Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RFI: Lightening the load - 340PD NL for carry

IME, the pleasant perception of the very light weight of the 340PD is quite noticeable for CCW as compared to, say, the S&W Airweights or Ruger LCRs.

As one who at one point had the unrealistically-optimistic perspective to shoot quite a lot of premium commercial .357 Magnum through these little guns (I have two of them), I'm sure that almost any variety of typical .38 Special WC (except perhaps Buffalo Bore's 150gr WCs) should seem reasonably non-punishing for any reasonable amount of practice.

"Carried much, shot little" is a good way to regard these little pistolas, and if your chosen WC load in fact hits to POA, the extra felt recoil due to the lack of gun mass is certainly worth it, at least to me. (I carry mine with .38 Special Gold Dot short barrel 135gr+P JHP, since that load hits to POA.)

OTOH, if you were required to practice frequently and extensively with heavy .38 Special+P loads, I'd certainly pick a heavier "snubby", regardless of the extra discomfort for CCW.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

I had my 442 out today at the indoor range so I was limited to low ready drills. I was also shooting with the idea of the 340 in the back of my head given the excellent responses I've gotten here.

I think that in the next month or so I will order one in. The damn thing is expensive enough that I want to make sure it isn't just a passing fancy.

I still welcome any further input, I'm sure someone else down the line may have the same idea as I.

Name:  J Weights.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  55.6 KB
    I had posted this prior, but thought might be interested to those here.

My motivation for trying the 360PD was in gym shorts, and there is a substantial difference with the 638, but I can say I can tell a difference between the 360PD and 340 in regard to less bounce against the elastic. At least that is what I tell myself after spending what the 360 cost

ETA: The 360 MIGHT have been loaded with the 135g Speer Short Barrel loads for this picture.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 12-17-2018 at 09:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Name:  J Weights.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  55.6 KB
    SNIP

ETA: The 360 MIGHT have been loaded with the 135g Speer Short Barrel loads for this picture.
    Even as such, your 360 weighs, with lammy grips and fully loaded, 0.1oz more than my 442 is empty. That says a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by echo5charlie View Post
    Even as such, your 360 weighs, with lammy grips and fully loaded, 0.1oz more than my 442 is empty. That says a lot.
    The cost is crazy, but I rationalized that maybe there might come a time when having a few ounce lighter gun on me might be better than having a few hundred dollars.

ETA: Not to mention, I think the little things are cool...
    Last edited by mmc45414; 12-17-2018 at 09:44 PM.

Site Supporter
    Even though I have 135 grain gold dot, I carry the 110 grain standard pressure hornady critical defense. DocGR said it was acceptable in the back-up gun ammo sticky thread, so seems like a good fit with the 340pd.

User Tag List