Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Vary Your Grip Tightness Based on Shooting Task?

Hammertime

Do You Vary Your Grip Tightness Based on Shooting Task?

I recently commented in @Rich Jenkins journal that a looser grip might be desirable for 25 yard slow fire tasks. At least, I find that I grip looser for a single precise shot than for a Bill Drill where I crush it.
    @GJM commented that he finds it helpful to have a consistent grip for all tasks.

I would be interested in other’s take on this.

I can see the value of having a consistent grip that is fairly tight, but not too tight to lock up the trigger finger or cause a tremor. I can also see the value of relaxing maximally for bullseye work to avoid fatigue and tremor. So long as the trigger doesn’t upset the grip.

Interestingly, a Bill Drill lasts less than five seconds, and ideally, a single precise shot is in about the same time window 4-8 seconds. So they would have nearly the same muscle fatigue requirements.

For me varying grip tension causes vertical stringing.

I grip the same - unless i'm doing it wrong or fatigued, tight enough to tremble and shake, then back it off until not shaking. So, pretty tight all the time.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

In my observation, relaxing the grip allows the trigger finger to overpower the support hand, rotating the weapon within the collective grip. Doing this at distance magnifies the resulting deviation in impacts.

I go full power on my grip(s) at all distances, though I may place a greater mental focus on the grip being vicing and wringing if I am committed to a high-roundcount/short-splits sequence of fire. I don’t relax my grip between the rounds fired within a sequence.
    Jules
    Runcible Works

Growing up with a K22 and K38 a fairly relaxed grip to knock a squirrel out a tree vs dumping a cylinder at a target double action with a harder grip didn't seem to cause problems. But heck, heavy steel and a single action K frame trigger pull of like 3 lbs with "glass rod breaks".

That does not appear to me to be so good in shooting my Glocks slowfire for precision vs speedy strings of fire. And if I lighten up too much SHO/WHO for Glock slowfire my shots seem to go high (recoil affect I assume).

Not that great with my 1911s either. I think I see shots drift right (I'm right handed) when I relax too much with a 1911 and my "1911 coach" tells me that's pretty typical.

Maintaining a strong grip for slowfire precision shots continues to be a challenge for me but I'm pretty sure it's the better way.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Maintaining a strong grip for slowfire precision shots continues to be a challenge for me but I'm pretty sure it's the better way.
    I agree. I find I grip the Beretta 92 really tight for the first DA shot because it is obviously better. I would like to think I would keep it that tight for every followup shot but I often find, at the end of string, that I have relaxed some. I find that too loose a grip for the DA shot means I will usually shoot low and maybe a little right. A relaxed grip for SA shots is OK accuracy wise, but the gun moves more so it takes it longer to settle back onto the target.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    I grip the same - unless i'm doing it wrong or fatigued, tight enough to tremble and shake, then back it off until not shaking. So, pretty tight all the time.
    This way works for me.

Hammertime
    Looks like I need to go back to the grip drawing board. Mostly, as with all things shooting, it makes sense that consistency is good.

I believe I grip least strong on extremely slow fire at 25, stronger for a fast draw to a single up close, and even stronger for a draw to multiple or Bill Drill.

This may explain why my multiple shot groups can be fairly inconsistent. My 25 yard and slow precision shooting has not suffered much from the looser grip though.

To folks that keep grip the same - do you regular group shooting? Like literally just slow fire just trying to put shots in same hole.

Just curious.
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

If I loosen up my grip while shooting my Glocks, I CONSISTENTLY push shots to the left (right handed shooter). The only way I can keep things centered with Glocks is to consistently and constantly grip the ever living dog $hi+ out of the gun with my support hand...

User Tag List