Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NJ UPDATE on LEO magazine capacity Exemptions

NJ UPDATE on LEO magazine capacity Exemptions

I was with my son last night and he informed me that Wednesday the NJ governor signed into law new exemptions to the Magazine capacity limits.

Basically now OFF Duty LEOs may carry up to 17 Round Capacity mags for personally owned firearms and any capacity if it is a department owned firearm.

Link to the NJAG's explanation letter below. They are explaining it away as a clarification.

https://www.facebook.com/NJSTATEPBA/...type=3&theater
    Last edited by rsa-otc; 12-21-2018 at 06:46 AM.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Still sounds like NJ is one messed up state....

Site Supporter
    So, based solely on this memo, an off-duty, out of state officer meeting all the LEOSA requirements would have to be carrying his department owned and issued pistol to use a magazine holding greater than 10 rounds? Unless the text of new law says something different, I’ll continue to go with a G43 on those rare occasions when I have to enter the Graden State.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    So, based solely on this memo, an off-duty, out of state officer meeting all the LEOSA requirements would have to be carrying his department owned and issued pistol to use a magazine holding greater than 10 rounds? Unless the text of new law says something different, I’ll continue to go with a G43 on those rare occasions when I have to enter the Graden State.
    According to the letter, up to 17 off-duty with personally owned weapon, and over 17 regardless of off-duty or on-duty if using department issued firearm.

So, basically, if you're issued a Glock 19 you're good-to-go with your +5 Taran Tactical extensions.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    According to the letter, up to 17 off-duty with personally owned weapon, and over 17 regardless of off-duty or on-duty if using department issued firearm.

So, basically, if you're issued a Glock 19 you're good-to-go with your +5 Taran Tactical extensions.
    Gotcha. My fault, misread the second paragraph.

Does the new law differentiate between off-duty NJ officers and officers from other jurisdictions as they have done in the past?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    Gotcha. My fault, misread the second paragraph.

Does the new law differentiate between off-duty NJ officers and officers from other jurisdictions as they have done in the past?
    Jason,

I'm not sure, that's a really good question.

It simply states "law enforcement officer". I did a quick read through the applicable statute's (2c-39) definitions chapter, and it doesn't define what a LEO is.

I mean, obviously we'd like to think the definition is self-evident and applicable to anyone that qualifies under LEOSA, but you bring up a good point. Out of state LEOs might not fall under whatever asinine method NJ defines LEOs as.

Unless someone here can come up with the answer, it might be a good idea to reach out to the NJSP firearms unit. Or, since this is all a bunch of big new convuluted law, have your department reach out through official channels just so it's clear where the officers stand given you're neighboring states.
    Last edited by TGS; 12-23-2018 at 02:40 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    I wonder if, like PA, they define all of their terms at the beginning of the chapter that contains that specific group of statutes. In the past, NJ made the distinction between NJ and out of state officers for the whole HP ammo issue so it seems prudent to wonder if they also did it in this little legislative gem.

... some animals are more equal than others....
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    ... some animals are more equal than others....
    Count your blessings ....

Name:  271D7305-2409-4B53-B2E6-1B6ED109EBE2.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  52.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Count your blessings ....

Name:  271D7305-2409-4B53-B2E6-1B6ED109EBE2.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  52.5 KB
    Why? To be in that condition is the result of several (possibly) poor life choices. I find others in that position as neither a blessing nor a curse for me to count.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

User Tag List