Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Since I haven’t seen the Mossberg 590 retro mentioned

Since I haven’t seen the Mossberg 590 retro mentioned

May as well throw a pic up up here. Handsome gauge, IMHO. The 500 (top) is nice and clean, too.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Hopefully, the safety / trigger guard will not be plastic. Semi-interested.

That's funny, I'm actually building one. Just for grins, I thought I would build a wood-stocked 590A1 SBS.

I got a 590A1 receiver for 90 bucks shipped on Gunbroker. Form 1's on e-file are only taking a couple of weeks. A barrel is going to Vang Comp to get their back-boring and forcing cone work with ports done after the stamp gets approved.

A cute little 14" SBS should be a lot of fun. I've already got the metal parts for the receiver - a new safety and trigger group are sitting on my desk.

Add a buffalo leather sling, and a giant honking gold bead on the front. Then have Brother Mike Pipes sprinkle it with holy water, and it shall be appropriately retro.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Hopefully, the safety / trigger guard will not be plastic. Semi-interested.
    It's a 590A1 - the 'A1' designation guarantees a metal trigger & guard assembly. Other sources are confirming the 590A1 Retrograde version has a metal trigger guard:

https://www.guns.com/news/2018/12/12...0-590-shotguns

Dealer cost is around $625 from most vendors I have access too. So that's a strong option for a working shotgun with a little panache.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    That's funny, I'm actually building one. Just for grins, I thought I would build a wood-stocked 590A1 SBS.

I got a 590A1 receiver for 90 bucks shipped on Gunbroker. Form 1's on e-file are only taking a couple of weeks. A barrel is going to Vang Comp to get their back-boring and forcing cone work with ports done after the stamp gets approved.

A cute little 14" SBS should be a lot of fun. I've already got the metal parts for the receiver - a new safety and trigger group are sitting on my desk.

Add a buffalo leather sling, and a giant honking gold bead on the front. Then have Brother Mike Pipes sprinkle it with holy water, and it shall be appropriately retro.
    Please for the love of god post pictures when it's done!!!
    Last edited by JRB; 12-17-2018 at 12:13 AM.

JRB - will do. The stain on the wood does not precisely match. The police fore-end came from eBay and the stock came from Gunbroker. I'll probably strip them down, and redo them with tung oil.

There is a local guy that will laser engrave the receiver for me too, so I don't have to ship that out.
    Last edited by SeriousStudent; 12-17-2018 at 12:19 AM. Reason: bad spellur

Well I don't have the cool ribbed fore end but I grabbed a 500 and slapped on a wood stock set. Little something to take with me when visiting ban states.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

The 590A1 retro (like other 590A1's) will have a metal safety and trigger housing - The 500 (like other 500's) will have polymer on both

I actually just finished building a similar gun to the 500 Retrograde - I had a 500 "classic" which had a polished bolt, gloss blued finish, I put on a bantam wood stock (13" LOP) and got a corn cob wood forend from Numrich for $30 -

The stain on both doesn't match 100% but very close, at about 90%, so I am leaving for now. Someday when I'm bored I'll remove both, strip down and stain to match perfectly.

I love the dark walnut they have done on both these guns, and the 590 shockwave "night stick" - great work from Mossberg. If 14" LOP wasn't so damn long for my short arms I would get the 590A1 version, but last thing I'd want to do is chop down that beautiful stock and rig up a new buttpad for it.

SeriousStudent - can you give us an approx parts/price list for the 590A1 SBS you are building? I am thinking of doing a similar route, with Magpul furniture, and didn't know if it could be more affordable to get a shockwave and Form 1 it, or go your route (I do like making a "correct" 590A1 SBS) - I know the Vang Comp work adds about $200-250 on the barrel - if you don't mind sharing -
    Last edited by ricky_bobby; 12-17-2018 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    It's a 590A1 - the 'A1' designation guarantees a metal trigger & guard assembly. Other sources are confirming the 590A1 Retrograde version has a metal trigger guard:

https://www.guns.com/news/2018/12/12...0-590-shotguns

Dealer cost is around $625 from most vendors I have access too. So that's a strong option for a working shotgun with a little panache.
    This is my understanding, and my takeaway, as well.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by ricky_bobby View Post

SeriousStudent - can you give us an approx parts/price list for the 590A1 SBS you are building? I am thinking of doing a similar route, with Magpul furniture, and didn't know if it could be more affordable to get a shockwave and Form 1 it, or go your route (I do like making a "correct" 590A1 SBS) - I know the Vang Comp work adds about $200-250 on the barrel - if you don't mind sharing -
    Will do, once I get all the parts and paperwork. Geez, I just realized this will be my fourth. A thread for each, or one silly-long mega-thread?

As far as costs, I guess it would be cheapest to just get the Shockwave and do the Form 1 for $200, then add a stock.

But considering that you will likely never sell or dispose of any NFA item, I'd rather spend an extra hundred or so and set it up exactly how I want it.

I knew if I kept my wood stocked shotguns long enough they would be back in style.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

User Tag List