safety feature of the Uberti cylinder pin, when you push it deeper into the frame to block the hammer. I found the pin would simply push forward, out of the way of the hammer. Not really how a safety feature should work. Hmm.

So then I’m dry firing it with snap caps. Within a few days of occasional dry fire and manipulation drills, the cylinder became free spinning. Hmm.

This was most likely a broken trigger/bolt spring, which is an easy fix from what I’ve read. By this point I’d had enough. Back to the gunstore it went for a full refund.

User Tag List