Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Remington 870 flex-tab conversion

Remington 870 flex-tab conversion

So, I have my new shotgun, and if I have interpreted the serial number correctly, it's made in -78. At any rate, it does not have the flex-tab parts on it.

What I've quickly read from on-line and the Kuhnhausen manual, the flex-tab manual was developed to address a jamming issue that surfaced in older, worn guns used by inexperienced shooters. I guess I am not in the position to accurately judge my own shooting skill, however my gun appears to be basically brand spanking new. (The previous owner was a gun collector.)

My question is, how important is it in actual practice to have the flex-tab modification made to this gun, in order to ensure reliability? (I am guessing there is no way to buy the parts, so I'd have to have a gun smith modify the existing parts. Considering the skill level of some of the local "gun smiths", this makes me uneasy at the thought...)

If you let a shell get caught between the bolt and lifter, you can tie up the gun pretty solid. Mortar strike the butt on the ground sometimes clears it, or a key or knife blade to stuff the shell back into the mag tube, but other times it’s disassembly and bad language that is required. If you load and cycle perfectly always, you don’t need it.

The parts are available, Brownells (out of stock) and AIP Tactical have them. Installation is pretty straight forward.

I have a beautiful early 80s Wingmaster that I want to cut to 18” for a retro tactical project. It needs the flex tab parts as well, but I haven’t gotten around to it. I’ll miss the chromed bolt if I do the conversion as the flex tab bolts are black parkerized.

If you are going to use it is a defensive role I’d say the conversion is cheap insurance. For a range gun, maybe you don’t need to bother.

The flexitab conversion was not designed to solve a reliability issue; it was designed to allow easier clearing of a short-stroke action cycle causing a jam or if a shell latch released a shell at the wrong time (worn shell latch). If the gun is being used for sport, I would not consider the conversion. If the gun is going to be used for defensive purposes, it needs the conversion. Otherwise you may need to disassemble the gun to clear the jam.

Based on the fact that you are not in the USA, I would not even try to get the parts or do the conversion existing parts locally. The conversion involves three different components: the shell carrier, the bolt carrier, and the bolt. The "U" in the shell carrier is the easy modification; trimming the bolt carrier is not too bad. Modifying the bolt is a PITA.

In the USA, the most inexpensive way to do the conversion is to buy another 870 with the flexitab parts and swap the appropriate parts. The kit itself is $120 in the USA, and one can sell the second shotgun at a lesser loss than $120.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    The flexitab conversion was not designed to solve a reliability issue; it was designed to allow easier clearing of a short-stroke action cycle causing a jam or if a shell latch released a shell at the wrong time (worn shell latch). If the gun is being used for sport, I would not consider the conversion. If the gun is going to be used for defensive purposes, it needs the conversion. Otherwise you may need to disassemble the gun to clear the jam.

Based on the fact that you are not in the USA, I would not even try to get the parts or do the conversion existing parts locally. The conversion involves three different components: the shell carrier, the bolt carrier, and the bolt. The "U" in the shell carrier is the easy modification; trimming the bolt carrier is not too bad. Modifying the bolt is a PITA.

In the USA, the most inexpensive way to do the conversion is to buy another 870 with the flexitab parts and swap the appropriate parts. The kit itself is $120 in the USA, and one can sell the second shotgun at a lesser loss than $120.
    farscott,

I know this is an older post, but great info, as usual. I've found many good tips from your comments over the years.

Best,

R.

Site Supporter
    Anyone have a current source for flex tab conversion parts for the 870 ?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I'm not sure that the new Remington is even selling them separately at present. You might check with Vang and see if they know of any.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    The conversion involves three different components: the shell carrier, the bolt carrier, and the bolt. The "U" in the shell carrier is the easy modification; trimming the bolt carrier is not too bad. Modifying the bolt is a PITA.
    If a person has access to decent machine tools and knows what they are about, it isn't too difficult to do if they have a set of the flextab parts to use as a guide.

A tool and die guy I know did the job on his own older Wingmaster and he told me that if enough people wanted it done, he could probably modify the parts in batches now and then and keep the cost down below the (then) kit price, but he would not take on doing them one at a time for anyone but family. I have since wondered if someone like Vang or Wilson Combat would eventually decide to make up jigs/fixtures to offer the service.

Guess not.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    If I understand the conversion parts correctly, it is the carrier, slide plate, and bolt that are changed over. I would just hit the internet for used parts and you can probably find something. I know complete trigger plate assemblies and bolt assemblies can be bought off of ebay for about $80 each. That would be $160 for the parts you need, plus some extras. Just make sure they are actually flex tab parts and not really old parts.

Bolt assembly - https://www.ebay.com/itm/36411309098...cAAOSwNUtjxWnE

TPA - https://www.ebay.com/itm/26608779774...AAAOSw7wdjxWp7

Both from the same seller. If I ID'd the parts correctly, they should be right for the flex tab.
    Last edited by 167; 01-24-2023 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 167 View Post
    If I understand the conversion parts correctly, it is the carrier, slide plate, and bolt that are changed over. I would just hit the internet for used parts and you can probably find something. I know complete trigger plate assemblies and bolt assemblies can be bought off of ebay for about $80 each. That would be $160 for the parts you need, plus some extras. Just make sure they are actually flex tab parts and not really old parts.

Bolt assembly - https://www.ebay.com/itm/36411309098...cAAOSwNUtjxWnE

TPA - https://www.ebay.com/itm/26608779774...AAAOSw7wdjxWp7

Both from the same seller. If I ID'd the parts correctly, they should be right for the flex tab.
    It also requires different action bars.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    It also requires different action bars.
    Do you know what differentiates the two styles of action bars? Would this be an appropriate solution?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26608619192...kAAOSwXUJjxAeY

User Tag List