Thread: Why It's Not A Good Idea To Carry A Speedloader Loose In One's Pocket

Why It's Not A Good Idea To Carry A Speedloader Loose In One's Pocket

Just a quick FYI for fellow revo carriers. Last week, when carrying my Ruger Security Six, I had 3 speedloaders for reloads (Safariland Comp II K-Frame speedloaders, which actually work just fine for the -Six revos, and are slightly smaller/less bulky than the Comp IIs Safariland specifically designates for the -Six); 2 of the speedloaders were carried in a Bianchi dual speedloader case on my strong sied, just ahead of my IWB holster (and yes, they're actually concealable when wearing a suitably-sized outer garment, in my case a Propper Icon softshell vest).

The remaining speedloader was carried loose in my vest's strong side handwarmer pocket. Wen I go home and was de-gearing for the night, I was a bit shocked to discover that a normal-sized paper clip had perfectly vertically wedged itself in with one of the cartridges...

My wife had given me the day's mail in the morning to put in our mailbox, and had neatly paper-clipped the envelopes together; on mailing, I had removed the paper clip and placed in in the same pocket as the speedloader. Mr. Murphy promptly took over from there.

It was pretty tightly wedged in; I removed it before actuating the cartridge release, but I'm certain that it would have made reloading highly problematic-at a minimum, the one cartridge wouldn't have moved, and I'm not sure with the paper clip inserted if the speedloader could have physically been inserted far enough into the cylinder to have actuated the cartridge release.

Lesson learned: Loose reloading devices are probably best avoided in general, but if situationally necessary, one needs to scrupulously check and ensure the pocket is free of debris that could work their way into the speedloader/loading device and inhibit function.

Ruefully Best, Jon

Nothing per se wrong with speedloaders, in fact no mode of revolver reloading is faster AFAIK, but their mode of carry needs to be both accessible and free of any risk of debris interfering with their proper deployment.

I have never carried any speedloader in a pocket.

I use Matt Del Fatti's SLC and SLC-2 carriers for different types of speedloaders, and these mount securely on the belt, are comfortable, concealable and quick.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

I dunno. I’ve carried HKS speedloaders in jacket and vest pockets a lot over the years, and never had an issue. The only caveat: if a loader is in the pocket, there is absolutely *nothing* else in there, unless it’s a second HKS.

OMMV.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Moderator, Please Move To Revolver Area Of The Forum

Mods (and everybody), my bad-mods, please move to Revolver portion of the forum. Guess I was in a brain freeze when initially posting.

Best, Jon

Why It's Not A Good Idea To Carry A Speedloader With Other Loose Crap In One's Pocket.

FIFY

Just like carrying a gun in a pocket, there should be nothing else in that pocket if you're planning on using that speedloader for anything other than an administrative reload.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Lol....pretty much sums it up.

Of course, another advantage of using a fixed position case is that you have a guaranteed orientation of the speedloader when grasping for it-when loose in a pocket, you often get to fish around first to figure that out.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 12-18-2018 at 07:42 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Of course, another advantage of using a fixed position case is that you have a guaranteed orientation of the speedloader when grasping for it-when loose in a pocket, you often get to fish around first to figure that out.
    I have found that if pocket carrying a speedloader, the longer Safariland Comp III works better for fishing it out of the pocket in the correct orientation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have had a Comp-I for my 442 dump rounds in my pocket when other things worked their way into the center and got enough pressure to actuate the mechanism. As noted, its best not to carry other things in the same pocket as your speed loader. The same rule applies to speed strips... they tend to get tangled in things like key rings or flashlight lanyards.

I have really been wanting to try one or two of the Jox loader pouches to help keep the things out of my pockets, and easier to access.

User Tag List