Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I think I might want a single-action revolver. Some questions.

Vending Machine Operator

I think I might want a single-action revolver. Some questions.

Hey all.

I definitely earned me a gun this year. It was a hard one and I got a new job. I've just been mulling over what I want. A lead contender is a CZ Scorpion or a nice hunting shotgun, but I am also considering my first SAA revolver.

The only two brands I know are Cimarron and Uberti. I am pretty sure Uberti is owned by Beretta so I am inclined that way in terms of quality control, but I haven't handled any in person.

Freedom Arms here in Wyoming makes a very nice revolver, but they're well out of my price range.

I am unaware of current Smith or Colt options.

Any particular issue with an 1873 Cattleman Uberti in .45 Long Colt?
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

You probably do need an SA revolver. Not to be the guy answering questions with a question, but, any reason that you’re not listing Ruger as an option?

And, Colt still makes SAA, but they’re damn expensive:

https://www.colt.com/series/SAA_SERIES
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 12-22-2018 at 04:42 PM.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I think I might want a single-action revolver. Some questions.

FWIW, here’s my (limited) experience in a single-action revolver:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....wk-Help-Needed

I got a lot of good advice in that thread.
    Last edited by RJ; 12-22-2018 at 04:42 PM.

I seem to remember someone talking up the magnum Research BFRs, no personal experience however.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Not to be the guy answering questions with a question
    I'll see your single question and raise you a couple more...

How are your eyes? I have a hard time with fixed sights on traditional single actions so I prefer the Ruger Blackhawk and it's adjustable (larger) sights.

Are you dead set on .45 Colt? It's not as cheap to feed as a .38/.357 but I'll admit there's a certain something about touching off a BP .45 Colt load. Ruger has convertible Blackhawks that come with a .38/.357 cylinder and a 9mm cylinder or a .45 Colt and .45 ACP cylinder. I don't think the Vaquero line has the 9mm option but I'm pretty sure they offer the .45 convertibles.

Is this for funsies or are there plans to game or hunt with it?

AFAIK Cimarron can be either an Uberti or Pedersoli unless they've changed to a single supplier.

@Malamute @Lost River
    Last edited by awp_101; 12-22-2018 at 05:17 PM.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by mkmckinley View Post
    I seem to remember someone talking up the magnum Research BFRs, no personal experience however.
    I have one in 45/70. Not very practical, but a very well made gun.

The Ubertis have had problems with soft screws in the past, and fairly rough internal parts. They slick up OK, but can be rough out of the box. I believe better screws are available from aftermarket suppliers. My impression of Pietta is they are a notch below Uberti in most regards, but people have been saying they are getting better. Id just stick with Uberti. Cimarron generally has better finished guns than standard Ubertis. I thought their stuff was all Uberti but have nothing to base that on.

If Colt was in my budget, Id get one and never give anything else a second thought if wanting a traditional single action. They can be had used for semi-reasonable prices sometimes, just take your time looking. The Colt forum sometimes has fair deals. When a true deal shows up, they dont last long. Id also consider a Colt New Frontier if the adjustable sights dont bother you, but still want a genuine Colt. Id be tickled to have one as a field and carry gun. My preference would be 44 spl, 45, then 357. Id consider getting a 357 if it was cheaper, then look for a barrel and cylinder or have the 357 cylinder chambered for a tight chamber and throat. Nothing really wrong with the 357 if its not a carry gun in bear-ish country. The 44 spls will take the old Keith load without any trouble.

Ruger makes some good single actions. They can be helped with a little slicking up, and decent grips. Many think a spring kit is an action job, but doing a little basic slicking up inside makes a lot of difference and doesnt affect reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    How are your eyes? I have a hard time with fixed sights on traditional single actions so I prefer the Ruger Blackhawk and it's adjustable (larger) sights.
    I had about given up on carrying the vaquero around in the evening until the brilliant thought of "orange sights" came miraculously into my mind. Not sure why it took so long, but it made a huge difference in seeing the sights.

So far, Salon Perfect Traffic Cone orange is the brightest Ive seen. White undercoat.
    Last edited by Malamute; 12-22-2018 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I had about given up on carrying the vaquero around in the evening until the brilliant thought of "orange sights" came miraculously into my mind. Not sure why it took so long, but it made a huge difference in seeing the sights.

So far, Salon Perfect Traffic Cone orange is the brightest Ive seen. White undercoat.
    Thanks, I may have to give that a whirl! There's an unfired .32 H&R/.32-20 Dakota that keeps whispering my name when I go into a certain shop but I've been avoiding it because of the sights...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I've had one Pietta and one Ruger. Something happened in the Pietta pretty early in it's life and Century Arms who imported it wouldn't help me without a copy of the purchase receipt which I didn't have anymore.

The Ruger Blackhawk was great I just didn't feel like buying .45 Colt ammo anymore.

When I get back around to buying fun guns I'll just grab a Ruger Vaquero for a SAA clone and call it a day.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

I bought a Ruger SBH Bisley .44 for grizzly defense in Alaska. I'm not a revolver guy. At all. But I do like it. And it's surprisingly shootable.

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List