Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Inexpensive, decent quality AA pocket light?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar

Inexpensive, decent quality AA pocket light?

Doing my last minute Xmas shopping and my folks asked for a couple of pocket lights to use while walking out dog at night.

Only requirements are that it uses common batteries, ideally AAs, be inexpensive but of semi decent quality. I'm hoping to buy them ~4-5 so that they can leave them laying around the house/have backups if they break or get lost. Ideally ~$10-15 ea. Bonus points if they're Amazon Prime eligible.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by rob_s; 12-20-2018 at 11:50 AM.

Fenix E05. AAA keychain size, about $20 or so on Amazon Prime.

All my AA lights are $35 and up. Thrunite, Olight and Fenix.
    Last edited by LtDave; 12-20-2018 at 11:54 AM.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Doing my last minute Xmas shopping and my folks asked for a couple of pocket lights to use while walking out dog at night.

Only requirements are that it uses common batteries, ideally AAs, be inexpensive but of semi decent quality. I'm hoping to buy them ~4-5 so that they can leave them laying around the house/have backups if they break or get lost. Ideally ~$10-15 ea. Bonus points if they're Amazon Prime eligible.

Any thoughts?
    These (or similar) are my cheap "leave them around the house during a hurricane lights". Single AA, definitely not a P-F approved light, but they work for taking the dog out in the middle of the night. One of the down sides is that you have to cycle through high/low/strobe on the ones I have. https://www.amazon.com/MIKAFEN-Flash...led+flashlight

Much better are Microstreams. I keep a single AAA on the neck lanyard for following the dog out in the yard. Or you could upgrade to the 2 AAA Stylus.
    https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-M...ht+microstream
    Last edited by Hambo; 12-20-2018 at 12:27 PM.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I like this because of the pocket clip but if you're not careful those turrets will get your knuckles. Maybe not the best choice for everybody.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bushnell-...hoC4DEQAvD_BwE

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    These (or similar) are my cheap "leave them around the house during a hurricane lights". Single AA, definitely not a P-F approved light, but they work for taking the dog out in the middle of the night. One of the down sides is that you have to cycle through high/low/strobe on the ones I have. https://www.amazon.com/MIKAFEN-Flash...led+flashlight

Much better are Microstreams. I keep a single AAA on the neck lanyard for following the dog out in the yard. Or you could upgrade to the 2 AAA Stylus.
    https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-M...ht+microstream
    I'm a big fan of the Microstream and Stylus for a mini light. Microstream for pocket use, and I keep a Stylus in each car as a cheap "throw it in the glove compartment just in case" light.

Well my input may garner a few frowns, but I wear a AA Mini-Maglight on my belt every day. It's a darn good (and rugged) utility light for $15.00, and they are on Amazon.

While I own a couple of Streamlights and several Surefire flashlights (with Malkoff upgrades) the Mini-Mag light gets a lot of use.

Sure am liking my $19.99 Sidekick and it's been getting some use at work (ER)...just can't let the Doc's borrow it too often. I'd never get it back.

There are myriads of cheap AA flashlights. My current one is a Walmart product with pretty good beam out the end and a Larry type COB bar. The light is unmarked and I didn't save the box so I can't even say what to look for.

My experience with AAA lights has not been good. An old incandescent Solitaire and two cheap 'Three AAAs In A Basket To Look Like A Tactical 123' would not hold a charge. Maybe lights and batteries are better now.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I carry a Maglite Led Solitaire. I AAA battery. Not sure of the lumens but I think they are plenty bright for their size. Last time I bought some it was on Amozon. Around 10 ro 12 dollars each.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post

Any thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by robs9 View Post
    I carry a Maglite Led Solitaire. I AAA battery. Not sure of the lumens but I think they are plenty bright for their size. Last time I bought some it was on Amozon. Around 10 ro 12 dollars each.
    Maglite Solitaire LED 1-Cell AAA Flashlight Black - Basic Handheld Flashlights - Amazon.com
    $10, prime eligible, arrives before Christmas, black, blue, red, silver, and uses P-F.com link...

EDIT: Maglite Solitaire Incandescent 1-Cell AAA Flashlight Black - Basic Handheld Flashlights - Amazon.com, $6, ditto.
    Last edited by Drang; 12-20-2018 at 04:42 PM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List