Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Revolvers and GIGN

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar

Revolvers and GIGN

Saw this article on Twitter. Not sure how much is accurate, but I figured folks here might enjoy reading it. Here's an excerpt:

The Groupe d’Intervention de la Gendarmerie Nationale, better known by its abbreviated name GIGN, which translates to National Gendarmerie Intervention Group in English, remains France's premier counter-terrorism and hostage rescue unit. Since its founding shortly after the terrorist acts in Munich in 1973, GIGN has risen to prominence among the world's counter-terrorism community. But one piece of gear in particular not only differentiates the unit from others, but it is also deeply ingrained in its lore and tradition—the revolver, and in particular, the French-built Manurhin MR73.

The revolvers are issued to each GIGN member for symbolic reasons as well as utilitarian ones. A passage from a 2014 issue of the official Gendarmerie information magazine states:

"Respect of human life and fire discipline have always been taught to group members since inception, and each new member is traditionally issued with a 6 shot .357 revolver as a reminder of these values."

GIGN's deep relationship with the revolver gets pretty intense beyond any outright symbolism. Apparently, the unit still practices a 'trust shot' as part of new member initiations where a team member wearing body armor puts a clay pigeon over their center of mass and the newly minted GIGN operator shoots the disc from 15 yards. This type of thing is very rare, at least officially, in elite western law enforcement and special operations units these days, but GIGN seems to have continued with the practice, which is also tied directly to the MR73 revolver.

https://twitter.com/@twitter/status/https://twitter.com/PLP178151/status/887921224436912128?s=19

Over the years semi-automatic pistols have become more reliable and accurate, so the revolver's relevance outside of very specific situations has waned. But still, the MR73, in particular, is a very well built, heavy, and highly accurate revolver and is widely regarded as being among the finest 'wheel guns' ever built. Clearly, GIGN sees it as a lightsaber of sorts—an elegant weapon whose time may have largely passed for all but the most capable operators. But for those who can employ it with extreme efficiency, it still remains a potent, if not superior in some respects, tool for many applications.

Name:  message-editor_1545100442076-ddddww.jpg
Views: 2667
Size:  56.2 KB
    Again, no idea how much is accurate, but there's more links and photos in the main article.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

I’ve got a real soft spot in my heart for the story of GIGN and their Manurhin MR73s. I’ve read that the gun was engineered specifically to keep up with the GIGN CT dudes’ 150 round-per-day qual habits. At any rate, thanks for posting. I need to own an MR73 before I shuffle off the planet.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I've only worked with BRI, no revolvers there.

It was a bunch of super fit, very intelligent, gray haired cops with a lot of experience. Impressive guys compared to the average SWAT team here in America, which is the functional equivalent.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I think they were also issued S&W 586-7 L comped Performance Center guns. I missed a chance to pick up an overrun
    At local gunstore years back for only $500, they had two.

Site Supporter
    The more I read about the GIGN the more and more I respect them. Same goes for their cousins in the French military. Frosty professionals that focus on being better than they are at everything, and care not one wit what the rest of the world thinks about it. There's a hell of a lot to admire in that.

Since shooting an MR73 a few years back, it's been high on my 'must have' wheel gun list.
    The only revolver higher on my priority list is a no-lock 4in model 29, because reasons.
    The MR73's are damn elusive though.

My understanding is that GIGN has largely transitioned to the Glock 17, some individuals use the Sig SP2022/226 and that though the MR73 is still authorized it is usually only carried by the old(er) guys. This has come since the launch of the GWOT where GIGN's role has expanded considerably, what started out as a unit that was akin to the FBI HRT has now turned into something more DELTA-like, while still being a law enforcement (as opposed to strictly military) unit. GIGN now has considerable experience on the ground in Afghanistan as well as the various French colonial hotspots. They've tasked with not only hostage rescue and domestic counter-terror operations, but also foreign counter-terror ops. In all of those scenarios, they've come to be equipped, in many respects, like most special forces units globally. Primarily HK416s/4172s and Glock 17/19 handguns.

At least that's what my current research and hours spent translating French texts suggests. I've been writing a book series where the protagonist is a dual-citizen (American-French) GIGN Operator. It's set in the very recent past, present, and near future, so I've been striving for as much clarity as I can about armament, tactics, unit structure, etc. (And hell yes he carries an MR73).
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 12-18-2018 at 06:09 PM.

Really cool, thanks for sharing. 🔥🙏
    “The lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves.” Machiavelli, The Prince

Site Supporter
    Having read about GIGN and their MR73's, I considered adding the revolver to my stable...until I looked at the price tag. I decided I could better spend that type of coin on ammunition for my service pistol. That said, I understand the lust for one.

Rob, please keep us advised when you're published.
    Last edited by jnc36rcpd; 12-18-2018 at 06:33 PM.

Site Supporter
    @RevolverRob - Have you know published any of those books? I’d be interested in them. PM me with info if so.

Quote Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
    I think they were also issued S&W 586-7 L comped Performance Center guns. I missed a chance to pick up an overrun
    At local gunstore years back for only $500, they had two.
    I don't really care for Klondike Bars, but I'd do terrible things for one of those revolvers.

User Tag List