Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Lightening the load - 340PD NL for carry

RFI: Lightening the load - 340PD NL for carry

This is just a thought at the moment.

I currently have a 442 for NPE carry. It has transitioned to a C(onstant)EDC item, but only as a primary in said NPEs. Primary mode of carry is front right pocket, but it may also ride in a AIWB or ankle holster depending on the situation.

I'm contemplating making my load a bit lighter. For those that have a 340PD, do you feel the ~20% weight reduction over the 442 was worth it in regards to carry and live fire? My carry ammo is 148gr LWC with Speer GD 125 +P for my reload.

I appreciate any input!

You will definitely notice the weight reduction. It is both good and bad. Good for carrying it all day, bad when you have to shoot it with anything more potent than the wadcutters. Unfun.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Site Supporter
    My 340 pd is much easier to pocket carry, and doesn't pull down on my pants, even with dress slacks. I never really could pocket carry a 442 in dress pants, and I had opted for the lcp for a long time before I decided I wasn't really comfortable with its reliability.
    I think the 340pd is well worth it. Not a ton of fun to shoot, but wearing a glove helps.

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    You will definitely notice the weight reduction. It is both good and bad. Good for carrying it all day, bad when you have to shoot it with anything more potent than the wadcutters. Unfun.
    Unfun. That's the word I was looking for the day I shot 100 rounds of 130 FMJs and 50 rounds of 125 +Ps through the 442. Actually, it was when I shot my G17 afterwards and it hurt....

I've learned my lesson.

Thanks for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by idahojess View Post
    My 340 pd is much easier to pocket carry, and doesn't pull down on my pants, even with dress slacks. I never really could pocket carry a 442 in dress pants, and I had opted for the lcp for a long time before I decided I wasn't really comfortable with its reliability.
    I think the 340pd is well worth it. Not a ton of fun to shoot, but wearing a glove helps.

Yep, even in somewhat loose fitting jeans the 442 pulls for me. Not a huge deal but summer shorts are a different story as well as slacks as you mentioned.

Thank you for your input!

I have a 340pd and pocket carry it daily. Empty, it is about 12 ounces compared to my 642 at 15 ounces. You could buy 2 642s for the price of the 340pd. Having said that, I find carrying the pd all day is more doable due to the lighter weight. Those 3 ounce weight savings adds up over the course of the day.

Now the shooting part. I carry Winchester .38 special Ranger 130 grain +P load. Recoil is brisk but controllable. Just for fun I shot 5 rounds of Winchester .357 145 grain Silvertip ammo. It was brutal...really, really brutal. I then shot a Gold Dot .357 135 grain ammo. Not as brutal as the Silvertip, more of a medium load based on recoil. So I am sticking with the .38 Ranger ammo and feel fine with it.

I think the trick to the J-frame for me is to find a grip that covers the backstrap of the revolver. This would add more grip to the area between my thumb and index finger. I think this would make the revolver more controllable. I continue to look for this type of grip. I just don't want to add bulk which seems like an oxymoron due to wanting a grip to cover the backstrap.

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    I have a 340pd and pocket carry it daily. Empty, it is about 12 ounces compared to my 642 at 15 ounces. You could buy 2 642s for the price of the 340pd. Having said that, I find carrying the pd all day is more doable due to the lighter weight. Those 3 ounce weight savings adds up over the course of the day.

Now the shooting part. I carry Winchester .38 special Ranger 130 grain +P load. Recoil is brisk but controllable. Just for fun I shot 5 rounds of Winchester .357 145 grain Silvertip ammo. It was brutal...really, really brutal. I then shot a Gold Dot .357 135 grain ammo. Not as brutal as the Silvertip, more of a medium load based on recoil. So I am sticking with the .38 Ranger ammo and feel fine with it.

I think the trick to the J-frame for me is to find a grip that covers the backstrap of the revolver. This would add more grip to the area between my thumb and index finger. I think this would make the revolver more controllable. I continue to look for this type of grip. I just don't want to add bulk which seems like an oxymoron due to wanting a grip to cover the backstrap.
    If you can stomach a Taurus grip on a $700 Smith order the #5-20880 from Taurus It works.

Site Supporter
    Doesn’t Crimson Trace make a LaserGrip that accommodates only 2 fingers but covers the backstrap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Doesn’t Crimson Trace make a LaserGrip that accommodates only 2 fingers but covers the backstrap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The 405
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

It is dependent upon the individual item of clothing, but, yes, 2 ounces can make the difference between merely covered and totally concealed. One example is one particular Moonstone rain jacket’s pockets.

That two ounces does, indeed, make a difference in felt recoil, and that difference feels all out of proportion to the percentage of weight difference. I used to be able to handle reasonable amounts of 158-grain +P LSWCHP, fired from my Model 642-based PC snub-gun, but could not find anything except target HBWCs that I could tolerate, right-handed, with the original-version Airlite Ti J-snub. My healthier left hand could do better, but nothing +P, and only in limited quantities.

Airlite Ti J-snubs are to be carried much, and fired very seldom.

I sold my first Airlite Ti J, which was in the very early days of their being available, but when I started the retirement process, from LEO-ing, and “NPE” became a factor, I bought a pair of replacements. (The LEOSA is full of gray areas.)
    Last edited by Rex G; 12-17-2018 at 01:03 PM.

User Tag List