Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Remington 870 flex-tab conversion

Site Supporter
    No action bars or shell lifter but AIP has the bolt and plate in stock.
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by 167 View Post
    Do you know what differentiates the two styles of action bars? Would this be an appropriate solution?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26608619192...kAAOSwXUJjxAeY
    The left bar on the more recent forend tube assembly will have a short raised "nub" near the rear. The fly in the ointment of the "official" Flextab conversion kit is that you get all three parts that are deemed essential, but not the fourth part, which people disagree on. The conversion kit of carrier, slide plate and bolt SHOULD work on an older forend tube assembly, but will be a bit loose. That additional nub on the left bar of the more modern forend tube assembly is designed to keep the slide plate in better alignment. The pics of the one in the link show a "Flextab-approved" example.

I wouldn't worry much about reusing an old forend tube assembly on a waterfowl perforator in decent shape, but I would worry about one on a social management tool.

Because the forend tube assemblies were until recently easily had by anyone who could manage a Brownell's order, there wasn't much fuss in getting one. Things have probably changed, and not for the better.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

At the dismal rate that Remington has been spooling up production of its firearms line, it may be years before we see parts and accessories come down the pike.

If I had an 870 that needed real attention (and assuming its still available) I'd take advantage of Wilson Combat's "Remington Steal" package which is still listed at $230.

The work entails;

Replace all worn and/or damaged parts including the buttstock and fore-end, convert your chamber to 3”, convert to flexi-tab anti-jam system, install a new magazine spring and follower, replace safety with a jumbo head, replace trigger assembly with a professionally re-manufactured trigger unit, and parkerize your complete shotgun.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

To add to Post 13 and reference for me and anybody else who may be interested, here's Wilson Combat's weblink:
    https://www.wilsoncombat.com/shotgun...remingtonsteal

I have limited first-hand knowledge of Wilson's "Remington Steal" 870 package, but it would save a lot of time and dicking around for the person who just wants to turn an old, pot hunting 870 into a reliable HD/SD gun.
    gn

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    I have limited first-hand knowledge of Wilson's "Remington Steal" 870 package, but it would save a lot of time and dicking around for the person who just wants to turn an old, pot hunting 870 into a reliable HD/SD gun.
    If one does not have the parts or a spare gun, the "Remington Steal" is not too bad at $300 or so with shipping. The latest spin is having to ship via an FFL. Wilson solves that by issuing an RMA so the shipper is an FFL.

Site Supporter
    I have located a source for the parts for whomever needs them. Shoot me a PM for contact info.
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

Any issues with the the plastic express trigger group? Ordered the parts off eBay and they just came in. Pretty sure they’re just takeoffs from an express gun. I’ve read the polymer piece is preferred compared to the metal trigger guard, for durability reasons, but Only real difference should be the tool steel extractor and the extra power hammer/trigger spring correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

Quote Originally Posted by richiecotite View Post
    Any issues with the the plastic express trigger group? Ordered the parts off eBay and they just came in. Pretty sure they’re just takeoffs from an express gun. I’ve read the polymer piece is preferred compared to the metal trigger guard, for durability reasons, but Only real difference should be the tool steel extractor and the extra power hammer/trigger spring correct?

The trigger housings are a draw, IMHO; I wouldn't spend any money to replace one that was still serviceable regardless whether it was injection-molded polymer or die-cast metal. I believe the carrier dog follower spring and the sear spring are the only two parts on the trigger assembly that would need to be replaced to make it "Police-grade," but I am relying on memory here.
    gn

Quote Originally Posted by richiecotite View Post

Ya'know, I am an 870 snob. Express Mags be damned! Wingmaster is life. That said of all the 870s that I have either owned, shot, or worked on, I have never seen a fouled up trigger guard; metal or plastic.

User Tag List