Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Jeep Gladiator

2020 Jeep Gladiator

I don't really intend on buying one, relatively happy with my current vehicles, but I have run the gamut on this one. Initial gut reaction was "cool!", then "wait, what the hell?" and now after watching this video I'm somewhere in between.

I'm not getting rid of my Taco anytime soon, but I like a lot of what Jeep did with this truck. However, it lacks the necessary Bren or MAG58 for the passenger when running with roof off/windshield down.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I'm not getting rid of my Taco anytime soon, but I like a lot of what Jeep did with this truck. However, it lacks the necessary Bren or MAG58 for the passenger when running with roof off/windshield down.
    Seems like a pretty reasonable comparison; Gladiator:Taco.

My last truck was a Tacoma, and while I liked it there were definitely a lot of shortcomings for my uses (distance between wheel wells, and back seat space/legroom in particular) that led me to a fullsize pickup. My guess is that the Jeep hasn't improved either of those over the Taco.

Ironically, going off of just looks alone, the Jeep appears squattier/lower-profile than the current Tacomas, without looking doofish. Toyota seems intent on making up for small-truck self-esteem issues with the Tacoma year after year by puffing it up in weird ways, then making the basic truck (which i'm assuming they don't even offer anymore) look like some kind of apartment maintenance man's beater truck. Not sure why they can't seem to find a middle ground.

I’m interested, but unlikely to actually buy one. The price is likely to be too high, and then there’s that legendary Jeep reliability.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Seems like a pretty reasonable comparison; Gladiator:Taco.

My last truck was a Tacoma, and while I liked it there were definitely a lot of shortcomings for my uses (distance between wheel wells, and back seat space/legroom in particular) that led me to a fullsize pickup. My guess is that the Jeep hasn't improved either of those over the Taco.

Ironically, going off of just looks alone, the Jeep appears squattier/lower-profile than the current Tacomas, without looking doofish. Toyota seems intent on making up for small-truck self-esteem issues with the Tacoma year after year by puffing it up in weird ways, then making the basic truck (which i'm assuming they don't even offer anymore) look like some kind of apartment maintenance man's beater truck. Not sure why they can't seem to find a middle ground.
    All valid criticism of the Taco. The middle ground compromise seems to be what car companies are trying for. The Gladiator looks like a Series Rover that suburban moms can chauffeur kids around in and dads can haul just enough stuff in to feel manly.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I’m interested, but unlikely to actually buy one. The price is likely to be too high, and then there’s that legendary Jeep reliability.
    Pretty much exactly this.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

...And yet I compulsively read all articles about the new Ranger and the Gladiator while repeating to myself "Don't buy the first year, don't buy the first year..."
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    ...And yet I compulsively read all articles about the new Ranger and the Gladiator while repeating to myself "Don't buy the first year, don't buy the first year..."
    Pretty interested in the Ranger and the Bronco when that comes. Wranglers and the Gladiator are cool but I think if you aren't going to take the doors and roof off, you are paying a lot for a lot of compromises. It will also be another small truck that costs about the same or more than a full size and gets about the same mileage.

Looks neat but probably WAY more than I'd be comfortable spending.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
    Pretty interested in the Ranger and the Bronco when that comes. Wranglers and the Gladiator are cool but I think if you aren't going to take the doors and roof off, you are paying a lot for a lot of compromises. It will also be another small truck that costs about the same or more than a full size and gets about the same mileage.
    Don't know yet about the Gladiator, but we know the price range for the Ranger runs mid-20s to high 30s. I don't need a full size pick up truck, but a smaller one would be useful.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List