Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: G42, G43, and gen 5 Trigger Issues

G42, G43, and gen 5 Trigger Issues

Hi all,
    I am starting this thread to compile data on this topic. I’ve started hearing rumors of G43’s and gen 5 Glocks with low round counts (2-4K) having issues with the triggers becoming progressively harder to depress and/or becoming gritty or just degrading in general. I’d like to hear from anyone who’s had these issues. Please post at what point it started, what type of lube you use, if it’s been cleaned and when, if you have had it back to Glock and if so what they said/did.

I have a G43 that is my all time favorite pistol for CCW. I only have about 500 rnds through it so far though. I am concerned about the long term reliability after hearing this. I am assuming it has something to do with the new internal design of the 42, 43, and gen5’s.

Hopefully this is helpful and instructive to all.
    Thanks
    Nate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

With all the Glocks I've had remotely recently (Generations 3-5), after shooting a couple thousand or several thousand rounds, there is grit/carbon/junk in the area where the trigger bar and connector touch, and it also gets dry. Then I clean and lube that area - I personally use copper anti-seize like the factory - and then the trigger is nicer again. I haven't seen anything to make me thing there is an actual issue with the gun.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    With all the Glocks I've had remotely recently (Generations 3-5), after shooting a couple thousand or several thousand rounds, there is grit/carbon/junk in the area where the trigger bar and connector touch, and it also gets dry. Then I clean and lube that area - I personally use copper anti-seize like the factory - and then the trigger is nicer again. I haven't seen anything to make me thing there is an actual issue with the gun.
    Thank you for your input! Exactly what I am looking for. Is the copper anti seize gun specific, or just something from an auto parts store? I use balistol almost exclusively, but I am always interested in learning about new and different products.

This is my Gen5 19. Stock, never detail stripped, always lubed, ~4,200 rounds.

Last edited by M2CattleCo; 12-08-2017 at 06:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by leathermaneod View Post
    Thank you for your input! Exactly what I am looking for. Is the copper anti seize gun specific, or just something from an auto parts store? I use balistol almost exclusively, but I am always interested in learning about new and different products.

Auto parts store. I'm just copying the factory, there is no special knowledge of mine behind it.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

The factory copper antiseize is Loctite C5A, I believe. If you’re looking to source it with more info than “copper stuff in Glocks”

We used to use assembling extremely expensive high temperature stainless steel extrusion dies. Good stuff.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

G42, G43, and gen 5 Trigger Issues

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    This is my Gen5 19. Stock, never detail stripped, always lubed, ~4,200 rounds.

That kinda sounds like the little bit of spring noise my G26 makes, only more like clicking, and I assume you can feel it too, not just hear it.

You and I spoke a bit in another thread, that’s partly what caused me to start this one. I want to get as much info in one place as possible. Maybe find some common denominators. Would you mind sharing your full story? IIRC you have had similar issues with a G43 and a 19.5?

EDIT: that’s weird, I couldn’t see the little caption you posted with the vid until after I quoted your post. What was that gun lubed with? Have you ever looked at the areas where the trigger bar and connector touch? Will that gun be going back to Glock?

Last edited by leathermaneod; 12-08-2017 at 07:05 PM.

@leathermaneod

If you can put it on full screen you can kinda see that the clicking sound is when the trigger starts moving again after stopping. I'm applying steady pressure and the trigger is binding-breaking free through the travel.

I'm not sure when it started, but I noticed it today while doing some 25 yard shooting checking out a KKM barrel.

Gun has been lubed generously with Slip 2000 EWL since day 1.

I highly doubt I send it back to Glock. All they'll do is replace all the guts. I can get an armorer to get me the parts and I can do that myself.

Right now I'm at the point of deciding whether I accept rebuilding Glocks every 3K rounds, or dump the platform and move on.
    Last edited by M2CattleCo; 12-08-2017 at 07:31 PM.

As of this posting, I've got the following round counts through my:
    G43: 5900
    G17Gen5: 4700
    G19Gen5: 4400

I've not had trigger issues becoming harder.
    These Glocks have not needed to go back to Glock. Even though I'm a Glock Armorer, I have sent some of my Glocks back to Smyrna for other issues, but not these models.

I've had these models apart and I've cleaned the internals, beyond normal field stripping.
    For the trigger bar/connector interface, I'll usually use Breakfree "CLP". This is what comes in Glock's Armorers' tool kit and supplied to the Glock Armorer instructors. I've used other brands of lubrication over the years. One doesn't need to go to a Glock Armorers class to be able to detail strip things if you're a bit mechanical and desire to learn how to do it from the various online and written sources available. It is possible to break or lose a part now & then, however.

My G43 from 2015 had a, now discontinued, connector which was superceded with "33564" connector. The newer connector dropped the trigger pull 1.0 to 1.5 pounds, down to an average 5.5 pounds. I think mine comes out slightly less on my scale. This could be part of the rumors the original post is referencing regarding trigger pull.

Another person on this forum showed some chrome plating coming off his trigger bar which probably made his trigger pull degrade. I haven't followed that person's issue and don't know if a new or cleaned-up trigger bar solved the problem or not. This could be another source of the original post's concerns.

Overall, I see nothing specific to the G43, G42, G17Gen5, or G19Gen5's trigger design which is negative. Any gun may break at an inopportune moment. Frequent range time can help identify problems, but frequent shooting will also increase the round count, thus contributing to possible future breakages.

What to do? Having a spare gun to use, while the other is being repaired is one thing I do. Carrying two guns was what I did when I was working as a cop; not so often now, but still once-in-awhile. Overall and generally speaking, I don't see a Glock having a catastrophic failure in normal or casual usage. This is coming from a guy who's had four Glock frames replaced due to breakages, wear, or cracking (two were from a bad serial number range).

I put whatever grease is handy on the connector.

User Tag List