Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The oldest daughter doing mounted cowboy action shooting PIC HEAVY

Site Supporter
    A tad of thread drift here. In years past I knew a man whose home defense load was a 4 inch Mod 25 .45 Colt loaded with black powder blanks custom loaded for him. A compressed charge of slow black powder set on top of a charge of Bullseye pistol powder, and the total charge was help in place with a cardboard wad and wax plug crimped in. This gentleman was blind.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Boss Godfrey in the movie Cool Hand Luke was known as the "man with no eye". Hey Lost, ask your daughter to look at his sunglasses. Perhaps they are "cool enough" for her to choose a similar pair to protect her eyes. From a technical point, almost any eyewear would suffice, cheap or expensive. The trick is to find a pair that complements her attire. Stylish may be the key word. The child may associate shooting glasses with corrective shoes. This lovely young woman has poise and beauty enough to ride into the realm of high class magazines or film. Hence, her "sunglasses" must fit the image that she projects.

My daughter and I had a good talk about this. I explained to her not only the typical dangers of firearms, but specifically of blackpowder. I also told her she can wear any type of safety glasses she chooses, as long as she wears them always. Just like a seat belt.

I have never been one of those dads who says "oh don't touch that, that's dangerous". I simply show the kids the safe/proper way to do things, and go from there.

When she was little, many of the things that teachers (and society in general) said she was not allowed to touch, I taught her how to handle properly.

To my way of thinking that seemed a better way than having her be afraid of everything.

Now she is confident and is willing to try things.

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    I've always wondered, since the guns are being fired right by the horse's head, do they get hearing protection, or just live with horsey tinnitus?

The horses have their own earplugs. Plus they are conditioned to the firing.

Some can get adjusted to it, and some never do.
    Last edited by Lost River; 12-17-2018 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Why couldn't this sort of match be done with motorcycles? I don't know if one could get a black-powder autoloader to run well for the match, but I guess .45 Colt or .44 magnum N-frames would work. There could be matches where the participants ride old motorcycles and dress like wartime dispatch riders.

It would be a tough match. The horses come to know the routes they run. Motorcycles, not so much.

Holy crap!

That would be a boatload of fun!!!

How about old motorcycles with sidecars, 1917s and 1911s!

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Why couldn't this sort of match be done with motorcycles? I don't know if one could get a black-powder autoloader to run well for the match, but I guess .45 Colt or .44 magnum N-frames would work. There could be matches where the participants ride old motorcycles and dress like wartime dispatch riders.

It would be a tough match. The horses come to know the routes they run. Motorcycles, not so much.
    Holy crap!

Speaking from pure ignorance, I don't know if one could cram enough black powder into a .45 ACP case to pop balloons at the distances needed (10-20'). The easiest thing to do would require the use of .45 Colt revolvers firing CMSA-approved cartridges. Instead of two guns (as they do in mounted shooting), there would be a mandatory reload. Twelve balloons instead of ten.

But yes, it could be a lot of fun. And it might be a lot cheaper to compete.
    Last edited by Stephanie B; 12-18-2018 at 08:58 AM.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Holy crap!

Ask Ken the next time you see him about doing something like that with his wife's Jeep with the doors off.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Hmmm.

Six classes:

WW1 motorcycle

WW1 bicycle

WW2 motorcycle

WW2 sidecar

WW2 Jeep/kugelwagon

Sicario (two-person team)
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List