Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Ronin Sakura blade?

ohhh. oops!

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    That’s the deposit listed in that link. It’s $180 for a crude 2.25” blade made out of 1/8” tool steel with a cord wrap handle.
    Right, those were the deposit links. But the jute wrapped knives with rough finishes are about $110, not $180. The scaled, polished, knives are $180+.

I know it seems like I'm against the Ronin Sakura by Spartan because of Tu Lam, I am not. Ring knives can be as dangerous to the stabber as the stabbee and I won't advocate something that can injure you. In terms of knife execution and design, there are lots of good knives out there, from as little as $25 to as much as several thousand. It's a sharpened hunk of steel. As long as it is sharp and doesn't break when you use it, you're doing pretty well overall. I suggested the JB Knives, because they are priced at a point lower than Spartan knives, American-made, by a couple of guys who care seriously about giving back to the broader community. I don't think you can go wrong buying a Spartan or a JB (or a Clinch Pick from China or one from Ban Tang).

At the end of the day a user needs to find a handle shape and blade shape that works best for their preferred mechanics and delivery system, ground that delivery system against resisting opponents and pressure test access and delivery against that resisting opponent, and get it done. Blade shape is tertiary, in my opinion, to handle shape and handle materials. Handle shapes need to fill the hand and prevent twisting, many knives have handles that are too narrow to effectively do this. Handle materials need to be sticky enough to stay in the hand during stabbing, but loose enough to allow you to let go of the knife should you need to.

In my experience, designs that are focused on positional changes of blade in hand usually compromise grip by narrowing it or relying on retention methods (i.e., rings). In my (admittedly limited) applicational experience with a knife, you're far more likely to hand switch, than to switch grips, when entangled. A knife that denies me hand switching in favor of position switching would be far less practical. In reviewing various real life stabbings and knife fights and training videos, my anecdotal observations support that whatever position the hand gets the knife out in, is the position that hand will use until the knife is dropped or switched between hands. In other words, you're going to do your stabbing with the grip you have setup for access. Eventually if someone has a 2-hands-on-1 on your knife hand and doesn't position themselves well, you'll see a hand switch and the knife will go back to stabbing. Rings facilitate retention and position switching and that's not what I want in a knife add in the potential for injury to the user and it's a bad idea all the way around.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Right, those were the deposit links. But the jute wrapped knives with rough finishes are about $110, not $180. The scaled, polished, knives are $180+.
    Thanks for the correction.

In my experience,...
    I was with you until you started talking about your experience.

I was with you until you started talking about your experience.
    Look, I've tried really hard to not call you out, because I'm not sure what your problem is. But I find your posts to lack substance or helpfulness, but never lacking in an acerbic or underhanded statement and thus far I've been left to conclude the "D" in BigD stands for "Dickhead".

So help us understand your experience and perspective to let us know where you are coming from and why I should care about what you post in this or any other thread? I spent a while reviewing your posts last night and I was unable to find a place where you tell us your experience or various training/qualifications/background/experiences/etc to put into perspective what you post.

If you don't wish to share your backgrounds, qualifications, or reasons for your criticisms that's fine; I'm happy to put you onto my ignore list.

-Rob

I'm happy to put you onto my ignore list.

-Rob
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....rob#post761212

Now I remember replying to you previously.

You are going to want to put me on your ignore list.
    Last edited by BigD; 12-26-2018 at 05:04 PM.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....rob#post761212

Now I remember replying to you previously.

You are going to want to put me on your ignore list.
    Got ya, D stands for Dickhead.

Adios.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    You, might also want to avoid intentionally being a person that needs to tell people to put you on ignore. Ot not, I'm not the boss of you and I'm sure you've got good reasons to conduct yourself however you chose. We've all got to decide what's best for ourselves and then make choices that align with our goals. Or not.
    This know-it-all blowhard calls me a dickhead after I wryly point out he has no experience? I won’t lose any sleep over being on his ignore list.
    Last edited by BigD; 12-26-2018 at 07:05 PM.

BigD,

It might be helpful if you were to post your own experience on such matters. Would you care to, please?
    Jules
    Runcible Works

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by runcible View Post
    BigD,

It might be helpful if you were to post your own experience on such matters. Would you care to, please?
    Yes please! I second this request.

I’m *always* going to someone’s profile whenever they make any sort of interesting comment; to understand the context they are bringing, and many times to figure out where in the country/world they are located.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    I caved. Got a couple on the way.
    Got mine today. Very nice! Heavier than I expected.

User Tag List