Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: bomb threat on a bus

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    Yes I bet: I just called the Dallas police dept and they said they average 70 cops per station and there are 7 stations =490 cops in the Dallas area.
    Farmers branch has 6 cops a shift and they could not say as for the other sub citys

so now we can say that the outlying areas of Dallas has let’s say 12 average (most are less) which is on the high side for the 9 sub cities =108 cops

so now add 15 for DPS (high too) gives us a grand total of 1103 cops for over 5 million people that is an average of 1 cop per 4500 people

hows that for "hyperbole"... I did say "here in d/fw area there is 600 cops on duty at any given time for 5 million people" not the total number of cops. I am doubling the number of cops for a combo of dallas and ftw together even though ftw is smaller with less cops

edit: I under estimated the number of people in the dfw area:
    The 2010 official U.S. Census real counts has the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex at 6,371,773 so the # ratio is higher
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallas–...orth_metroplex
    Unless you called 911 or another emergency line, you could not have gotten that information 'just now'. The admin offices are only open from 0800-1700 CST. Your post is time stamped 1749 CST.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Banned
    actually I called the N Dallas station and the farmers branch police station and I told them the situation and they told me what I needed. Those are the numbers that I got and some are inflated to give the benefit of the doubt to the other poster. The city of Dallas has some 3300 officers on the pay roll but only 490 on duty as far as on patrol

All number are correct to the best of my knowledge dallas adm 214-671-4381 feel free to check

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    actually I called the N Dallas station and the farmers branch police station and I told them the situation and they told me what I needed. Those are the numbers that I got and some are inflated to give the benefit of the doubt to the other poster. The city of Dallas has some 3300 officers on the pay roll but only 490 on duty as far as on patrol
    Farmers Branch PD is a separate entity from DPD entirely. I just got off the phone with them, and they had no idea how many officers DPD has on duty right now. Please provide me the number you used to get the information on DPD patrol numbers. PM is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru
    All number are correct to the best of my knowledge dallas adm 214-671-4381 feel free to check
    This is a wireless phone number, that rang about 12 times, then went to a phone company message "this wireless caller is unavailable." That is not the DPD admin number.
    Last edited by JDM; 03-08-2012 at 09:34 PM.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post

This is a wireless phone number, that rang about 12 times, then went to a phone company message "this wireless caller is unavailable." That is not the DPD admin number.
    Called the same number, got an automated respones "this is a non-working number" with some other jibberish I could not understand sounded like numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I hate to say it, but this thread would probably be best served by getting back to the original topic of "sticking guns in the face" of bomb wielding terrorists.
    I agree - I'm pretty sure that if you started a thread that said "Do you think there are enough police officers to protect you all the time?" the answer would be a resounding NO. I don't know what it has to do with a discussion of how to handle a difficult problem, which is what I though we were discussing.

I'm still waiting for someone to explain how clearing kydex and shoving a pistol in the face of someone who is either mentally unstable and making unsubstantiated threats and/or is suicidal and looking to take people with him is going to solve the problem.

Somehow, a question of "how do you solve the problem" is being wrapped up into some ideal of self-relieance -- no one here is arguing that you don't need to protect yourself and take care of yourself. But, different problems require different solutions. A mugger in an alley is a compleatly different problem than a bomber on a bus.

I though the point of this type of thread was to discuss different options in order to gain a better understanding of potential tactics based on the experience and throught process of a wide range of people with different levels of experience.

Where's that "Discussion Chart" when I need it...

Quote Originally Posted by JeffJ View Post
    Where's that "Discussion Chart" when I need it...
    I love that chart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    I'm comfortable sitting on the couch in my boxers fiddling with my balls, but I don't fight like that.

Banned
    well I have been one these boards for a while and that has got to be the first time I seen a chart like that. it was not me that got off topic but had to defend what I posted.

you are on a bus and there is no outs, I man jumps up and yells I have a bomb. some of you are correct why is he anouncing it, what are his intentions?

I say shoot him and others say no because you don't know if\what about the bomb. my thinking is seperate me from the bus/bomb as fas as I can. the quick mind says if he anounced it then the bomb might be trigger detonated and he seeks something. so why not take him out fast and get off the bus?

why stick a gun in his face? the same reasoning a cop would do it; to control the situation; and then see the reaction. at that time he will make a play and show some form of intention or stand there and say he has no bomb. either way something has to be done

The fact that you are legally licensed to carry a weapon doesn't automatically make you a Tier 1 operator. Descretion is the better part of valor...always.

Banned
    The fact that you are legally licensed to carry a weapon doesn't automatically make you a Tier 1 operator. Descretion is the better part of valor...always.
    my 2A and the laws in my state give me the right to defend myself weither its at tier1 or teir 20 anytime I am in fear for my life!!!

I was reading I have found out that grayhound has a no gun in baggage or body policy and does a search in some terminals if not all of them so most likley a gun is not in the plans.

so now we are back to do you get involved and try to stop the bomber. some say leave it up to the law and I say the law is miles away and I am not. we learned for 9-11 that sitting back and waiting can be a death sentance anyway. too many times we have been told to be a rabbit (this is what rabbits do; sit and wait for danger to pass in hopes they are not caught) and people are not wanting to be victims because someone says we have to. here are two cases that could have turned out different if the rabbits listened to the man.

shoe bomber:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_shoe_bomb_plot

underwear bomber:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umar_Farouk_Abdulmutallab

Being aware of and assesing a complex situation before making rash action is not doing nothing.

Attempting to understand what will happen after you pull the trigger is not doing nothing.

I think this situation has a lot more gray area than - threat, boom - but maybe it doesn't

User Tag List