Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Ronin Sakura blade?

Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post
    I currently carry horizontal on belt. It's fine but would consider IWB (appendix weak side) or pocket w / lanyard. I don't get on with the pocket shield, haven't used mine in months.

The CP is obviously a serious option but aesthetics (I know) keep me from the China Pick options, and the BT DE versions (my preference) are just super pricy. I do like your NOK trainer recommendation though, and the SE CP option presented above might be the way to go.

I still think that right at $200, the Spartan SOCP w / trainer option looks promising. Maybe picking up the NOK CP and Spartan trainer and playing around with them in a competitive training environment is the way to go.
    Look at the options JB Knife & Tool have - https://www.jbknifeandtool.com/colle...tomized-knives - A DE Ditchpik, Mini-Pik, or Hybrid might be right up your alley. The Sakit is very Clinchpick-like and has the blessing of Craig in its design (i.e., not a "rip-off").

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    No. I wouldn't spend my money on what he is teaching, because it's very clearly not applicable to my circumstances. Or any circumstances really, unless you believe an opponent will be static and you can slash and wave your knife around in a circle.

This:
    Holy shit.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    ...when I get even a whiff of "ancestor veneration" taking precedence over stinky fist helmets, and debriefs coming back from today’s urban conflict environments, I’m gonna start checking out. I mean, I’ll do it politely because I’m a super low key guy, but unless we’re discussing Hans Tallhoffer and the 15th-c longsword, the jejune ScarJo sexual fantasies that I keep on file for DMV or doctor office waiting rooms is going to bubble to the surface while the thigh holster crowd talks about how cool the old light bulb was. JMO, IANASME, etc.
    I like the Talhoffer reference. We had a HEMA guest instructor at a Judo dojo my BIL goes to. I think he was showing Fiore stuff. It was remarkably similar to the Judo stuff. We didnt even touch weapons for the first hour, just clinch, trips, and throws.
    Last edited by UniSol; 12-19-2018 at 08:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Those with an Obake, how are you carrying it?
    I carry mine on a dog tag type chain as a neck knife back up to a spyderco reverse on my weak side.

Quote Originally Posted by UniSol View Post
    I like the Talhoffer reference. We had a HEMA guest instructor at a Judo dojo my BIL goes to. I think he was showing Fiore stuff. It was remarkably similar to the Judo stuff. We didnt even touch weapons for the first hour, just clinch, trips, and throws.
    Fiore Dei Liberi should be more recognized in the West than Musashi.

Wow, those JB prices are pretty good!

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    Yes those look like pretty cool options for sure. Are they PF-members? Just wondering…
    Last edited by jc000; 12-21-2018 at 10:58 AM.

No idea, wouldn't be surprised tho!

Tho, I think you should get the blade you want. Who cares if the the guy on the video is a mix of Segal and Van Damme in Cyborg, it's fun to get the toy you want and you will appreciate it more and prob carry it more. Lets face it, 95% of us won't use our shit anyway.
    Last edited by Isaac; 12-21-2018 at 07:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post
    Yes those look like pretty cool options for sure. Are they PF-members? Just wondering…
    I don’t believe so. But they are nice guys to deal with and have a good rep with FB/Instagram/USN/Bladeforums groups. I know they recently setup a new shop in San Antonio with some other bladesmiths (South Texas Association of Bladesmiths, yea, S.T.A.B) with two Forged in Fire champ bladesmiths sharing space with them. They are doing grind and forge-ins and classes. In other words, they take knives seriously and seem to care about giving back to the broader knife community. All great reasons to support them.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    That’s the deposit listed in that link. It’s $180 for a crude 2.25” blade made out of 1/8” tool steel with a cord wrap handle.

User Tag List