Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steel Challenge for skills development

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have been aware of Steel Challenge for a while, and frankly found it uninteresting. The targets seemed big, there is minimal movement and it seemed awfully repetitive.

In the last few months, my wife and I started shooting official Steel Challenge matches because they were at nearby clubs on days that did not conflict with regular USPSA matches. To our surprise, we really have come to like it, for a few reasons. First, it is a work out on your technical skills — surrender start draws, transitions and accuracy. Second, because it is only five targets per run, it is very intense with every draw, shot and transition critical. Third, by shooting the same stages as everyone else across the country, it is easy to get benchmark data on where your skills are. Fourth, and this is the big one, you MUST shoot with emotional control and figure out how to hit your mental sweet spot, if you are to consistently do well (and consistency is the key to Steel Challenge since you shoot five strings and keep four on every stage). It is also time efficient, since the matches move quickly.

If you haven’t done official Steel Challenge, check it out.
    High level competition shooting makes you better at shooting? WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT

My holster maker (Chris dba Ready Tactical) got me into steel a couple of years ago. The club (Rocket City Practical Shooters) was then running own rules but has since affiliated - easy enough, they were already holding USPSA - and usually has six of the eight standard stages. Sometimes they will run three SC and three made up stages.

Serious shooters have memorized the SC stages and know what order to shoot in and what their expected times are. They will soon break down a novelty stage based on experience with standard stages.

Me? I am kind of like the goose who wakes up in a new world every morning. I have to watch one of the regulars shoot a stage and say "Oh, yeah, like THAT." Heaven help me if I am first.

As said, it really gets you working on target acquisition and transition. I shoot mostly rimfire, so I don't get in the fast draw practice.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Me? I am kind of like the goose who wakes up in a new world every morning. I have to watch one of the regulars shoot a stage and say "Oh, yeah, like THAT." Heaven help me if I am first.
    Like.

Otherwise it's like Kabuki theater all over again.
    Last edited by Tom Duffy; 12-23-2018 at 07:14 PM.
    Real guns have hammers.

Here's an excellent discussion between Max Michel and Mike Seeklander about Steel Challenge. As most folks probably know, Max has won multiple world speed shooting championships.

Mike really grills Max on details of his draw stroke, visual focus, etc. etc. Well worth listening to if you're remotely interested in SC.

https://americanwarriorshow.com/index.html

(Scroll down the podcast list to September 29, 2018, to find the Max Michel episode).
    Last edited by Mark D; 12-25-2018 at 11:29 PM.

My wife and I have been focusing on improving our ability on steel generally, as opposed to drilling the official SC stages. My hands down draw is more developed than my hands up draw, so I have been working on hands up more. My wife has been improving so much, she can beat me if I make even the tiniest mistake on a string.

This afternoon, she was laying down great runs, and that friendly competition lifted both our games.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

My wife and I have been focusing on improving our ability on steel generally, as opposed to drilling the official SC stages. My hands down draw is more developed than my hands up draw, so I have been working on hands up more. My wife has been improving so much, she can beat me if I make even the tiniest mistake on a string. ]
    That's some nice shooting.

I’ve tried a Steel Challenge Match.

It was a lot of fun, actually. Quite a few rounds shot for the time invested, certainly as compared with a typical USPSA match.

Lots of draws obviously. And trigger control.

Plus, there is something and I don’t know why but shooting steel is A LOT OF FUN! That PING sound is just so satisfying.

I got a lot more splashback than I’ve ever gotten, emphasizing the importance of good wrap around eye pro. Even when in the on deck area.

I need to do more of this in 2019. Good thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    My wife and I have been focusing on improving our ability on steel generally, as opposed to drilling the official SC stages. My hands down draw is more developed than my hands up draw, so I have been working on hands up more. My wife has been improving so much, she can beat me if I make even the tiniest mistake on a string.

This afternoon, she was laying down great runs, and that friendly competition lifted both our games.

Looking good with that VP9!

I need more VP9 video to push me away from the P30 edge.

User Tag List