Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's your formula for rapidly cleaning heavy leading from barrels?

Another vote here for Chore Boy. I used a Lewis Lead Remover for years and always scoffed at the Chore Boy solution as a kitchen table bubba move, until I tried it. Damned if it doesn't work easy peasy lemon squeezy. Now, I only use the forcing cone attachment on the Lewis. One word of caution though: make sure to use the Ultimate Chore Boy. Standard CB and other alternatives are copper plated steel not pure copper. Like everyone else, I can't comment on the Ti cylinder issue.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

When I called S&W about the proper way to clean the chambers on the titanium cylinder of my 986, they put me on hold and put me on with a guy who actually owned one. He said a regular copper bore brush would be fine and cause no damage.
    Real guns have hammers.

Shoot a dozen jacketed at the end of a range session and brush.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    Shoot a dozen jacketed at the end of a range session and brush.

Actually that's the worse thing you can do...Many people believe that by shooting jacketed bullets after shooting lead, they will "blow out" all the leading in the barrel.. The reality is you are simply smearing the lead INTO the barrel..(steel is actually a pourous material)Lead being very mallable, can easily be hammered into very thin pieces, when you shoot a jacketed bullet in a barrel after shooting lead bullets, the jacketed bullet literally becomes the hammer, copper being much harder than lead, will be push the remaining lead residue into a thin lead film, (for lack of better wording) and will be left in the barrel. This is why the barrel looks so clean and shiny after shooting some jacketed bullets through a barrel after shooting lead, what you're seeing is the lead smeared down the barrel. One should never shoot jacketed bullets after shooting lead, if it can be avoided, Chore boy copper pads work the best, and will remove the lead..
    Last edited by ralph; 12-16-2018 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    Actually that's the worse thing you can do...Many people believe that by shooting jacketed bullets after shooting lead, they will "blow out" all the leading in the barrel.. The reality is you are simply smearing the lead INTO the barrel..(steel is actually a pourous material)Lead being very mallable, can easily be hammered into very thin pieces, when you shoot a jacketed bullet in a barrel after shooting lead bullets, the jacketed bullet literally becomes the hammer, copper being much harder than lead, will be push the remaining lead residue into a thin lead film, (for lack of better wording) and will be left in the barrel. This is why the barrel looks so clean and shiny after shooting some jacketed bullets through a barrel after shooting lead, what you're seeing is the lead smeared down the barrel. One should never shoot jacketed bullets after shooting lead, if it can be avoided, Chore boy copper pads work the best, and will remove the lead..
    One small point of order Mr. Speaker: Steel is not a porous material, this is myth born by bad terminology. Metal had a grain structure much like wood, but it isn't porous.

Porous: (of a rock or other material) having minute spaces or holes through which liquid or air may pass.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    One small point of order Mr. Speaker: Steel is not a porous material, this is myth born by bad terminology. Metal had a grain structure much like wood, but it isn't porous.

Porous: (of a rock or other material) having minute spaces or holes through which liquid or air may pass.
    Ok, I stand corrected, however, everything else I said is true.

I dunno anything about Unobtanium cylinders, but, "The Dip" is great for cleaning barrels and giving your lead poisoning if you're not careful.

Look it up. Wear gloves. Wear goggles. Don't put that shit in your kitchen. Dispose of it appropriately.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    I dunno anything about Unobtanium cylinders, but, "The Dip" is great for cleaning barrels and giving your lead poisoning if you're not careful.

Look it up. Wear gloves. Wear goggles. Don't put that shit in your kitchen. Dispose of it appropriately.

I looked it up..that stuff is nasty.. I think I'll stick to Chore-Boy pads, and some elbow grease...

Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    I looked it up..that stuff is nasty.. I think I'll stick to Chore-Boy pads, and some elbow grease...
    It is def. not good for you. I will say it does work amazingly well, tho.

Site Supporter
    Shooter's Choice Lead Removal Formula and Kroil Penetrating Oil

User Tag List