Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: .22 revolver for training

Site Supporter
    The reason I originally mentioned the 617 was the ability to mount a red dot. Would I be better off using a 317 to practice trigger control in conjunction with a different revolver with a RDS? I was thinking light revolver with a DA trigger and RDS for feedback but I’m not sure that combination is realistic. I could do a 63 and have it drilled and tapped...
    Last edited by sharps54; 12-16-2018 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Complete thought

I’m probably in the top 10 for worst shooter eyes on P-F at this point, and even I can sort of see the 43c sights. The dot and U notch is way ahead of the typical 642/442/etc sights. FWIW.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    If you don't need sights, yes.
    The 43C sights are on par with the 640 Pro and 360. That XS Big Dot is the same that goes on top of a lot of competition guns. Perhaps you're not really familiar with the 43c and 351c?
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

The sight radius makes the 317 3" a better training gun because, for me, it provides more cross-over to the pistols I'm training to use, all of which have usable sights unlike the 43C or other fixed-sight J-frames.
    The sight radius makes the 317 3" a better training for me gun because, for me, it provides more cross-over to the pistols I'm training to use, all of which have usable sights to me.

FIFY
    Julius Caesar

Site Supporter
    Even though I have settled in the 442 for a pocket gun I'm looking for something with adjustable sights so I can concentrate on trigger control as opposed to trigger control and Kentucky windage if the sights aren't regulated for the .22s it shoots best.

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    Even though I have settled in the 442 for a pocket gun I'm looking for something with adjustable sights so I can concentrate on trigger control as opposed to trigger control and Kentucky windage if the sights aren't regulated for the .22s it shoots best.
    I haven't noticed a lot of difference in groups with the 43c out to 15 yards nor have I managed to shoot better groups with my 3" 317 at those distances. Not many people are going to realize enough difference to take advantage of the adjustable sights except for perhaps off a bench. If you're stuck on having adjustable sights it would have precluded a lot of discussion if you had mentioned that in your original post.

It sounds like you're leaning towards a larger frame gun. If you want a new one you can look at the SP-101, GP-100, and the 617. All of those have adjustable sights and are larger than a J frame/LCR.
    Julius Caesar

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    I haven't noticed a lot of difference in groups with the 43c out to 15 yards nor have I managed to shoot better groups with my 3" 317 at those distances. Not many people are going to realize enough difference to take advantage of the adjustable sights except for perhaps off a bench. If you're stuck on having adjustable sights it would have precluded a lot of discussion if you had mentioned that in your original post.

It sounds like you're leaning towards a larger frame gun. If you want a new one you can look at the SP-101, GP-100, and the 617. All of those have adjustable sights and are larger than a J frame/LCR.
    The sights on the 43C don't match my 442 so I'm not sure there is any advantage of that over the 317 or 3" LCR in . 22.

At the moment I don't have anywhere to shoot steel so as long as the group's are on paper I guess it doesn't matter if the point of aim and point of impact match although I would think that would be preferable.

I'm tempted by the 3" .22 LCR but wonder if the 317 will hold up better to lots of dry fire and range use.
    Last edited by sharps54; 12-16-2018 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Typos

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    The 43C sights are on par with the 640 Pro and 360. That XS Big Dot is the same that goes on top of a lot of competition guns. Perhaps you're not really familiar with the 43c and 351c?
    I am familiar with the sights on the 43C. I don't consider them comparable to the 640 Pro because the 43C has no proper rear sight, only the traditional J-frame trough. For my purposes--training to manage the DA trigger stroke with a 22lr revolver--a big dot at the end of a short trough is less useful than the serrated Baughman ramp front / target-rear sight picture on my 317 3".

I am familiar with the sights on the 43C. I don't consider them comparable to the 640 Pro because the 43C has no proper rear sight, only the traditional J-frame trough.
    People’s opinion on this can differ:

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Opinions certainly can differ--and they should, particularly when it comes to handgun sights.

The pictures above show what I call the traditional J-frame trough sight. Here is a comparison between the sights on my S&W M331 no dash 32 H&R (top, essentially the same as the 43C sights pictured above) and my S&W 317 no dash (bottom). These pictures illustrate the difference between the two sight pictures and also show why I consider the 317 target sight picture to be more useful for training than the trough-sight picture--the target sight picture better approximates the sights I have on my other handguns. Different sights for different purposes. If I wanted a training revolver similar to my 442/642/640's, the 43C would be the obvious--and best--choice. Assuming I could find one free from manufacturing defects.

Last edited by oregon45; 12-16-2018 at 05:33 PM.

User Tag List