Thread: Week 299: Original IDPA Classifier

Week 299: Original IDPA Classifier

Week 299: Original IDPA Classifier

Results may be posted until January 14th, 2019.

Designed by: IDPA
    Range: 5-20 yards
    Target: Three IDPA targets at staggered heights (6', 4', 5' from left to right)
    Start position: Hands at sides unless otherwise specified
    Rounds fired: 90

This is IDPA's original course of fire to determine appropriate classification for IDPA competition. More generally, it is a reasonably broad test than can serve as an ongoing benchmark of skill over time, and allow direct comparison to many other shooters, including up to the highest levels.

The targets from left to right are T1, T2, and T3. You'll need a short barricade at the 15 yard line and a tall barricade at the 20 yard line. See attached Stage Setup diagram.

Stage 1 (7 yard line)
    String 1: Draw and shoot 2 body 1 head to T1 only.
    String 2: Draw and shoot 2 body 1 head to T2 only.
    String 3: Draw and shoot 2 body 1 head to T3 only.
    String 4: Draw and shoot 2 to each head T1 to T3.
    String 5: Start position is support hand only ready with handgun downrange at a 45 degree angle. Shoot 1 to each T1 to T3.
    String 6: Start facing uprange with exactly 3 rounds in holstered pistol. Turn, draw, shoot 1 to each T1 to T3, slidelock reload, and shoot 1 to each T1 to T3.
    String 7: Draw and shoot 2 to each T1 to T3 strong hand only.

Stage 2 (10 yard line)
    String 1: Draw and advance toward targets, shoot 2 to each T1 to T3 on the move before passing the 5 yard line.
    String 2: (Start at 5 yard line) Draw and retreat away from targets, shoot 2 to each T1 to T3 on the move before passing the 10 yard line.
    String 3: Start facing uprange with exactly 6 rounds in holstered pistol. Turn, draw, shoot 2 to each T1 to T3, slidelock reload, and shoot 2 to each T1 to T3.
    String 4: Draw and shoot 2 to each T1 to T3 strong hand only.

Stage 3 (20 yard line)
    String 1: Draw and shoot 2 to each T1 to T3 from either side of the barricade, tactical reload, shoot 2 to each T1 to T3 from the opposite side of the barricade.
    String 2: Draw and shoot 2 to each T1 to T3 from either side of the barricade, tactical reload, advance to the short barricade at the 15 yard line, shoot 2 to each T1 to T3 from either side of the short barricade while kneeling.
    String 3: (Start standing behind short barricade at the 15 yard line) Draw, kneel, and shoot 2 to each T1 to T3 from either side of short barricade.

Concealment is optional. Targets can be engaged in any order, except from behind the barricades on Stage 3, where targets must be engaged from the outside in. 100% of shooter's lower body and 50% of shooter's upper body must be behind barricade. All shots are to the body unless specified to the head. On Stage 3, the partially filled magazine must be retained when doing the 'tactical reload.' The magazine may be retained in a pants pocket, magazine pouch, or in the waistband. It is not supposed to be retained in your mouth, a shirt pocket, or a dump pouch. If the partial magazine is dropped, it must either be recovered and retained or the shooter receives a 3 second procedural penalty. On Stage 3 String 2, the shooter may leave the tall barricade when the new magazine is fully seated in the handgun, and may not shoot from the short barricade until the partial magazine has been retained and two hands are on the gun.

Scoring: Limited Vickers (no makeup shots are allowed.) Your score is your time, plus penalties. Original scoring is 1 point down equals 0.5 seconds added. Misses are 5 points down. Designated head shots that hit the body count as misses. Designated body shots that hit the head (anywhere in the head for original scoring) receive no penalty. Add up your raw time and penalties to determine your total score. See attached score sheet for Division and Classification score cutoffs.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Pistol, holster, and concealment (optional) used
    Raw time
    Points down (specify whether you are using the old .5 second per point, or new 1 second per point scoring system)
    Total Score

Here's an older video of 5-time USPSA Production Champion Ben Stoeger shooting a sub-60 second run:

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.

StageSetup.pdf
    Classification_Score_Sheet.pdf
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Name:  IMG_2491.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  50.9 KB

Here it is. Not very pretty.
    Beretta LTT Elite, JMCK custom range holster, Wolf 115 steel case ammo.
    Raw time: 92.65
    Points down: 59 I used .5 because that is what I have been using for the 20 years I have been shooting this classifier.
    Plus 1 procedural.
    Final score: 125.15 mid level SS.

Points down were really bad for me. Low hits. I had decided to shoot this Beretta until I learned how to shoot it. I guess I'm not there yet.

i think my best a few years ago was about 138. too many misses.

but back in October, i ran the 72 round classifier at 94.54, which would just make Expert, but it didn't count, as i was the only SO there that day. sigh. try again another day.

I’ve shot Expert for SSP/ESP any number of times officially and in practice.

I’d have to have a really bad day to make SS but not Expert, and I never quite made Master times.

I haven’t shot the new IDPA Classifier yet.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Site Supporter
    I made it to Expert in SSR when I was actively shooting IDPA, but I stopped about ten years ago due to job/time conflict. I'm just starting to get back into it - wish I had two more target stands so I could shoot this!

GLOCK Model45(9x19), w/Bold sights,orange .200 front
    Safariland Level 3 “duty” holster, open mag pouch(unconcealed)
    Raw time: 99.32
    Points down=28. I used the “.5”second calculation, so down 14 points, for a total of:
    113.32(“Expert SSP”, if I’m reading chart right).
    Shot this with a friend on a dimmed indoor range(because we could). Due to aggravated knee, did not kneel; adding 6 seconds in procedurals, and I barely stay in “Expert”(119.32)
    I think this is a pretty good test of techniques across mid ranges. I will most likely hit it again. I noted more points down back at 15-20 yards, and will almost certainly do some work at 25 yards+ in the new year.
    Safe and happy holidays to all!

*USPSA Version (USPSA Targets and Gear)

Glock 34

-5 (+2.5 seconds)

Generally I don't shoot outside this time of year...or anytime it's under 50 degrees but I always enjoy shooting the IDPA Classifier. It's been around a long time, everyone has shot it and it's good to see how you stack up against others...and compared to your own past performances.
    A71593

User Tag List