Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do You Vary Your Grip Tightness Based on Shooting Task?

I'd like to think I clamp on the grip and it just does it's thing but I am aware that on some shots my grip is not as tight as on others. Just like on some shots my trigger pull is different. Or my sight picture is more or less refined. If I had to do one shot from 50 yards I would grip hard enough to ensure the sights remained on target through the trigger pull and the shot breaks. If I had to shoot 3 targets while moving 5 shots each, my grip would be much tighter. Just like the 5 yards shots my trigger finger would slapping and lose...whereas at 50 yards it would not. I want my grip to do two things. 1: Keep the gun properly aimed as a I pulled the trigger. Essentially so I do not pull the gun off target during the pull and 2: return the gun as quickly to the spot I want to take my next shot.

My suggestion is whatever you want the gun to do, grip hard enough to make it do that.
    A71593

Not on purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    I also think it is legit and want more details from @jetfire.
    I’m really bad at explaining nuanced concepts, but grip is how I hold the gun, recoil management is what I do with my chest, lats, and legs. So for example: if I’m shooting a Bill Drill at 7 yards trying to get a 1.95, my entire body from my calves up is engaged in the process of recoil management, because I want to be a gun platform that takes all the energy from the gun and disperses through large muscle groups.

It’s less a “distance” question and more a “time” calculation. If I’m shooting a 1 inch square at 5 yards on a tight par, my whole body will be engaged in recoil because it’s “Important” that the gun tracks flat fast. The flip side is if I’m shooting Dot Torture at 7 yards or 25 yard groups with no part time, my grip pressure is the same as it is at 5 yards on that bill drill, but the rest of my body is FAAAAAR more relaxed, because now it’s not as important that the gun track flat RIGHT AWAY.
    Last edited by jetfire; 12-17-2018 at 11:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nwhpfan View Post
    ...whatever you want the gun to do, grip hard enough to make it do that.
    ^^^That's a quote to remember.

I'll add: don't grip any harder than than you need to. It's hard to learn what that takes, and it isn't the same for all guns. For example I have to grip the living fuck out of an LCP but not a Shadow2. I get a lot more tired shooting a mousegun.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

At least, I find that I grip looser for a single precise shot than for a Bill Drill where I crush it.
    The minute I tell myself to crush it for a Bill Drill, the whole thing goes to shit. Trigger freeze, pushing down a gun etc.
    I try to crush with my support hand on everything, I try to relax my strong hand on everything. I find that this works best for every task, and promotes consistency.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    I’m really bad at explaining nuanced concepts, but grip is how I hold the gun, recoil management is what I do with my chest, lats, and legs. So for example: if I’m shooting a Bill Drill at 7 yards trying to get a 1.95, my entire body from my calves up is engaged in the process of recoil management, because I want to be a gun platform that takes all the energy from the gun and disperses through large muscle groups.

It’s less a “distance” question and more a “time” calculation. If I’m shooting a 1 inch square at 5 yards on a tight par, my whole body will be engaged in recoil because it’s “Important” that the gun tracks flat fast. The flip side is if I’m shooting Dot Torture at 7 yards or 25 yard groups with no part time, my grip pressure is the same as it is at 5 yards on that bill drill, but the rest of my body is FAAAAAR more relaxed, because now it’s not as important that the gun track flat RIGHT AWAY.
    Interestingly, TPC advocates tension from the gun to your elbows, then staying relaxed from your elbows through the core all the way to the knees, then tension from knees to the ground. They do a number of demos comparing recoil with and without core tension to make their point.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I also think it is legit and want more details from @jetfire.
    I interpret that to mean the whole package of posture, shoulders, pecs that goes into running a pistol hard and fast - other than grip. That is one can relax those aspects to some degree while forearms and grip are consistent. Plus the post ignition push @GuanoLoco just mentioned.

I would say that is how I stand up and shoot a slowfire group at 25 yds
    Last edited by JHC; 12-18-2018 at 06:50 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Interestingly, TPC advocates tension from the gun to your elbows, then staying relaxed from your elbows through the core all the way to the knees, then tension from knees to the ground. They do a number of demos comparing recoil with and without core tension to make their point.
    I wouldn't know how to begin coordinating that!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I wouldn't know how to begin coordinating that!
    I am not a practitioner of fan of the post-ignition push.

With respect to core and even leg tension, I have been experimenting, for static drills life FAST and G.W.S., with more of a ‘horse stance’ with outward pressure on the legs, and experimenting with/without core tension. Results have been promising.

I don’t think it would work the same for moving drills though.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    I am not a practitioner of fan of the post-ignition push.

With respect to core and even leg tension, I have been experimenting, for static drills life FAST and G.W.S., with more of a ‘horse stance’ with outward pressure on the legs, and experimenting with/without core tension. Results have been promising.

I don’t think it would work the same for moving drills though.
    re "post ignition push" - to quote Keith Richards, "It just happens mannn."

I never trained it. Only noticed it when I fail to get slide lock and think I've got another round. But I don't see it shooting slowfire. I think it's just there as a by product of the recoil management.
    Last edited by JHC; 12-18-2018 at 08:20 AM.

User Tag List