Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Week 300: F.A.S.T.

Week 300: F.A.S.T.

For the 300th Drill of the Week on Pistol-Forum.com and the last one of the year, let’s shoot a tribute to the late and sorely missed Todd Louis Green – his signature test, the F.A.S.T.!

---

Week 300: F.A.S.T.

Results may be posted until January 21st, 2019.

Designed by: Todd Louis Green
    Range: 7 yards
    Target: 8" circle and 3x5 card (see http://pistol-training.com/wp-conten...ast-target.pdf for a downloadable target; this target must be printed on an 8.5x14 "legal" sheet of paper)
    Start position: concealed, hands relaxed at sides (see below for alternatives)
    Rounds fired: 6 per run

Pistol begins with exactly two rounds in the gun. Draw should be from underneath legitimate concealment (see below for alternatives). Arms must be relaxed with hands at your sides (not on the gun).

1. On the buzzer, draw and fire two rounds at the 3x5 card.
    2. Reload from slidelock/empty gun.
    3. Fire four rounds to the 8" circle.

Do not fire extra rounds. Shots intended for the 3x5 that hit the 8", or vice versa, count as misses.

Scoring is as follows:

Total time + 2s penalty for each 3x5 shot missed, + 1s penalty for each 8" shot missed.

The FAST is intended to be shot from legitimate concealment or with a duty/retention holster. Even when shot with a duty holster, start position is arms at sides (not "interview" stance). Score is modified as follows based on carry method:

Concealed: no penalty.

Retention holster with closed (snap or velcro) mag pouches: 0.5 second bonus (subtraction) per 6-shot run.

Retention holster with open top mag pouches: no penalty or bonus.

ALS, SERPA, or Thumb Drive (or similar) holster without concealment: 0.5 second penalty (addition) per 6-shot run.

Open top holster without concealment: 3 second penalty (addition) per 6-shot run.

If your range does not allow drawing from a holster, begin with the gun on a table with no round in the chamber (two in the magazine). On the start signal, pick up the gun, rack the slide, and shoot the drill. Reload from underneath concealment.

As an additional scoring twist in keeping with TLG’s overriding priority of consistency of performance, let’s see how many consecutive times we can shoot it clean! If your first run is clean (no points down/no penalty time added), you can shoot a second run. If your second run is clean, you can shoot a third run, and so on.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Gun used
    Starting position (concealed, duty, open holster, or table start)
    Type of holster (if applicable)
    Time and hits for each run
    How many clean runs you were able to shoot consecutively
    Anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

M&P2.0C 9mm
    Concealed in a JMCK OWB
    9.01 and 9.38 clean. I had one at 8.78 but put a shot below the card.

Beretta 92G LTT Elite
    Keepers Concealment Keeper AIWB and CCC BMC mag carrier

6.04 (1.92/2.57/5.09/5.44/5.73/6.04)
    5.88 (2.14/2.75/4.95/5.31/5.61/5.88)
    6.02 (1.99/2.64/4.94/5.31/5.67/6.02)

The AMG timer's summary records times not splits, and I don't feel like doing math, so apologize for the above format. All three runs clean. My reloads really need work.

Name:  IMG_5670.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  27.6 KB
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

17.5 Keepers holster, JM Custom appendix mag pouch. Concealed under thermal top. Did not record splits.
    Clean runs - Zero

5.84 -1 3x5 - 7.84 total
    5.36 -1 3x5 - 7.36 total
    (Forgot to record time but I believe it was a 5.90) -1 3x5 -1 body bad draw and reload

Observations

Need visual patience on the 3x5. Can make up time on the draw to first shot. Recently started running a full medium size beavertail and it seems to be helping my index and finger placement on the trigger. My standard miss is low left when I snatch the trigger.

Got a chance to go to the range again.

This time I used my issued M&P40/TLR from a Safariland SLS/ALS duty holster with open top mag pouches.

7.31, all clean.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Beretta 92G LTT Elite
    Keepers Concealment Keeper AIWB and CCC BMC mag carrier

6.04 (1.92/2.57/5.09/5.44/5.73/6.04)
    5.88 (2.14/2.75/4.95/5.31/5.61/5.88)
    6.02 (1.99/2.64/4.94/5.31/5.67/6.02)

The AMG timer's summary records times not splits, and I don't feel like doing math, so apologize for the above format. All three runs clean. My reloads really need work.

