Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Revolvers and GIGN

@jetfire I don't think those agencies were DAO because it's necessarily better, they were DAO because of liability reasons. One famous LAPD shooting had the Sgt thumb cock his 4506 for a hostage shot.

I personally like Denny Reichard's idea that the single action is a nice option to have for a distance shot. I get what you're saying about double action being better for fast close work.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
    @jetfire I don't think those agencies were DAO because it's necessarily better, they were DAO because of liability reasons. One famous LAPD shooting had the Sgt thumb cock his 4506 for a hostage shot.

I personally like Denny Reichard's idea that the single action is a nice option to have for a distance shot. I get what you're saying about double action being better for fast close work.
    Don't forget that old time revolver shooting experts like Ed McGivern and John Fitzgerald were exhibiting, writing about, and teaching double action shooting back in the 20's and 30's- not to mention Bill Jordan and others later on.

From what I've read, it would appear that DAO would have been the preferred means for the more 'switched on' shooters and trainers.

It may even be possible that they pushed the liability thing as a reason to get rid of the SA crutch in service revolvers- pure speculation on my part.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    In the book “No Second Place Winner,” Bill Jordan lists the ability to cock the revolver for long distance shots of 200 yards as an advantage. In fairness, if I recall correctly, he also discussed removing the hammer spur in some circumstances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    First, I had one of the supposed "GIGN" S&W 586 over-runs. I wasn't impressed enough to keep it.

Second, when I went to the academy in 1973 they were still teaching single action fire for 25 and 50 yards (PPC revolver course). Almost 9 years later I got my job as the department's chief firearms instructor because of two instances where deputies had accidental discharges after cocking their revolvers. One shot a car trying to lower the hammer. The other one shot a suspect he was trying to handcuff. Both resulted in law suits the county paid for.

For the 40% of our department still carrying revolvers I taught strictly DA fire and that shooting Magnum ammunition.

Dave

This thread has taken a turn for the weird. I mean, with regard to wheel guns and best practices, it’s 2021, not 1971.

Smooth, long, front sight. Repeat.

JMO.

Signed, spurless in spokane.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Mt Olympus, Los Angeles, CA, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    This thread has taken a turn for the weird. I mean, with regard to wheel guns and best practices, it’s 2021, not 1971.

Smooth, long, front sight. Repeat.

JMO.

Signed, spurless in spokane.
    It’s 2021 indeed. Front sight is a crutch for them that can’t handle collimating optics.

Name:  Mateba 2006M.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  34.9 KB
    Michael@massmeans.com | Zeleny@post.harvard.edu | westcoastguns@gmail.com | larvatus prodeo @ livejournal | +1-323-363-1860 | “If at first you don’t succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.” — Curly Howard, 1936 | “All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.” — Samuel Beckett, 1984

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    ...it’s 2021, not 1971.
    Totem,

Did you miss the part about, "...I taught strictly DA fire..." That was in the early 1980s.

Sorry but you don't know anything about DA revolver shooting that hasn't been known and practiced for a long time.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    Totem,

Did you miss the part about, "...I taught strictly DA fire..." That was in the early 1980s.

Sorry but you don't know anything about DA revolver shooting that hasn't been known and practiced for a long time.

Dave
    Ease up on the hammers, Tex. I’m referring to the thread as a whole, and the debate, not you personally.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    I’m going top a gun range/restaurant called DAO Tortas.

Real Mexican food and only DAO shooting allowed.

I have this inexplicable urge to dial a rotary phone.

User Tag List