Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Daniel Defense getting into the bolt gun game

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    I realize I am reviving an older thread, but do you have any updated thoughts on the Delta 5?
    I'm looking at one pretty hard right now.
    Not a thing. I’ve been so busy getting ready for my cross country relocation that I haven’t even gotten the scope mounted up.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I'm looking at one pretty hard right now.
    Why? There are so many better options, especially if you buy a barreled action and a compatible chassis.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Why? There are so many better options, especially if you buy a barreled action and a compatible chassis.
    At the price point I can buy one at, I think its coming with the best set of features. And I really like the quick change, back of the pick up barrel swap. I'm hearing most folks are wringing .5 MOA out of them, so there's that also.

I have a 6.5 PRC that will reach out there, but it is set up mostly as a fairly lightweight hunter. It sure seems to me I can shoot .308 a heck of a lot cheaper. On that point, it seems that with the intro of these new chambering's, it has really dropped the price on the "legacy" caliber's.

I really don't want to do a build, I would rather just buy a complete rifle and only have to deal with one manufacture.
    And from all Iv'e heard, DD is a customer service oriented company.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

I hear you about wanting to avoid a build from a gunsmith. I’m really not into that either. However, I’d stick with either a stock rifle from a major manufacturer, or a small company with a proven track record in bolt guns. DD doesn’t have that yet.

Also, switch barrel systems don’t have the best reputation, and can add a layer of proprietary parts issues. And, who actually uses that anyway?

Have a look at the Seekins Bravo. I like the specs better than the DD.
    https://www.seekinsprecision.com/pro...vak-bravo.html
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

At the price point I can buy one at, I think its coming with the best set of features. And I really like the quick change, back of the pick up barrel swap. I'm hearing most folks are wringing .5 MOA out of them, so there's that also.

I have a 6.5 PRC that will reach out there, but it is set up mostly as a fairly lightweight hunter. It sure seems to me I can shoot .308 a heck of a lot cheaper. On that point, it seems that with the intro of these new chambering's, it has really dropped the price on the "legacy" caliber's.

I really don't want to do a build, I would rather just buy a complete rifle and only have to deal with one manufacture.
    And from all Iv'e heard, DD is a customer service oriented company.
    Doing a build these days doesn't entail a lot. Buy a Defiance action of your choice, a prefit barrel with a nut, and a chassis. A couple of tools (if you need them) and a set of go/no go gauges. The rest is stuff that you either already have or need to buy anyway (scope, rings, bipod, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Also, switch barrel systems don’t have the best reputation, and can add a layer of proprietary parts issues. And, who actually uses that anyway?
    Threaded, pre fit barrels (either shouldered or nut-headspaced) are widely accepted now in precision rifle circles. There is virtually no downside to them. There's no layer of proprietary parts issues. Tenon theads are easily machinable in any spec you need by barrel makers or competent gunsmiths, which means you can use almost any nut you want to.

The ability to quickly change calibers or replace a worn barrel without weeks/months of gunsmith lead time is invaluable to many.

With a rifle based on a Defiance action (to name but one) you can find custom and off the shelf shoulderless barrels from just about anyone. With Daniel Defense, right now you're stuck with their barrels and there's no guarantee that the aftermarket will serve it. THAT is a proprietary parts issue.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 02-02-2020 at 01:28 PM.

Threaded, pre fit barrels (either shouldered or nut-headspaced) are widely accepted now in precision rifle circles. There is virtually no downside to them. There's no layer of proprietary parts issues. Tenon theads are easily machinable in any spec you need by barrel makers or competent gunsmiths, which means you can use almost any nut you want to.

The ability to quickly change calibers or replace a worn barrel without weeks/months of gunsmith lead time is invaluable to many.
    Agree 100%. But, I don't know anyone who changes calibers back and forth.

With a rifle based on a Defiance action (to name but one) you can find custom and off the shelf shoulderless barrels from just about anyone. With Daniel Defense, right now you're stuck with their barrels and there's no guarantee that the aftermarket will serve it. THAT is a proprietary parts issue.
    Yep. That's why I'd pass on the DD.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Wasn't there something about DD's barrel supplier's shop going up in flames in 2019?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Wasn't there something about DD's barrel supplier's shop going up in flames in 2019?
    That would be the PacNor facility, who supplied Noveske, at least back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Agree 100%. But, I don't know anyone who changes calibers back and forth.

Yep. That's why I'd pass on the DD.
    Hi, my name is Jim and I change calibers back and forth. I shoot Bighorn actions with shouldered bbls. I use a 7WSM for elk, 6 Dasher for matches or 6.5 creed if I am too lazy to reload, and 308 or 223 to practice. With the Bighorn you can swap the bolt heads and have one action for magnum, standard and 223 calibers. Prefit shouldered bbls are available online from Proof or various gunsmiths/vendors. You will need an action wrench and a bbl vise to accomplish the task. With shouldered prefits it is pretty idiot proof to swap. You don't have to use a bbl nut or headspace gauge with shouldered bbls. You just torque it on and go.

I also would not recommend the DD bolt gun at $2100. They are too new to the bolt gun game and you would be better served buying an action that already has an established market for shouldered prefits. Impact, Bighorn, and Defiance Ruckus (which is new but will have support) all have after-market support. Building bolt guns is much like putting together an AR these days. Action, trigger, prefit bbl and stock/chassis and you are good to go.

If you just want to buy a rifle and be done the GAP Production rifle in 6 Creed is a pretty good value at $2500.

Edited to add: I will also second Clusterfrack's plug for the Seekins Bravo. They are sweet rifles.

User Tag List