Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Would you work with this guy ?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by X-Phile336 View Post
    I guess I’m missing something on this. At my agency, once the dog retires to the handler, it becomes his property to deal with in its entirety, including any and all food, shelter and medical costs. Kind of a ‘if it’s not on our payroll, it’s not our problem anymore’ thing. What did this animal do to deserve all the accolades and make his agency gloss over the fact it was someone else’s personal liability to deal with? Like I said though, unless I’m missing something. Are the taxpayers there are still paying for its food and medical and he’s defrauding that agency?
    You are very much missing something but to those of us that get it you answered your own question.

You said:
    once the dog retires to the handler, it becomes his property to deal with in its entirety
    You appear to look at the dog like any other piece of property. By the letter of the law you may be correct but you are 100% wrong.

Dogs are sentient creatures, with feelings which bond to their human owners. This bond must be even stronger for a working dog as it is what the dog works for. A working dog is a partner just like any human partner except when the dog retired the dog became the handlers responsibility. This officer met that responsibility by dumping his partner in a shelter as soon as he wasn’t a ticket to free shit. He fucked over his partner. Plain and simple.

What would you think if one of the officers you worked with got shot in the line of duty and while he was in the hospital recovering one of your other shift partners took advantage of the situation to start banging the injured officers wife ? It’s not illegal but it’s still a shitty thing to do and shows your shift partner is a POS and not to be trusted. That I exactly how I view the officer who violated his K9 partners trust.

As far as him being reassigned, actions that are not illegal but make the department look bad are usually referred to as “conduct unbecoming.” Officers get demoted or disciplined for this all the time.

Policing is a “people job.” It requires both IQ and “EQ” or “Emotional Intelligence.” In 22 years of LE I’ve seen a lot of cops who are bad people and have done horrible things. I’ve even had to help arrest one. If you cant see how abandoning a former partner who is now completely dependent on you to a shelter is morally wrong I really have to wonder if you belong in law enforcement.
    Last edited by HCM; 12-24-2018 at 12:10 AM.

HCM: A conduct unbecoming for a guy dropping off a (presumably free-and-clear) lawfully and *privately owned* domestic animal to the shelter that he can't or doesn't want to deal with anymore (assuming that’s legally allowed where he lives and he’s not in violation of existing policy)? I’m not an expert, but that sounds like the very definition of arbitrary and capricious disciplinary practices - the bread and butter of labor attorneys. Doubly so if this guy happens to fall within a protected class, such as race or ethnicity.

I will agree this guy could have acted a little more honorably and tried to offload the K-9 to someone else, but regarding department discipline stemming from actions involving private property ownership rights, I'll just have to agree to disagree with you on this. Although, it sounds like we could make a good odd-couple; I’m dead inside and you’re overtly emotional.
    Remember the children of Beslan.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by X-Phile336 View Post
    HCM: A conduct unbecoming for a guy dropping off a (presumably free-and-clear) lawfully and *privately owned* domestic animal to the shelter that he can't or doesn't want to deal with anymore (assuming that’s legally allowed where he lives and he’s not in violation of existing policy)? I’m not an expert, but that sounds like the very definition of arbitrary and capricious disciplinary practices - the bread and butter of labor attorneys. Doubly so if this guy happens to fall within a protected class, such as race or ethnicity.

I will agree this guy could have acted a little more honorably and tried to offload the K-9 to someone else, but regarding department discipline stemming from actions involving private property ownership rights, I'll just have to agree to disagree with you on this. Although, it sounds like we could make a good odd-couple; I’m dead inside and you’re overtly emotional.
    Normal people like dogs. Those people vote and the people they vote for are the ones who provide (or don’t provide) your Department budget.

How many cops have been fired or disciplined for unbecoming social media postings ? Again, not illegal but if it makes the Dept look bad.

Not to mention every defense attorney worth his salt in the Jackson MS area will try and bring up that dog any time the officer in question has to testify. Juries like dogs too.

That is true. My old boss always said you could beat the crap out of your neighbor, just don't kick the dog on your way out. Although, I fail to see how this guy's actions would affect his truth or veracity for testimony purposes.

Regardless, have a Merry Christmas, HCM, and a very safe new year.
    Remember the children of Beslan.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I'm assuming everyone has had their pound of flesh and I'm not seeing a technical aspect. As such, thread is closed.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List