Name:  IMG_5670.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  27.6 KB
    Went back to the range today and decided to shoot the FAST again with my LTT 92G and Keeper AIWB holster. First three runs were clean sub-7 scores, with a best at 5.83, so I decided to shoot another three and push it a bit. Wheels came completely off the first run, but my second was a clean 5.38 (1.82/.52/2.14/.24/.22/.44). This is my best so far with the LTT 92G, and while not quite a personal record (a 5.22 with a Glock 9mm several years back), was within a quarter second. I'm sure I could've beat my PR too if not for hesitation on the final shot (trigger freeze?), resulting in that ugly .44 split.

In any case, I'm happy to finish out the year with this run. I'm now motivated to break the five second barrier in 2019.

PS - I'm very satisfied with the AMG Commander Timer. I dropped it from about five feet today off a shelf at my indoor range (still in the Tek-Lok case), and it kept on ticking.
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 12-31-2018 at 01:27 PM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

First post on forum so hi everyone... New shooter at age of 42, first fired a gun slightly over year ago.

9.60 clean, 7.75 with one miss to the head area.

Stock VP9, JMCK wing claw 2.0 and JMCK IWB mag pouch, both under garment

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

shot a FAST today for the first time in a long time. I didn't realize this was a DOTW so I didn't record things exactly but heres how it went down:

Gun: Sp-01, stock sights with orange paint in front. Cgw SRS but otherwise stock. Thin G10 grips. Safariland GLS holster unconcealed

1. Around 5.3s but +4s for misses. Hit low on initial DA and right on half the body shots. Around 10s total time with penalties and +.5 for holster type.
    2. Similarly fast and innacurate as 1st run
    3. 6s clean. 6.5s with holster penalty. Slowed down enough to make my hits and probably a bit of luck. Approximately 2/.5/2.5/.36/.33/.33

I need to switch back to my thick palmswell grips to see if my newly aquired rightward bias is because of the change in grips or something I am doing wrong.

I hope to repeat this test at the end of 2019 and get a solid 5.0!

Student
    I needed to test new sights on both my G45s, and practiced these drills on 1/8/19 and 1/9/19, both sessions warmed up and on a Q-PT target. Holster used was a Safariland ALS and open pouches, as unfortunately the Scottsdale Gun Club does not allow concealed/IWB draw.

1/8/19 - G45 carry
    6.76 (1st 1.94, 0.39 avg split) + 0.50 (ALS) + 2.00 (1H out) = 9.26
    6.94 (1st 1.75, 0.39 avg split) + 0.50 (ALS) + 2.00 (1H out) = 9.44
    7.27 (1st 2.04, 1.2 avg split) + 0.50 (ALS) + 2.00 (2B out) = 9.77

Dropped head shot in first string was low, just above neckline.
    Dropped head shot in second string was high, just above the edge of the 3x5 area.
    I don't recall where the two dropped body shots in the third string landed but they certainly were not bare misses just outside the circle.
    No clean runs. I was satisfied with the new front sight post though, as the first shot in each string landed exactly where I saw it in the junction of the 'T'.

Student
    Third string also had a significantly different split average due to flubbing the reload from slidelock.

1/9/19 - G45 trainer
    6.07 (1.77/0.32) + 0.50 (ALS) + 2.00 (1H out) = 8.57
    5.17 (1.78/0.30) + 0.50 (ALS) + 3.00 (1H, 1B out) = 8.67
    6.08 (1.75/0.29) + 0.50 (ALS) = 6.58
    6.03 (1.79/0.33) + 0.50 (ALS) = 6.53
    5.59 (1.78/0.28) + 0.50 (ALS) = 6.09
    5.63 (1.95/0.27) + 0.50 (ALS) = 6.13

Third through sixth strings were all clean. Sixth string draw to first took a bit of time to correct grip.
    This is the same weapon used in Mr. White's class the weekend before, but I changed the stock polymer sights out for Ameriglo classics (GL-133). I don't think at this range there is any appreciable difference in hold or amount of time to confirm window compared to the thinner (0.125) front sight I tested the day before.

It is worth noting that on the second day of Mr. Langdon's class the weekend after this, my time for his scored run was six and some change from appendix concealment. We were already warmed and if I remember correctly, the previous drills leading up to this incorporated separate elements of the FAST, but I'm doubtful that having the benefit of two actual practice runs beforehand would have made much difference in my case.

User Tag List