Thread: Thompson/Center Contender for load development?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"

Thompson/Center Contender for load development?

Posting this here because it's about load development, not semi-auto pistols or revolvers. Could be long gun or shotgun, but that's not the point either.

Much of the load data one sees in certain calibers, such as .357 Magnum, is listed with an 8- or 10-inch barrel. If it's 8 3/8, I'll assume it's an S&W revolver. Otherwise, who knows? Occasionally, the data uses a no-longer-available bullet or something. Trying to use that data to work up a load with a 4- or 6-inch revolver and a different bullet is at best a directional guideline. Although it's logical to treat the upper end as a hard limit, when you're of necessity or by preference changing components, there really isn't a way to know where you are. It's also hard to compare loads from different sources if they used significantly different barrel lengths, but some of them have notably different max loads listed. A chronometer is of no help, as you can't expect velocities to even be close. Especially with pistol cartridges, you may actually be way over pressure before pressure signs appear.

In the interest of changing as few variables as possible, I realized that a Thompson/Center Contender might provide a good answer. As simple as it gets. Caliber changes are cheap, just pick up a good used barrel on fleabay or GunBroker. You can easily and relatively inexpensively match the odd long barrels that lots of data is published with. (It may even be what the manufacturers used for their load development work.)

You could even easily set up a pressure measuring system on the barrel, which would be essentially impossible on a semi with its reciprocating slide or a revolver. Here's the Pressure Trace system:
    https://www.shootingsoftware.com/pressure.htm

I assume 90 percent of people who read this will want to say I'm overthinking it. I'm an engineer. Thinking things through to the last detail is what I do. That's how we get better at stuff. And working without data is little more than wishful thinking.

Is anyone else here doing something along these lines?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Is anyone else here doing something along these lines?
    Not me, but I do have a lot of Contender barrels. Barrel prices vary greatly but there are still sub-$200 deals to be had.

If you go this route, chop the TC barrel to the length of your pistol/revolver.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Received a barrel from the brown truck today. 10-inch octagon chambered in .38SPL. Based on all my reading, if I want a good .357 chamber, rechambering from a shorter cartridge is the best option. Already fitted with split locking bolts. The Hodgdon/IMR data was reported with a 10-inch barrel, so I have a reasonable reference.

Dang, this is a nice piece. Old school, miles-deep bluing. Beautifully made in an industrial revolution kind of way. I can't say I won't pick up one or two more completely unnecessary octagon barrels just because. Sure is a cheap way to scratch a cartridge itch if you're that kind of nerd.

The receiver is on the way to my FFL, from a seller who appears to be working through an estate or otherwise a collection. Lots of receivers, etc. The one I have coming is apparently from ~1991, so it has the latest style everything. No marring or rub marks from the stocks and no brass witness marks on the breech face. Quite possibly unfired.

Got a Pachmayr Presentation grip. Just looking for one of those old one-bolt Herrett forearms.

Thinking this will be fun.
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Sure is a cheap way to scratch a cartridge itch if you're that kind of nerd.
    It's cheap until you find yourself with a stack of barrels, scopes, and dies. Don't say I didn't warn you.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Just bought the second barrel off Fleabay. It came with a really nice forend that I need to get going with the first barrel, and .22LR will let me do lots of cheap shooting. He says...

I'll admit, some honesty about this crap and what's important in life did factor into the decision to fix the stray cat that tried sneaking into my garage on Saturday.
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    It's cheap until you find yourself with a stack of barrels, scopes, and dies. Don't say I didn't warn you.
    Been there, done that. Dumped everything. Looking for another frame to start all over again.

User Tag List