Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Daniel Defense getting into the bolt gun game

Quote Originally Posted by Jimichanga View Post
    Hi, my name is Jim and I change calibers back and forth. I shoot Bighorn actions with shouldered bbls. I use a 7WSM for elk, 6 Dasher for matches or 6.5 creed if I am too lazy to reload, and 308 or 223 to practice. With the Bighorn you can swap the bolt heads and have one action for magnum, standard and 223 calibers. Prefit shouldered bbls are available online from Proof or various gunsmiths/vendors. You will need an action wrench and a bbl vise to accomplish the task. With shouldered prefits it is pretty idiot proof to swap. You don't have to use a bbl nut or headspace gauge with shouldered bbls. You just torque it on and go.

I also would not recommend the DD bolt gun at $2100. They are too new to the bolt gun game and you would be better served buying an action that already has an established market for shouldered prefits. Impact, Bighorn, and Defiance Ruckus (which is new but will have support) all have after-market support. Building bolt guns is much like putting together an AR these days. Action, trigger, prefit bbl and stock/chassis and you are good to go.

If you just want to buy a rifle and be done the GAP Production rifle in 6 Creed is a pretty good value at $2500.

Edited to add: I will also second Clusterfrack's plug for the Seekins Bravo. They are sweet rifles.
    No one is paying $2100 - mine was $1550 shipped including a free promo Pelican hard case that street prices out at $200 or more.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    No one is paying $2100 - mine was $1550 shipped including a free promo Pelican hard case that street prices out at $200 or more.
    Yeah, that was part of my thinking, EuroOptic out the door is $1599.00 plus $9.00 to ship. $2100.00 would pretty much also buy the second barrel.

At 8.9# bare, figure 11-13# in shooting configuration, it isn't a " run around the next two hills and get ahead of that Muley buck rifle, but it could do double duty as a training rifle and be used in one of my stands. Plus the savings in ammo. I can buy .308 Match ammo for .90 a pop, all day long, 6.5 PRC, probably not that pricing for another couple of years, if ever.

I already have a 6.5 PRC set up as a hunter, but my thought was the DD would make a really nice trainer, cause really, once you know your dope on drop, trigger control and reading the wind is the true long range skill development, at least for me.

However, @Clusterfrack had a great point, the Seekins Havak Bravo is an apparently awesome option, I'm just not sure it I need to spend two grand on just a rifle. Clusterfrack, is that what I see you shooting in your pics?

The plus side of the Bravo would be I could go 6.5 PRC, and have ammo commonality, BUT, that would also put me in the position of having to reload. Something I am embarrassed to admit, I have absolutely 0 experience with.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

@wvincent, I think a .308 or a 6.5CM makes a great training gun. You can learn to load fairly easily, especially if you stick with well known loads.

That’s an AI AE mk3 in .260 Rem that I posted most recently. I have a nice .308 but never use it.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

So, @HeavyDuty, I'm wondering how close you have looked at your particular rifle? Reason being, I was at the LGS today picking up a rifle, and the owner offered me a deal on a Delta 5, actually cheaper than EuroOptic pricing. I went back to get hands on with the one he had left, and I noticed that at the end of the forearm, the right side seemed to be actually touching the barrel. Sure enough, I peeled off a twenty, and it would not slide past the tip of the forearm. After some manipulations of flexing the tip of the forearm, we were able to get the twenty to slide all the way up to the end of the barrel. My theory was that with this rifle being stored in a vertical position, it had been leaning on that side of the forearm for quite some time in the rack. This stock forearm seemed really flimsy, so much that I would have concerns about it touching if I stress loaded up with a bipod. Have you noticed the tip of your forearm being super flexy? I'm still not ruling the rifle out, I suspect I could do a traditional bedding or relieve the barrel channel in the stock to get clearance.

I was just wondering if this is the way they all are, or if the sample I had today was a one off.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    So, @HeavyDuty, I'm wondering how close you have looked at your particular rifle? Reason being, I was at the LGS today picking up a rifle, and the owner offered me a deal on a Delta 5, actually cheaper than EuroOptic pricing. I went back to get hands on with the one he had left, and I noticed that at the end of the forearm, the right side seemed to be actually touching the barrel. Sure enough, I peeled off a twenty, and it would not slide past the tip of the forearm. After some manipulations of flexing the tip of the forearm, we were able to get the twenty to slide all the way up to the end of the barrel. My theory was that with this rifle being stored in a vertical position, it had been leaning on that side of the forearm for quite some time in the rack. This stock forearm seemed really flimsy, so much that I would have concerns about it touching if I stress loaded up with a bipod. Have you noticed the tip of your forearm being super flexy? I'm still not ruling the rifle out, I suspect I could do a traditional bedding or relieve the barrel channel in the stock to get clearance.

I was just wondering if this is the way they all are, or if the sample I had today was a one off.
    I’ll check when I get home from MA next week, but that’s something I checked when I picked it up last year. I haven’t checked since, and the rifle has been in a case leaning against the wall since.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

I’ll check when I get home from MA next week, but that’s something I checked when I picked it up last year. I haven’t checked since, and the rifle has been in a case leaning against the wall since.
    Finally remembered to check. No problems, barrel is centered in the channel.
    Ken

Finally remembered to check. No problems, barrel is centered in the channel.
    Well, that's interesting, wonder if there isn't some other issue in play here. I will stop in Saturday and recheck that particular rifle, see if it is back to the same issue.
    Maybe the whole stock is wonky, I just don't know at this point.
    Thanks for checking.

User Tag List