Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: .22 revolver for training

Everyone should own a K22.

This 617 is wonderfully accurate to 100 meters, though drop and wind drift with target velocity ammunition makes for interesting shooting problems. This revolver, on 100 meter steel targets, has taught me more about follow-through than any other handgun I've shot.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I think a heavier .22 like the 617 is great for hunting or target shooting, but is too easy to shoot for maximum training benefit. I use a 317. I think that is what the Rogers School used until they went to the LCR .22.
    How do you mean? Is it because of sight radius? Trigger qualities?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    How do you mean? Is it because of sight radius? Trigger qualities?

Total weight, trigger quality, sight radius and general ease of shooting!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

The 317 is very hard to shoot well because the trigger pull is nearly 18 times the weight of the gun. My 3" 317 no dash weighs 12.5oz. It has a DA trigger pull of 14lbs with the stock springs. There are lighter spring combinations that might drop that pull down, but I'd rather not compromise reliable ignition. I have other DA 22's with smooth triggers for fast shooting.

If you can hold a consistent sight picture through a 14lb trigger pull on a 12oz gun, you'll have built some real skill. I plan on doing that this year, and pulled my 317 3" out of the storage safe for just that purpose.
    Last edited by oregon45; 12-15-2018 at 09:17 PM.

Site Supporter
    Just out of curiosity...would a 43C be a good training gun?

If you don't need sights, yes.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Total weight, trigger quality, sight radius and general ease of shooting!
    I understand all that except the sight radius. I would have thought a longer sight radius would give you more feedback during the trigger pull and thus be an advantage in this application? Is it just that “harder is better” trumps that?

The sight radius makes the 317 3" a better training gun because, for me, it provides more cross-over to the pistols I'm training to use, all of which have usable sights unlike the 43C or other fixed-sight J-frames.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I understand all that except the sight radius. I would have thought a longer sight radius would give you more feedback during the trigger pull and thus be an advantage in this application? Is it just that “harder is better” trumps that?
    A longer sight radius does provide more feedback for adjustment of point of impact. Aiming becomes more precise. These statements are not generalizations. Even with rifles equipped with iron sights, increasing radius allows more precise aiming.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I’ve got a Taurus 94, and while not a premium choice, I’ve actually been nothing but impressed. SA trigger is very nice, and it’s surprisingly accurate. Kids like to shoot it and heck, so do I.

Then again I bought it for my grandpa about 15 years ago and when he passed I got it back, so there might be a bit of attachment there.

User Tag List