Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rolling elbows up and in?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    I think this gets in the way of just gripping the gun. The more you roll the elbows and lock them, the weaker my grip seems to get because it causes me to break the angle of the wrist.
    Agreed and it will make your elbows hurt if you keep at it.

Quote Originally Posted by NoTacTravis View Post
    I might be guilty of resurrecting a zombie thread here but I've been working on my grip a lot in dryfire over the past two weeks and using the search function. The turn of phrase above has helped me a lot over the past couple of weeks.

I'm curious if people still hold their same opinions from this thread a couple of years later.
    A lot of the changes that I was making at the time of my post I’ve adopted and kept. Very neutral everything, grip with the hands, pay little attention to everything else. What your arms, elbows, and shoulders are doing should just be facilitating what your grip has established. If you focus on ANYTHING else, it should be your wrist tension and eliminating any movement there.

In December of 2018, I think I was still USPSA Production D class. I’m now 66% (B class). I don’t see me changing anything drastic with how I interface with the gun at this point.

I am now using a different method of gripping the gun- the Ken Nelson method - so my elbows are pointed more downward:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH9G...ature=emb_logo

Randy

I think that any sort of shooting, rolling the elbows over\under\not-at-all, that involves fully-extended\locked-out arms is going to induce some long-term issues with enough usage; what I teach and practice involves a minor bend in the elbows.

One of the things that I rather appreciate about a shooting grip with a strong counter-rotational component, is the increased ability imparted to the shooter to manage recoil even with pronounced bends in either or both elbows. When one must fire significantly at an angle departing the hip orientation but can still keep both hands on the gun, as with firing 2-handed towards the off-side, one may continue to apply counter-rotational tension onto the gun as the angle changes - minimizing distraction to the shooter as the weapon approaches the face and the muzzle-plane approaches intersection with the nearest ear, by allowing for effective recoil management with reduced approach. While preferable to reorient one's hip-orientation to match or near-match with the muzzle-line; circumstances or equipment may dictate otherwise. Influences may include being seated within a vehicle, using\not-using seatbelts\restraints if so, length of the weapon involved, the orientation of the seats sat upon (forward-facing or outward-facing), movement relative to the target, movement by the target relative to the shooter, and which side of the vehicle you might be seated in if at all.

It also absolutely shines for managing recoil when firing from a compressed high-ready with or without use of the sights, the #3 position within the ShivWorks world, or in the intermediate space between full-compression and full-extension - to include while actively moving from one state to the other.
    Jules
    Runcible Works

I quit shooting Glocks completely because the extra 4/5 degrees of grip angle. To get the sights in line in front of my eyes with my head up and shoulders relaxed, I had to roll my wrists a few degrees more than neutral... which raised my elbows... which created extra tension/engagement in my delta and tris.

That tension impacted consistency on the draw and performance at longer matches.

Some people like having that tension there and perform very well when locked into that position. I found it slower and less consistent into and out of positions than a more neutral, relaxed body position with less canted wrists and slightly low elbows.

Edit: see avatar, I guess.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Site Supporter
    Really the more I think of pistol shooting is it’s more the wrist downwards with the eyes calling the shot versus total stance. Elbows lokes causes me to tense and flinch. Plus it hurts

User Tag List