Thread: The Firearm Blog

The Firearm Blog

Who can go to The Firearm Blog video and explain what caused Joel Turner's 2011 to fire on a reload?

Didn't see the video. But saw the explanation, two things.

1) 2011 mags have relatively short (front-to-back) length feed lips. Having a round pop loose from them is not uncommon at all. Especially with a mag that is on the limits of tuning and particularly a big stick with lots of bullets in it.

2) If we look at the video below. The argument he made is the loose round, which is facing upwards (nose up), hits the disconnector. With the grip safety depressed (or pinned as a lot of competition guns are) it is quite possible that a hit to the disconnector could trip the sear and cause it to fire. Normally there isn't enough force from the round or mag bumping the disconnector to cause a fire, because the disconnector requires more rearward force from the trigger. But on guns where the trigger has been lightened a ton, it really doesn't take nearly as much effort to trip the gun like this.

An improperly fitted disconnector could also be to blame, where it is sticking a bit too far out into the mag well. In my opinion, this is a mechanical failure probably resulting from an out-of-spec disconnector and a trigger job that is too far. In running 1911s fast (admittedly not as fast as Joel Turner), I've never had such an issue occur. I'm sure it can, but I suspect this gun is just a bit too far on the light ignition system side. Some guys are all about those 2 pound pulls. I like a 4 pound pull for a reason. It keeps things nice and tidy in terms of tolerances, while not affecting shooting too much.

Freaky things can happen with guns and the AMU does such a high volume of firearms activity in so many disciplines that weirdness is to be expected periodically.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Didn't see the video. But saw the explanation, two things.

1) 2011 mags have relatively short (front-to-back) length feed lips. Having a round pop loose from them is not uncommon at all. Especially with a mag that is on the limits of tuning and particularly a big stick with lots of bullets in it.

2) If we look at the video below. The argument he made is the loose round, which is facing upwards (nose up), hits the disconnector. With the grip safety depressed (or pinned as a lot of competition guns are) it is quite possible that a hit to the disconnector could trip the sear and cause it to fire. Normally there isn't enough force from the round or mag bumping the disconnector to cause a fire, because the disconnector requires more rearward force from the trigger. But on guns where the trigger has been lightened a ton, it really doesn't take nearly as much effort to trip the gun like this.

An improperly fitted disconnector could also be to blame, where it is sticking a bit too far out into the mag well. In my opinion, this is a mechanical failure probably resulting from an out-of-spec disconnector and a trigger job that is too far. In running 1911s fast (admittedly not as fast as Joel Turner), I've never had such an issue occur. I'm sure it can, but I suspect this gun is just a bit too far on the light ignition system side. Some guys are all about those 2 pound pulls. I like a 4 pound pull for a reason. It keeps things nice and tidy in terms of tolerances, while not affecting shooting too much.

I saw the vid on FB and read through a pretty decent discussion from fellow competitive shooters. This is what the most authoritative offered in explanation also.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List