Page 37 of 112 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787 ... LastLast

Thread: New Glocks prior to SHOT -- G43X, G48, and G44?

As a Glock fan with small hands, living in a mag restricted state; I am extremely excited for this! Can't wait to get my hands on one.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I wonder if part of this is appealing to female buyers, which may be viewed as a major growth opportunity.

My girlfriend (who has been a gun owner longer than I have) shoots IDPA CCP with her carry P365 because it fits in her hand best—she has very small hands. She wanted a 4” gun for competition but couldn’t find one that fit. The Gen 5 Glock 19 was close, but still a smidge too thick for her to reach the controls and trigger comfortable. I’ll bet the Glock 48 will be just about perfect for her.

Additionally, she really likes the look of two-tone guns. Before the P365 came out she bought a XD Subcompact two-tone.

If my sample size of one is any indication, this model might really appeal to female shooters who want a “Glock 19 for small hands.”

Site Supporter
    Oh look a Kahr sized Glock

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I guess my thing with front serrations is that they are seldom necessary. Anything you need to do with a duty/defensive pistol can be accomplished with the rear serrations.

I have always seen people on other derp infected sites make statements about how they can’t believe Glock doesn’t offer them from the factory. Or my favorite, “no front serrations, no care” when a new release is being discussed. As if somehow the gun won’t work properly without them. They act like Glock is doing them a disservice by not having them on the end of their guns and I’ve always chalked it up to the internet-mall-ninja syndrome. Lately though I’ve been seeing comments like that here and I find it troubling.

As far as cosmetics go, I freely admit I think pistols look better without the front serrations. That’s of course subjective, but the shooters who want them can get them added. I can’t put material back to get rid of them. If a series of pistols truly needs something to be better, safer, or more effective, go for it. But if Glock gives in to the internet-mall-ninja crowd with their wants masquerading as needs… it will be a sad day in my book.

With regard to holsters I’ve already seen people posting up how to modify ALS holsters so the front serrations don’t hang up on the inside during the draw. I have several ALS holsters and don’t have any desire to have to dremel or file their insides because of this added new “feature” on Glocks. I’ve also heard that they chew up leather holsters, though I can’t confirm this because I’ve never had guns with cosmetic, I mean, front serrations on them.

Why do we want our fingers anywhere near the muzzle? I remember watching folks at the range decades ago using the technique to press-check 1911’s where the support finger is on the plunger and the thumb hooked inside the trigger guard. Seems like a really stupid way to do that, especially on a 1911 with the very small trigger guard, light trigger, hammer back, and safety off… but all it takes is one “cool guy” to do it and the novice shooters line up to try it. I press-check my duty weapon before holstering each morning. I have no problem doing so with the rear serrations. Even my Glocks that wear optics (slide mounted red dot and ALG 6 Second Mount) work perfectly with that technique. And with the 6 Second Mount, racking the slide from the front is much more challenging since the weapon light sits even lower than normal, and the optic is over the middle of the weapon. Oh, and when I ordered my WC 1911, I made sure they did not put front serrations on the gun. I’ve had zero issues working the gun without them. As an agency firearms instructor, thinking about LEO's on the range trying to rack the gun with front serrations gives me cold chills. I really hope if anyone from Glock is reading these threads, they understand where I'm coming from and make them an option rather than the standard.

Bottom line for me is this – unless you have an IPSC style, very large optic on your pistol, everything that needs to be done can be accomplished with the rear serrations. That includes guns with slide mounted red dots. If you “want” front serrations, then more power to you. Justify it in your mind however you must. But too many people in my experience believe they “need” them and I just don’t think I’ll ever get on board that train. If we took away your front serrations, you’d still be able to employ your pistol without penalty.
    Fair points...

I personally find it faster and more ergonomic to cycle the gun from the front. As with any manipulation of a (potentially) loaded firearm, care must be taken to do so safely, but I consider front serrations a "nice to have" feature.

That said, I do not particularly love Glock's implementation - I would prefer the serrations be positioned a bit further back. It is better than nothing, though, IMO.
    "A man's character is his fate."

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    My reply is worded towards all posters, not written with you in mind. I had it typed up last night and got distracted with stuff. I'm curious though - is it that easy to engage the brightness buttons when racking with rear serrations? They are pretty high up on the sides from looking at mine. Whether using a sling-shot or overhand technique I can't imagine pushing them hard enough.

************************************************** ************************************************** *

I guess my thing with front serrations is that they are seldom necessary. Anything you need to do with a duty/defensive pistol can be accomplished with the rear serrations.

I have always seen people on other derp infected sites make statements about how they can’t believe Glock doesn’t offer them from the factory. Or my favorite, “no front serrations, no care” when a new release is being discussed. As if somehow the gun won’t work properly without them. They act like Glock is doing them a disservice by not having them on the end of their guns and I’ve always chalked it up to the internet-mall-ninja syndrome. Lately though I’ve been seeing comments like that here and I find it troubling.

As far as cosmetics go, I freely admit I think pistols look better without the front serrations. That’s of course subjective, but the shooters who want them can get them added. I can’t put material back to get rid of them. If a series of pistols truly needs something to be better, safer, or more effective, go for it. But if Glock gives in to the internet-mall-ninja crowd with their wants masquerading as needs… it will be a sad day in my book.

