View Poll Results: Best sight option for ghosting vision?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • XS big dot DXT/DXW

2 11.76%
  • Laser Grip/Laser Rail

7 41.18%
  • A 13th-c. Reverse edge Falchion from Trooper 224’s Polish Sword thread

5 29.41%
  • Something else I’ve forgotten to consider

4 23.53%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Sights of last resort, handgun edition

My near vision is not great. I've done a lot of experimentation over the last few years. Couple thoughts:

I like the Ameriglo CAPs much better than the Trijicon HDs. On both, the front is big and bright. But the Ameriglos are cheaper. Also, for me, it's harder to see the HD's U-shape rear notch. My eyes like sharp
    90 degree angles on the rear notch.

If you're shooting Glocks, the basic factory steel front sight has a HUGE white dot. It's extremely visible, and inexpensive. (Conversely, the Glock factory night sights have a smaller dot that's harder to see).

Oddball option: If you're shooting Glocks, an Ameriglo CAP front sight will sit perfectly in a steel Glock rear. It's my preferred sight picture for competition and carry. POI can be tweaked easily by using different height rears until your elevation is where you like it.

If you have an P2000, I can send you a set of XS Big Dots. I tried em and didn't like them.

I believe DocGKR has described the efficacy of green lasers for shooters with vision issues.

Good luck, and please let us know how you get on.
    Last edited by Mark D; 12-22-2018 at 01:20 AM.

I just thought of something else that has helped my 70 yr old eyes. I happen to prefer the old standby, three white dots. One day after I finished cleaning my wife's G19 I was doing my usual several dry fires and I noticed that the dots were very visible compared to our 92s. They are the standard Glock sights and the difference is that the rear surface of the sights are slanted forward so the dots get illuminated in more different lighting situations than the B92s. Berettas usually have a vertical surface w/ the dots recessed into a slight drilling. So I grabbed my EII and dremel
    20180620_080124 by craig stuard, on Flickr
    My next attempt on another B92 I drilled the hole for the dot a little deeper. That way, when I ground the surface at an angle, I still had a bit of a drilling for the paint to sink into. It took 4-5 applications and resting the gun at the proper angle while drying but the others are a bit better than my first attempt in the picture. I do the front sight the same.

User Tag List