Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Revolvers and GIGN

Video of GIGN, including the revolver plate shot (3:25) and some cool simultaneous sniper fire.

“The lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves.” Machiavelli, The Prince

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I've only worked with BRI, no revolvers there.

It was a bunch of super fit, very intelligent, gray haired cops with a lot of experience. Impressive guys compared to the average SWAT team here in America, which is the functional equivalent.
    So I was contemplating this thing with the revolvers and French Cops. I think they are a cultural icon like 1911s and MP5s are for American cops.

France has two national police organizations, the National Police which has jusdiction over urban areas, essentially cities and towns over a certain size, and the Gendarmerie which has jurisdiction over the country side and Border Patrols. The Gendarmerie is more paramilitary than the national police and some of this is reflected in their premier tactical teams, NP’s BRI vs the Gendarmerie’s GIGN. Culturally think NYPD vs the US Border Patrol or the Texas Department if public Safety, very different cultures.

Here in TX, a 1911 in a floral carved rig is still a daily duty gun for many Rangers and rural sheriffs. Same for FBI SWAT/HRTs 1911s. Similarly back before the GWOT an MP5 was THE sign you were Tactical bad ass among US cops.

The TX DPS (which encompasses the Rangers) issue the 17 round SIG P320. They are aware of the strengths and weaknesses of the 1911. However, the 1911 and the floral carved rig are part of the “Officer Presence” that makes the Rangers, THE Rangers. I think the same is true of GIGN’s .357 revolvers.

In Europe, especially back in the day, city cops, if they were armed, carried .32 and .380 autos, later upgraded to 9mms and the standard long gun is a 9mm SMG such as an MP-5. MP5s are the Euro cops equivalent of a basic cruiser 870. In Euro cop culture if you are a bad ass, you carry a magnum revolver like those crazy American cowboys and if you are REALLY a bad ass, you have a shotgun. Why a shotgun? Because in Europe, our pedestrian shotgun is seen as a hunting weapon, too cruel and inhuman for use on humans so if you are authorized use one you must be a bad ass.
    Last edited by HCM; 12-22-2018 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Since shooting an MR73 a few years back, it's been high on my 'must have' wheel gun list.
    The only revolver higher on my priority list is a no-lock 4in model 29, because reasons.
    The MR73's are damn elusive though.
    Allan's Armory has three in right now.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    So I was contemplating this thing with the revolvers and French Cops. I think they are a cultural fetish like 1911s and MP5s are for American cops.

France has two national police organizations, the National Police which has jusdiction over urban areas, essentially cities and towns over a certain size, and the Gendarmerie which has jurisdiction over the country side and Border Patrols. The Gendarmerie is more paramilitary than the national police and some of this is reflected in their premier tactical teams, BRI and GIGN. Culturally think NYPD vs the US Border Patrol or the Texas Department if public Safety, very different cultures.

Here in TX, a 1911 in a floral carved rig is still a daily duty gun for many Rangers and rural sheriffs. Same for FBI SWAT/HRTs 1911s. Similarly back before the GWOT an MP5 was THE sign you were Tactical a bad ass among US cops.

Well in Europe, especially back in the day, city cops, if they were armed, carried .32 and .380 autos, later upgraded to single stack 9mms and the standard long gun was a 9mm SMG such as an MP-5. MP5s are the Euro cops equivalent of a basic cruiser 870. In Euro cop culture if you are a Tactical bad ass, you carried a magnum revolver like those crazy American cowboys and if you are REALLY a bad ass, you have a shotgun. Why a shotgun? Because in Europe, our pedestrian shotgun is seen as a hunting weapon, too cruel and inhuman for use on humans so if you use one you must be a bad ass licensed to kill like James Bond.
    That might be true. Interesting take.

Point of clarity #1: The Gendarmerie aren't just paramilitary, they're actually military. Combatant status under the laws of war, and are formally part of the French Armed Forces. This is why I can't stand it when cops in the US refer to other people as civilians. Ya'll bitches be fuckin' civilians. If we aren't in the fuckin' military, we're civilian. So unless your police powers come from Title 10 or Title 32 and you get a DD214 when you retire...….you're a civilian. (general "you" to the forum members who are still confused about what they are in life...not you personally, HCM).

Point of clarity #2: BRI are National Police, not Gendarmerie.

Quote Originally Posted by mkmckinley View Post
    Sheesh.....can't get 3" K-frames for that price.

That's killer.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Since shooting an MR73 a few years back, it's been high on my 'must have' wheel gun list.
    What in particular impressed you? How was the trigger compared to a K-frame? I'd think because of how beefy they are it'd be more similar to an L/N frame or GP100.
    Last edited by TGS; 12-22-2018 at 09:22 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    That might be true. Interesting take.

Point of clarity #1: The Gendarmerie aren't just paramilitary, they're actually military. Combatant status under the laws of war, and are formally part of the French Armed Forces. This is why I can't stand it when cops in the US refer to other people as civilians. Ya'll bitches be fuckin' civilians. If we aren't in the fuckin' military, we're civilian. So unless your police powers come from Title 10 or Title 32 and you get a DD214 when you retire...….you're a civilian. (general "you" to the forum members who are still confused about what they are in life...not you personally, HCM).

Point of clarity #2: BRI are National Police, not Gendarmerie.

That's killer.

What in particular impressed you? How was the trigger compared to a K-frame? I'd think because of how beefy they are it'd be more similar to an L/N frame or GP100.
    I though I was clear BRI was the national police’s “SWAT” vs the Gendarmerie’s GIGN which is more like HRT /BORTAC, both of which have more diverse, global and “ Military-ish” missions Than normal US police SWAT teams.

The Gendarmeries duties in general encompass those similar US CBP and the US Coast Guard. The coast guards dual LE/military role is the closest US equivalent.

Agency culture makes a difference. In most of NYPD being a “gun buff” or a Hunter makes you an anomaly where as in TX DPS not being a gun buff or a hunter would make you an anomaly.

On another note, I really like the MR88 revolvers. Especially the 3” model. You can see the Ruger six series influence.
    Last edited by HCM; 12-22-2018 at 09:44 PM.

Hopefully, we will someday be able to purchase a new MR73 vice a worn out one. This is my "The gun" if I could have one.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    \
    France has two national police organizations, the National Police which has jusdiction over urban areas, essentially cities and towns over a certain size, and the Gendarmerie which has jurisdiction over the country side and Border Patrols. T
    Just as a heads up, while I'm not familiar with legal jurisdiction, Gendarmerie foot patrols are a common sight in Paris.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Just as a heads up, while I'm not familiar with legal jurisdiction, Gendarmerie foot patrols are a common sight in Paris.
    Being the capitol I’m sure there is stuff there in their wheel house. As I recall you will see French soldiers on foot patrol also, at least near higher profile targets like rail stations etc. Paris also has a municipal police force, some of whom are now armed.

Site Supporter

That's killer.
    Man that's tempting. Just when I thought I didn't need a revolver

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

That's killer.
    Certainly is killer. #thinkingbadthoughts ...
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List