With regard to holsters I’ve already seen people posting up how to modify ALS holsters so the front serrations don’t hang up on the inside during the draw. I have several ALS holsters and don’t have any desire to have to dremel or file their insides because of this added new “feature” on Glocks. I’ve also heard that they chew up leather holsters, though I can’t confirm this because I’ve never had guns with cosmetic, I mean, front serrations on them.

Why do we want our fingers anywhere near the muzzle? I remember watching folks at the range decades ago using the technique to press-check 1911’s where the support finger is on the plunger and the thumb hooked inside the trigger guard. Seems like a really stupid way to do that, especially on a 1911 with the very small trigger guard, light trigger, hammer back, and safety off… but all it takes is one “cool guy” to do it and the novice shooters line up to try it. I press-check my duty weapon before holstering each morning. I have no problem doing so with the rear serrations. Even my Glocks that wear optics (slide mounted red dot and ALG 6 Second Mount) work perfectly with that technique. And with the 6 Second Mount, racking the slide from the front is much more challenging since the weapon light sits even lower than normal, and the optic is over the middle of the weapon. Oh, and when I ordered my WC 1911, I made sure they did not put front serrations on the gun. I’ve had zero issues working the gun without them. As an agency firearms instructor, thinking about LEO's on the range trying to rack the gun with front serrations gives me cold chills. I really hope if anyone from Glock is reading these threads, they understand where I'm coming from and make them an option rather than the standard.

Bottom line for me is this – unless you have an IPSC style, very large optic on your pistol, everything that needs to be done can be accomplished with the rear serrations. That includes guns with slide mounted red dots. If you “want” front serrations, then more power to you. Justify it in your mind however you must. But too many people in my experience believe they “need” them and I just don’t think I’ll ever get on board that train. If we took away your front serrations, you’d still be able to employ your pistol without penalty.

Obviously you feel strongly about this. Frankly it's just the place I prefer to put my hand on the slide of a pistol I'm manipulating. I can't say I particularly agree with many of your points but I don't find the internet to be a productive place to debate tactics and procedures. That said I don't mind if you continue your way - I won't call for manufacturers to remove rear serrations
    Last edited by ChaseN; 12-26-2018 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by s0nspark View Post
    Fair points...

I personally find it faster and more ergonomic to cycle the gun from the front. As with any manipulation of a (potentially) loaded firearm, care must be taken to do so safely, but I consider front serrations a "nice to have" feature.

That said, I do not particularly love Glock's implementation - I would prefer the serrations be positioned a bit further back. It is better than nothing, though, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaseN View Post

Obviously you feel strongly about this. Frankly it's just the place I prefer to put my hand on the slide of a pistol I'm manipulating. I can't say I particularly agree with many of your points but I don't find the internet to be a productive place to debate tactics and procedures. That said I don't mind if you continue your way - I won't call for manufacturers to remove rear serrations
    Lol! Thanks – my OODA loop would be spinning uncontrollably at Mach 3 if you took away my rear serrations.

I get it – it’s a free country and all. People should gun how they want. I’m not telling anyone how to manipulate their pistols (unless they are on our line during quals and doing something unsafe), but it feels like I'm being told my gun must have front serrations. And yea, I'll admit it does gnaw at me when I see them pushed as necessary for a carry/duty gun. As if somehow Glock users (and others with guns that lack front serrations) have avoided being killed in the streets by pure luck all these years. Trust me - I wish it didn't bug me, and for a long time I ignored all the comments. But now Glock is jumping on board and I'm going to have to suck it up from the looks of it. lol!

One point I forgot – if I use the front of the slide from underneath the pistol, it feels like I have less control and mechanical advantage than the rear slides. Of course a lightly sprung match gun that runs on mouse-fart hand loads would work that way, but it also means no weapon light unless it's very skinny. If I use the front of the slide from on top, my hand or wrist can cover the ejection port which can induce a malfunction and if Mr Murphy is around, cause the cartridge to fall back inside and be detonated by the ejector. I just don't see any benefit to front serrations and I see unnecessary risk.

I say eliminate the REAR cocking serrations. Just like John Browning originally intended.

Personally I almost exclusively rack from the front. It’s typically faster, more leverage, especially if you’re trying to clear a stuck case. It’s much easier to rack from the front when an optic is mounted, so if you shoot both optics and non optics, you can keep the same technique.

Of course I’m only kidding about removing the rear cocking serrations, since I’m not going to complain about a feature others may like simply because I don’t like the way it looks. That’d be ridiculous.
    Last edited by Bucky; 12-26-2018 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post

Of course I’m only kidding about removing the rear cocking serrations, since I’m not going to complain about a feature others may like simply because I don’t like the way it looks. That’d be ridiculous.
    That would be hilarious if that was what I said...

Site Supporter
    Rumors heard at the range today NW of Atlanta from a friend who is well connected with industry:
    G43X coming = 10 +1 capacity 9mm.
    G44 = G19 sized pistol in 22LR
    G48 coming = singlestack G19 with 12+1 capacity 9mm.

We shall see......

User Tag List