Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NH police recruit accused in plot to shoot fellow recruits at graduation

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    If you lacked the desire to sleep with your family members or consume feces, then you would pass the psychological test I took to get into the academy.
    Ok, can't disagree with that. I remember answering the MMPI questions and wondering if anyone really answers some of those questions yes. Makes you wonder why we do all that then. Just like the polygraph they always do. We had a guy who passed his poly and turns out he was having sex with his underage daughter.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I was once called by an SAPD detective to give my opinion of a neighbor who applied. Is that a typical procedure?
    I did quite a few pre-hire backgrounds when I was on the job and calling neighbors was a favorite tactic. I'm dating myself, but I'd get out the Cole's Cross Reference Directory and look for long time residents in the applicant's neighborhood and call or visit them. If the applicant had claimed no arrest or police contact history, I'd usually throw in a question to the neighbor like, "Can you please tell me about the time he was arrested (or stopped/detained/etc.)?" Amazing how many times you hit paydirt with that one!
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I was once called by an SAPD detective to give my opinion of a neighbor who applied. Is that a typical procedure?
    Absolutely. I do backgrounds now and I use TLO to get associates of theirs as well as i formation related to neighbors. Then I go pay them a visit.

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    Absolutely. I do backgrounds now and I use TLO to get associates of theirs as well as i formation related to neighbors. Then I go pay them a visit.
    One of my partners back in NYC was doing a background check on a prospective new agency hire and used it as a "go-homer" since it was on his way home to Suffolk County.

Long story short, the neighbor of the candidate was an old-timer who apparently thought the agent was there under false pretenses to investigate him, (for what, I haven't a clue), and held him at rifle point for hours before he finally talked his way out of there. (Nobody had a clue where he was or that he was in a life threatening situation.)

The D.A. decided not to prosecute.

Preaching to the choir, of course, but never let your guard down, even on the most mundane / routine stuff.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    One of my partners back in NYC was doing a background check on a prospective new agency hire and used it as a "go-homer" since it was on his way home to Suffolk County.

Long story short, the neighbor of the candidate was an old-timer who apparently thought the agent was there under false pretenses to investigate him, (for what, I haven't a clue), and held him at rifle point for hours before he finally talked his way out of there. (Nobody had a clue where he was or that he was in a life threatening situation.)

The D.A. decided not to prosecute.

Preaching to the choir, of course, but never let your guard down, even on the most mundane / routine stuff.
    Lol! I just closed out one on a validated gang member. I knew going into it there was something shady going on when I started talking to folks and it didn’t take long to smoke him out. Social media is another killer on backgrounds. Needless to say he was sent packing but they’re out there for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by AZgunguy View Post
    Time to find a new psychologist for your testing process. At the minimum, a serious review on the hiring process needs to be accomplished because someone that crazy shouldn't have gotten through the process.
    NH PD hiring is bizarre.

I applied to a lot of PDs over time, and usually got poor feedback on the oral boards (both "you're too relaxed" and "you seem stilted"). Military officer, TS-SCi clearance, good references, good PT, high test scores... But some of the stories I've heard from buddies in the area (new officer shows up and immediately fired on day 1, large PD with hundreds of applicants can't find one perfect one to fill of their 20 openings) leads me to believe NH PDs really don't know what they're looking for and crap like this is the result.

User Tag List