Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ronin Sakura blade?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick62 View Post
    Regarding the price aspect: a BT SE CP and nok trainer combo is priced $25 above the Ronin package.
    I’m sure the ronin blade is well made, but ring blades are a big no, for me anyway. I’m no professional knife fighter, but any opportunity to avoid a degloving injury...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Someone correct me if I"m wrong. I don't think the concern is degloving so much as it is having your pinky or ring finger fractured. The trade-off is the knife is less likely to be dropped or taken away from you.

(And in some cases, like the SOPC, the ring is an aid in drawing the knife which is - as I understand it - designed to be worn on a plate carrier and could be more easily grabbed by your foe if it wasn't sheathed so deeply. This doesn't apply to the Ronin knife.)

Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post
    That's great – thanks for sending. I was looking at the BT site with the OOS titanium option.
    De nada. I've been trying to resist hitting the button on one with mental arguments such as: "a China pick will stab somebody up just as well" or "more than three hundos oxidizing in an evidence bin." I'm losing the battle...
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    Someone correct me if I"m wrong. I don't think the concern is degloving so much as it is having your pinky or ring finger fractured. The trade-off is the knife is less likely to be dropped or taken away from you.

(And in some cases, like the SOPC, the ring is an aid in drawing the knife which is - as I understand it - designed to be worn on a plate carrier and could be more easily grabbed by your foe if it wasn't sheathed so deeply. This doesn't apply to the Ronin knife.)
    I've played with a SOCP (including with a pistol) and like that as an option, though not enough experience to say definitively. Price is right on that with the trainer, though – even the Spartan version isn't too bad.

Degloving is a huge concern, along with a finger fracture. Anytime you have something enclosing a finger, that handle can easily catch and drag.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

So, you have trained with him?
    No. I wouldn't spend my money on what he is teaching, because it's very clearly not applicable to my circumstances. Or any circumstances really, unless you believe an opponent will be static and you can slash and wave your knife around in a circle.

This:

Versus This:

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    Degloving is a huge concern, along with a finger fracture. Anytime you have something enclosing a finger, that handle can easily catch and drag.
    Not that Cecil’s word don’t carry the necessary weight with my $.02, but this mirrors my thoughts and concerns.
    Also, circling back to the comment about the ring being an aid in weapons retention; I feel like the increased risk of suffering a hand injury caused by the ring actually makes it a bit of a detriment in retention. Broken fingers without skin/tissue on them don’t hold onto things very effectively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree that dropping a knife is kind of a concern, but it is what it is. You'd rather drop the knife than suffer a catastrophic injury to one of your hands that is otherwise avoidable. Having a knife taken away from you is not really a concern. You're holding the part that isn't sharp when you're holding a knife, not much for someone to get leverage on it snatch it from you.

I prefer fixed blade knives with fairly chunky handles to fill the hand over thinner blades that use a ring to retain. Thinner knives tend to twist in the hand and increasing the chance of losing the knife also a thinner knife that twists more with a ring? That's an ideal combination for getting the ring digging into the finger and causing that degloving.

Two notes:

1) Check your local jurisdictions about double edged knives. In some (most?) places, a sharpened swedge is a double edged knife and is illegal. This could make the Ronin Sakura a non-starter for a lot of folks.

2) The ring has a ton of utility for a utility knife. Dangling from a finger while you do other things with your hands. But for a defensive blade, I think it's too much of a liability.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    No. I wouldn't spend my money on what he is teaching, because it's very clearly not applicable to my circumstances. Or any circumstances really, unless you believe an opponent will be static and you can slash and wave your knife around in a circle.

This:

Versus This:

Holy moley. That knife deployment and thrust at :45. If that is typical........
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I made it as far as "why do you think the ‘way’ of blade training is dying out?" (Are you kidding me?) And the response begining of “in tne old warrior days..." before my own personal BS meter needle hit the stop peg on the right.

I mean, we’re all members of this forum, and it’s no secret that a bunch of us are Shivworks alumni—to say nothing of the instructor who’s already chimed in, so yeah, koolaid and all that.

But what I don’t go around here saying is that I have a dan ranking in a TMA, and had my own dojo when I was younger; plus, I’ve taken a number of weekenders with some very well-known FMA guys. We need to stand on the shoulders of the people and traditions that preceeded us, and for sure "the further back you look, the further forward you can see."

But when I get even a whiff of "ancestor veneration" taking precedence over stinky fist helmets, and debriefs coming back from today’s urban conflict environments, I’m gonna start checking out. I mean, I’ll do it politely because I’m a super low key guy, but unless we’re discussing Hans Tallhoffer and the 15th-c longsword, the jejune ScarJo sexual fantasies that I keep on file for DMV or doctor office waiting rooms is going to bubble to the surface while the thigh holster crowd talks about how cool the old light bulb was. JMO, IANASME, etc.
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 12-17-2018 at 03:39 PM.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter

CRTK Obake

Knife Center has them on sale now.

CRTK Obake

(Edit: Multiple versions available at that price, that's just the 1st one that came up)

I have a CP, I don't NEED any more fixed blade EDCs. But it's so shiny!
    Last edited by TQP; 12-17-2018 at 05:54 PM.
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

User Tag List