Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you stress test your technical shooting skill level?

deleted after reading through thread
    Last edited by Otaku.edc; 12-17-2018 at 01:51 PM.
    “The lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves.” Machiavelli, The Prince

Site Supporter
    While not particularly stressful, I do spend significant time shooting up the house with a SIRT. I posted one of the dot target drills from Guerilla Approach (https://guerrillaapproach.com/produc...y-target-free/) and have at it. I also dry fire the real guns and found doing what with my 1911, safety on, come to eye level, safety off is very useful. I don't mess up the safety off on a draw at a match (famous last words - wait for it).

I found FOF very useful, esp. the pre and post 'gun fight' interactions, the fleeing in terror when that seemed a plan, etc. esp. useful.

To get back to matches, fast multiple target shoots - well, when my wife and I faced what might have been a criminal interrogation from 4 guys - a response plan was in my head for the draw, etc. Luckily said folks seemed to evaluate it was time, not to get out of their car and moved on. Of course, I could have misread them. Stopping a couple walking at night down the street was a touch odd though, to ask a question that was out of place.

As we backed away toward the rear of the car and I said, Sorry - can't help you - the image and motor imaging of the scenario was in my head as quickly doable. Does that sound chest beating - but it's true.

Why walk at night in our good neighborhood? San Antonio, day time inferno.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    I am open to any ideas on this.
    I don't make a regular practice of it but I've laid down a few bets with my eldest son "right here, right now, $20 says I whip you shooting drill xyz." If he were not a strong pistol shooter it'd be worthless. If he was one of a couple of far superior shooters I know it would be self abuse although its crossed my mind a few times to see what I could deliver.

I'm aware of shooters who put severe PT penalties for down points. Returning again to a shoot my younger son and I did with K.B.: On the LAPD SWAT qual against reduced scoring areas it was a pullup for each dropped point. I owed 19 and my son owed about 30 I think. I burned with humiliation.
    Last edited by JHC; 12-17-2018 at 02:30 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I’ll make another couple of points about testing yourself and your shooting skill.

Before finding IPSC competition, I was a “Tactical Timmy”, who attended a bunch of pistol courses, and shot numerous drills posted here. I dry practiced almost daily, and I thought I could shoot pretty well. I was usually the best shooter in all the classes I did. I just went back and checked and at my first IPSC match I shot 46% of the top shooters. It was a huge eye opener for me to know exactly where I stood in the grand scheme, eand I suspect competing would be as humbling and eye opening for others as it was for me.

Also, one of the things I have done to put pressure on myself in my training is to post video’s and results of my cold runs in my training journal. Weather they were good or bad, I would post them. It puts a moderate amount of pressure on you to perform, and if you are honest about your skills, works pretty well to induce stress.
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 12-17-2018 at 02:57 PM.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

I am open to any ideas on this.
    You live in perhaps the greatest shooting state in the US, and within miles of the fountainhead of modern shooting technique. I suspect there are more serious shooters per acre around you than in any other county in the country. Find some, make sure they own timers, and start some time efficient competition to stress test your and their ability.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    I’ll make another couple of points about testing yourself and your shooting skill.

Before finding IPSC competition, I was a “Tactical Timmy”, who attended a bunch of pistol courses, and shot numerous drills posted here. I dry practiced almost daily, and I thought I could shoot pretty well. I was usually the best shooter in all the classes I did. I just went back and checked and at my first IPSC match I shot 46% of the top shooters. It was a huge eye opener for me to know exactly where I stood in the grand scheme, eand I suspect competing would be as humbling and eye opening for others as it was for me.
    So what is is about competition that causes the improvement? Is it the act of competition itself and getting used to the pressure so that more of your available performance is available on demand? Or is it the butt kicking that leads to self examination that leads to more focused training, etc?

Site Supporter
    Yes.^^^

So what is is about competition that causes the improvement? Is it the act of competition itself and getting used to the pressure so that more of your available performance is available on demand? Or is it the butt kicking that leads to self examination that leads to more focused training, etc?
    It’s both, for me anyway. Also, I hate not being great at anything I apply time and money to.

There are levels of good in competition. Being the best at your local match virtually means nothing until you go to regional, state (provincial), national. Until you compete, you really don’t know what those levels are.

It’s for that reason I now tend to look for instructors who have a competition background, especially if I am looking at a pistol class. If you have competition and LE/Military background that is a huge bonus IMO. Ernest Langdon comes to mind.
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 12-17-2018 at 08:47 PM.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    It’s both, for me anyway. Also, I hate not being great at anything I apply time and money to.

There are levels of good in competition. Being the best at your local match virtually means nothing until you go to regional, state (provincial), national. Until you compete, you really don’t know what those levels are.

It’s for that reason I now tend to look for instructors who have a competition background, especially if I am looking at a pistol class. If you have competition and LE/Military background that is a huge bonus IMO. Ernest Langdon comes to mind.
    Many of the “tactical” guys have both competition and LE/MIL backgrounds. Pat Mac, Mike Pannone, and Frank Proctor come to mind. Bruce Gray has some interesting real world background. While not action pistol, I recall Steve Fisher was at one time a very serious long range rifle competitor.

As others have already said, for me, the answer has been "both," but there's more to it than just that; competition also gives you the opportunity to learn from people who are better than you who you might not otherwise meet or interact with. I highly recommend finding and joining the squad with the most competitive shooters at your local match, telling them you're new and that you want to learn. It's highly likely that they'll be friendly and willing to teach you things. Soak it up like a sponge.

User Tag List