Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grab bag for long-distance day road trips

Grab bag for long-distance day road trips

I drive a LOT for work: pretty much anywhere in the state of Arizona. I’d like to set up a grab bag for basic essentials in case of a breakdown or unexpected overnight stay. Most of the time I’m on well-traveled roads and/or have cell signal, but not always, and weather conditions can vary greatly depending on season/location: 20 in the winter to 120 in some parts of the state in winter. I have to wear shirt and tie for work. I’m able to carry, but have to leave it in the car when going into courthouses.

I’d like to have something that is ready to grab on the way out the door, and requires a minimum of packing/unpacking for different conditions. Here’s what I’m thinking so far, but am looking for suggestions/additions:

Maxpedition-type backpack

Change of clothes: probably some sort of hiking-type wear that would support a holster and be easy to walk several miles in a breakdown, but not too out of place if I had to spend the night in a town. Thinking a merino base layer for winter, and a switch between lighter and insulated (my feet tend to get very cold even in moderate conditions) Merrells depending on the season. For colder conditions, I can throw a heavier jacket in the car, but otherwise would prefer everything to be contained in the pack.

Small overnight toilitries kit

Pistol/spare mag, and holster/mag pouch

Flashlight

Hydration bladder, and potentially an extra water bottle for summer months

Flop hat for sun

First aid kit

Phone charger

Energy bars

Anything else I should be looking at?

Site Supporter
    I just came back from a vacation and I will be adding a spare cell phone charger cable and an external battery for the cell phone. I would also add maps and a solar battery charger for the phone.

Site Supporter Notorious E.O.C.'s Avatar
    Mission drives equipment, but threat defines mission. It sounds like you've got two separate threats: being stranded in a town and being stranded on the road.

Stranded in town? No problem, so long as there's a motel vacancy. Plan according to what you'd want with you for any other overnight within the confines of civilization.

Stranded on the road? I strongly recommend staying with the vehicle as Plan A. Hiking out should be somewhere far, far down on your list, especially given the extremes of summer and winter weather you describe. Unless there is immediate danger (flood, wildfire, zombie bears), staying with the vehicle gives you shelter and makes you easier to find. In the absence of said immediate danger, ditching the vehicle significantly reduces your chance of a positive outcome.

As you have already identified, build a core list of items to stock year-round and supplement it with seasonal gear appropriate to local weather extremes.

Some specific points:

• Try to avoid stocking food for emergencies that you wouldn't eat if it weren't an emergency. A lot of energy bars have fairly short shelf lives, so be prepared to rotate frequently if you go that route, especially in hotter months.

• After once finding myself out of state with a credit card that had been disabled due to fraud detection algorithms, I always maintain a dedicated credit card for emergencies only. I have one minor monthly recurring bill on it to keep it active, but I have a high degree of confidence that it won't suddenly be shut off when some Bangladeshi hacker steals its info from Amazon and buys eight hundred dollars in Eurorail passes.

• If you know shit weather is on the way, file a drive plan (flight plan, float plan, whatever) with someone who isn't afraid to declare you overdue if you miss check-in. Include vehicle description and license number, personal description, and intended routes and destinations.

• Test your preps. The emergency is not the time to take the ass-saving device out of the box and RTFM.

As always, there is no one-size-fits-all disaster. YMMV.
    Last edited by Notorious E.O.C.; 12-14-2018 at 01:54 PM.
    The way we do science in XCOM is basically by shooting things first.
    - Jake Solomon

I second the spare charger cord and additional power supply. If the alternator dies thus leaving you stranded the car isn't going to help charge a dead/dying phone. I would add a multi tool or Swiss army knife and instead food I would go with electrolyte drink. Most people can go a very long time without food but water/electrolytes are important even in short term situations. Additionally a electrolyte drink with sugar and salts has calories and a lower freezing point.

You're on the right track, OP. I agree with everything you've proposed to carry.

I would add:
    Solid fixed blade knife you trust.
    Box of 50 rnds extra ammo.
    Milspec poncho, with 550 cord already on the ends.
    More 550 cord.
    Make sure your IFAK is well-stocked.
    3 ways to make fire.
    "Coasr Guard rations"-200 cal food tabs sealed in a pack, sold at places like Sportsmans Wharehouse.
    Compass.
    Toilet paper-the currency of the apocolypse.
    Multitool.
    Last edited by ViniVidivici; 12-14-2018 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Other

Amateur radio license and a mobile rig in the car. And maybe a handheld to augment it. You can get away with a total outlay of well under $200. Might be priceless if you get stranded due to a flash flood.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

I’m very happy with the VertX Gamut and Gamut plus packs. Wait for a holiday sale and they often have 35 or 40 percent discounts.

I’d also add a VS-17 panel. Takes up little space but makes it VERY easy to spot you from a distance or the air.

I keep one of these in each vehicle plus a couple extra. Warm and only slightly bigger than the Mylar “space blankets “. It can provide shade in summer and warmth in winter.

https://www.amazon.com/S-Survive-Out...2Bblanket&th=1

As mentioned, you need to define the problem you are trying to solve before you end up with a 50 pound pack of stuff you will never need.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Amateur radio license and a mobile rig in the car. And maybe a handheld to augment it. You can get away with a total outlay of well under $200. Might be priceless if you get stranded due to a flash flood.
    Or something like this: https://explore.garmin.com/en-US/inreach/

Not too expensive, easy to use and there are some basic plans that allow texting.

Site Supporter
    You’re thinking too tactical and I wouldn’t leave a pistol in the bag that would live in the car.

Go to REI or whatever store (I know we are supposed to hate REI) and get a 25L pack in a neutral color and build from there. Add toothbrush and any other small hygiene or meds. I always got floss and an anti diarrhea. Add extra underwear and socks to make your feel good about things. Rain jacket and puffy layer, thin hat and gloves. Add 2 or 3 liters of water - bottled water won’t turn on you. Add 1000 or 2000 calories in snacks you like and have shelf life.

Charger and external battery is a great call.

Get a small bag. Keep it under 15 lbs. If you need a box of ammo that is a really bad day and you will be famous.

User Tag List