Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ronin Sakura blade?

Ronin Sakura blade?

Does anyone have any experience with this knife? I'm semi looking for a dedicated defensive blade, and came across this design. The price with sheath and trainer isn't as hateful as some of the options out there and its made by Spartan Blades who I'm a fan of. Anyone on here own one of these?

Ronin Sakura Blade

I believe that the general P-F consensus is that ringed designs are not the most optimal for defensive use due to increased risk of injury for the user. Thst’s certainly my own take, but I’m no SME.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I'm no SME either, far from it, and it looks like a nice knife (and I am a fan of Spartan Blades too) but, personally, I wouldn't go with this one. It has no scales or wrap or anything that enables your hand to hold your grip tightly except your hand strength and putting your little finger (or index when in reverse grip) in the ring. "Degloving", i.e. getting the skin of the finger in the ring ripped off by your opponent, when in a struggle for the knife has been known to happen, so if you use a ring knife you're better off keeping your finger outside. That brings us back to o using only your grip strength to hold the knife (a stab with a slick handle and your hand may ride up the knife onto the blade).

For the price you seem willing to pay, I would go straight to look at Joe Watson's or Ban Tang's offerings; links are available in the few threads that mention them in this section of PF.

I would also recommend you take a look at CRKT's Obake (and Obake Skoshi if small size matters) by Lucas Burnley: https://www.crkt.com/shop/everyday-c...ves/obake.html . It's very inexpensive (you can find sometimes an even better price on Amazon), and it's very well made and comes with a good sheath system. Don't let the absence of guard deter you; I've stabbed mine hard upward into a wood table and the wrap really keeps your hand in place. It will work easily with forward and reverse grips, edge in or edge out. Moreover, it is a very capable utility knife, something that matters a lot to me, while keeping excellent defensive capabilities. Finally, this knife will give you a good starting point to figure out (inexpensively) what will or won't work out for you.

Of course, this all is just my point of view and worth exactly what you paid for it :-)
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

I'll just shoot the straight shit - What Tu Lam knows about knives and practical knife combat could fit into a thimble with room left over. I respect the man's service but fifteen minutes of watching him talk about knives and training techniques tells me that everything he knows about blade application is theoretical not based on practice and application. He has been busily turning his service record into a lucrative training business for wannabe Green Berets and that's all well and good, but what he teaches has exceptionally limited application and minimal reality based aspects to it.

In other words, I'd take a hard pass and focus on blades that have been designed by folks who have a bit more practical application in their approaches. The Clinch Pick is the gold standard for a reason. A China Pick and Trainer can be had for $175. The Ronin designed by Janich and made by Spyderco is a quality design. The Spyderco Street Beat designed by Perrin is a fairly good design (though the choil is a little too big and far forward, in my opinion). The Gryphon Knives M10 made in Seki and designed by Terzuola is an excellent design.

I'm 100% against ring knives, when the knives are meant for stabbing. The only ring knives I'm okay with are more "slashers", that would be the Hide-Away Knives and the Perrin/Emerson La Griffe. Short blades that will be used primarily in a raking motion.

PS: For training knives, nothing better than a NOK - https://noktrainingknives.webs.com/apps/webstore/ - Use a rubber band (I use an elastic hair tie) to hold your NOK where your CP sits on your belt and go to town.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 12-16-2018 at 06:29 PM.

I was hoping to get some feedback on people who had some more exposure to this actual blade, though everyone's comments are appreciated.

Without commenting on Tu Lam's qualifications as a knife instructor, I can say that he is not a factor in my interest in this knife. What does appeal to me is the size, blade type, price (for the package), and that it's made by Spartan. While I'm not 100% sold on a ring design (and definitely not used in the fashion that I've seen this knife whipped around) I have had some limited exposure to them and know some people with very real practical knife experience who are advocates for a ring on a knife. I haven't ruled it out for my needs.

That being said, again I do appreciate everyone's thoughts. If the Ban Tan CP were a little less expensive / more available I'm sure that would be a top option.

I can't carry a fixed blade in Michigan, but when I lived in FL I carried a CP.

If you want a BT CP just for the double edge, i'd recommend a regular CP and this:

https://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-WS...rk+sharp&psc=1

Regarding the price aspect: a BT SE CP and nok trainer combo is priced $25 above the Ronin package.
    I’m sure the ronin blade is well made, but ring blades are a big no, for me anyway. I’m no professional knife fighter, but any opportunity to avoid a degloving injury...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post
    If the Ban Tan CP were a little less expensive / more available I'm sure that would be a top option.
    In stock. $340 vs. $335 for the Ronin. What am I missing?

https://www.illumn.com/ban-tang-kniv...10-handle.html
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    In stock. $340 vs. $335 for the Ronin. What am I missing?

https://www.illumn.com/ban-tang-kniv...10-handle.html
    That's great – thanks for sending. I was looking at the BT site with the OOS titanium option.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I'll just shoot the straight shit - What Tu Lam knows about knives and practical knife combat could fit into a thimble with room left over. I respect the man's service but fifteen minutes of watching him talk about knives and training techniques tells me that everything he knows about blade application is theoretical not based on practice and application. He has been busily turning his service record into a lucrative training business for wannabe Green Berets and that's all well and good, but what he teaches has exceptionally limited application and minimal reality based aspects to it.
    So, you have trained with him?

User Tag List