Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: I think I might want a single-action revolver. Some questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    If you get the 5.5", you can decide, day by day or year to year, which to use hunting. If you get the 4 5/8", you've decided forever.
    Washington State once had a law that specifically prohibited 5.5" guns for elk, so I had David Clements build me a 5-shot 45 Colt with a 5.625" barrel.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Bought an Uberti a few years back, and wished I had gotten a Ruger instead.
    I did not like the original style sights at all.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I have a question for the Ruger folks.

If I were to purchase a Bisley, could the grip frame be swapped for one with a BlackHawk? Ruger doesn't offer exactly what I want. I think that I would prefer a BH, but with the Bisley, or even SBH, hammer. If the grip frames were swap-able between the two, that might would open up options.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

The grip frames are swapable, but it's not exactly plug-n-play. There's usually a little fitting involved I believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post

If I were to purchase a Bisley, could the grip frame be swapped for one with a BlackHawk? Ruger doesn't offer exactly what I want. I think that I would prefer a BH, but with the Bisley, or even SBH, hammer. If the grip frames were swap-able between the two, that might would open up options.
    Yes but as Bighoss said it's not plug and play. The grip frame may or may not need to be fitted. If you stick with all BH (grip frame, hammer and trigger) fitting should be all you need to do. If you want the Bisley hammer with the BH frame it's more involved. The hammer has to be modified to fit the smaller hammer slot of the BH grip frame and the Bisley trigger has to be shortened to fit the BH grip frame. There may be more but that's what I recall from a few years ago when I wanted to know what was needed to un-Bisley a Bisley in case I ran across a really good deal.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Thanks for the info. I figured that it couldn't be that easy.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Rugerforum.net is a pretty good source of info for tinkering with Rugers. Might be worth a look.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter
    Besides Ruger, which single action revolvers have transfer bars or something as effective at allowing you to safely carry all chambers loaded?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post

I didnt see this when you posted it.

Grip frames basically bolt on, but the edges may be off slightly. Ive done several and just ignored the overhang because the end result was what I wanted. If one doesnt mind having it blued, it can then be ground/polished to fit like factory. Its one of the few Ruger SA parts that have what could be called "fitting". They are screwed together to final polish. The ones with aluminum grip frames arent so done as far as I know, but guns with steel grips frames are.

Super Blackhawk hammers are basically drop in for Blackhawks and older type Vaqueros, Ive done several and never had any problems whatsoever.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    My understanding is BH and SBH use the same triggers and hammers. The Single-Six and friends use different parts.

Within the BH/SBH world, the Bisley hammer is different. Non-Bisley hammer can be used with Bisley grip frame, but Bisley hammer cannot be used with non-Bisley grip frame.

AFAIK, the Power Custom "Bisley" hammer is compatible with all grip frames. It has the lowered spur of the Bisley, but lacks the gap-filling appendage at the rear. It leaves an unsightly gap when used with a Bisley grip frame, but allows the hammer to function with a non-Bisley grip frame. The hammer also enables some different manipulation/manual of arms that some people prefer. If you want a plow handle grip and a Bisley hammer spur, the Power Custom part is probably the way to go.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List