Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: 2020 Jeep Gladiator

Looks like the perfect company car for Baxter, now that he is the head dude at Pistol-Forum.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I don't get Jeeps. Everyone and their mom drives Wranglers here in CO and frankly they are terrible vehicles for anything except driving offroad (which they are great at). Not a problem, except that most of them never see anything more challenging than a fire road...
    1) Recently responded to a crash. Young gal driving a pretty new 4-door /Wrangler driving on a US highway got hit by a VW SUV that ran the stop sign at the Interstate off-ramp. Guess which one fared better? The Jeep had some plastic twisted on the front bumper, and the only real issue was that a jagged piece of metal from the VW sliced the RF tire's sidewall. Gal was local and her dad showed up and put the spare on. The factory scissor jack lifted the front quickly and almost effortlessly compared to most scissor jacks I've seen or used...both the Trooper and I were impressed when we saw that. Oh, the VW left with the wrecker.

2) Another crash later that weekend on the Interstate had us shut down one lane and the one open one was crawling. I watched a few vehicles drive over the grass onto the frontage road and continue on there merry way.

I'll take safety over gas mileage any day. My wife and I have noted that no one wants to try to bully our H3 Hummer on the freeway.

I may not use it every day, but I like having certain capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    First I’m seeing this thread. Ironically, I was looking at one at the dealership last weekend. It was a white Rubicon model. I’m probably going to look at Tacomas today. I’m not even sure I’m in the market, but we recently traded in our Sunday driver from stick to automatic (wife’s fault), so I’m seeing what’s out there in sticks for my everyday vehicle.
    I'd been out of sticks since the late 80's, and I just enjoy the hell out of driving the stick-shift Hummer we got.....much more than I thought I would.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I’ve looked at these on the lot. Interesting, but there’s no way I’d spend that kind of money on one. Sticker on the cheapest one I saw was still north of $50k.
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    Looking forwards to 2040's when I may be able to afford one...

Oh, yeah. I'll be driving my 95 Sierra until the wheels fall off. By then, I hope to see some Gladiators on the used market. Whenever the Hummer finally gives up, I can see my wife gravitate to a 4-door Wrangler. They will do what we need to do, and for long road trips we will rent something anyway.
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 06-03-2019 at 12:44 PM.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I may not use it every day, but I like having certain capabilities.
    Agreed.

I am reminded of back when we moved to the countryside from the big city. During our first winter here, one day we got about 8" of snow in a single day. Now, this is the countryside, so infrastructure actually works here unlike in the big city - roads were plowed when we got home from work. However, our approximately 100 yards of driveway (all uphill) was of course not plowed, and the plows had piled a nice about a foot high berm at the start of our driveway. The roads were also plowed quite narrowly, not enough room to park unless we wanted to block the road from everyone else. So after about a 12 hour work day (including the commute to and fro), we were faced with two choices:

a) Back up until we can turn around and drive back about two miles to a bigger road where we might be able to leave our car on the shoulder of the road for a few hours. Walk home, clear the ~100 yards of roadway - using hand tools only, since that was all we had available - then walk back to get the car, and finally park in our own yard for the (rest of the) night.

b) Since we had four wheel drive, engage said four wheel drive, drive up the roadway and park normally, worry about clearing the snow whenever.

That one situation alone was worth paying for quite a few liters of gasoline.

User Tag List