Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Jeep Gladiator

I'm still passively interested in this thing. I'm loving the specs of the back seat leg room, don't care about the shortened bed, and really only want to know if there's gong to be a compact pickup with 4' between the wheel wells finally on the market.

I'm a little concerned about whether or not it will actually turn out to be more maneuverable. The Wrangler Unlimited has a somewhat disappointing 20ft turning radius, and I'm assuming the Gladiator will be worse.

Necrothread bump!

I just saw one in the wild at a Chevy dealership in my patrol area:

Name:  IMG_1216.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  36.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1218.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  34.4 KB

I like what I see so far.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Still ugly. Would rather a Taco or a fullsize like the Tundra or F150.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I'm still passively interested in this thing. I'm loving the specs of the back seat leg room, don't care about the shortened bed, and really only want to know if there's gong to be a compact pickup with 4' between the wheel wells finally on the market.

I'm a little concerned about whether or not it will actually turn out to be more maneuverable. The Wrangler Unlimited has a somewhat disappointing 20ft turning radius, and I'm assuming the Gladiator will be worse.
    I don't get Jeeps. Everyone and their mom drives Wranglers here in CO and frankly they are terrible vehicles for anything except driving offroad (which they are great at). Not a problem, except that most of them never see anything more challenging than a fire road...
    Last edited by Nephrology; 06-01-2019 at 12:09 AM.

First I’m seeing this thread. Ironically, I was looking at one at the dealership last weekend. It was a white Rubicon model. I’m probably going to look at Tacomas today. I’m not even sure I’m in the market, but we recently traded in our Sunday driver from stick to automatic (wife’s fault), so I’m seeing what’s out there in sticks for my everyday vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    First I’m seeing this thread. Ironically, I was looking at one at the dealership last weekend. It was a white Rubicon model. I’m probably going to look at Tacomas today. I’m not even sure I’m in the market, but we recently traded in our Sunday driver from stick to automatic (wife’s fault), so I’m seeing what’s out there in sticks for my everyday vehicle.
    Good luck finding a Taco with a stick.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I’ve looked at these on the lot. Interesting, but there’s no way I’d spend that kind of money on one. Sticker on the cheapest one I saw was still north of $50k.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I’ve looked at these on the lot. Interesting, but there’s no way I’d spend that kind of money on one. Sticker on the cheapest one I saw was still north of $50k.
    For a midsize?? Jesus I though tacomas were overpriced...

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Kids are all gone now, so my crew cab Tundra gets bigger and bigger each time I drive it. The dog seems to be the only one voicing a vote to keep it. I’m still lusting after a Hilux (with a snorkel...well...because snorkel). If they ever show up at a price that gives me a fighting chance in divorce court, I’m running to the dealer with a duffel bag of cash.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Seems like a pretty reasonable comparison; Gladiator:Taco.

My last truck was a Tacoma, and while I liked it there were definitely a lot of shortcomings for my uses (distance between wheel wells, and back seat space/legroom in particular) that led me to a fullsize pickup. My guess is that the Jeep hasn't improved either of those over the Taco.

Ironically, going off of just looks alone, the Jeep appears squattier/lower-profile than the current Tacomas, without looking doofish. Toyota seems intent on making up for small-truck self-esteem issues with the Tacoma year after year by puffing it up in weird ways, then making the basic truck (which i'm assuming they don't even offer anymore) look like some kind of apartment maintenance man's beater truck. Not sure why they can't seem to find a middle ground.
    I had a bunch of Tacomas and a few before they were even called Tacomas (HiLux, SR5). I've had a full size pickup now for 12 years. Gets about the same mileage as my last Tacoma V6. I'm getting ready to replace my Duramax with something. That's a real Cadillac on a long haul. I'm not sure I could ever go back to a small truck like a Tacoma/Gladiator. We'll see.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Good luck finding a Taco with a stick.
    I think.....that the new 2020 Tacoma 4 cyl will be offered with a 5 speed stick.

Used to be a rag called Sport Truck. Lots of people in CA lowered those 4 cyl/5 speeds and put a bolt on Toyota turbo kit on the motor. Cheap thrills for sure..
    Last edited by Borderland; 06-01-2019 at 09:08 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List