Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your formula for rapidly cleaning heavy leading from barrels?

What's your formula for rapidly cleaning heavy leading from barrels?

Curious what people are currently using for (quickly) cleaning out heavy leading.

What if you are getting leading in titanium cylinder holes? How can you clean that without damaging the coating on the Ti? Can you run the cylinder in ultrasonic? If so, what solution is recommended?
    Last edited by Speederlander; 12-14-2018 at 02:27 AM.

for blue steel and stainless steel barrels I use Stainless steel bore brushes. the grade of stainless used in the brushes is softer than barrel steel and causes no damage to bores or chambers. choose appropriate sizes for a snug fit in barrels and watch the lead come flaking out. works much better than Lewis lead remover or any bore cleaners I have tried. been doing it for many years with no bad effect on barrels.

no experience with titanium cylinders.
    Billy

Gunsmith, M/C mechanic, Retired Army, NRA Life Member
    "When you have to shoot...Shoot don't talk" Tuco

Site Supporter
    For non-Ti applications, I use oversized bronze brushes. So, for 35cal (38/357/9mm) I use 41mag-sized brushes or even 44 if it's really heavy. I use lots of Hoppes as well.

No experience with Ti. I'd consider a chemical remover at that point.

Chris

no answer for Ti but the all copper choreboy brand metal wool on a bore brush for steel barrels, more or less it is copper "steel wool"

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    If the gray coating on a Ti cylinder is compromised, you can expect to see flame cutting soon. Mechanical scraping (i.e., stainless or other hard brushes) is out.

I would also be very cautious in the application of anything notably acidic or basic. It seems to be the case that many ultrasonic cleaning solutions are chemically non-neutral, which is what it takes to get that bright yellow shine on the brass that everyone likes so much.

I haven't tried it, but I would look into something like Kroil, which has many reports of penetrating under lead and lifting it, allowing the lead to be removed with light brushing.

CAUTION:
    REVOLVERS WITH TITANIUM ALLOY CYLINDERS
    Titanium alloy cylinders weigh approximately 60% of what a similarly
    sized stainless steel cylinder weighs and yet is able to withstand
    the same operating pressures. Care and cleaning of the
    revolver’s titanium alloy cylinder consists of normal gun cleaning
    procedures using high quality gun oil and cleaning solvents when
    necessary. However, under NO circumstances should the cylinder’s
    chambers (charge holes) or front face be cleaned with an abrasive
    material such as sand paper, Scotch Brite™, Crocus Cloth, etc. To
    do so will disrupt it’s protective surface layer and greatly reduce the
    cylinder’s service life because of excessive erosion that will take
    place while firing and will void your revolver’s warranty.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I’ve wrapped this around caliber size bore brushes for use on blued and stainless wheelguns. No clue if it’s okay for Ti.Birchwood Casey 31002 Lead Remover and Polishing Cloth, 6-Inch x 9-Inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AU67BEM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_-66eCbEFQ3F8V

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    no answer for Ti but the all copper choreboy brand metal wool on a bore brush for steel barrels, more or less it is copper "steel wool"
    Cast bullet shooters have been doing this in STEEL GUNS pretty much forever. It's cheap, fast, and good. I have no idea as to whether it's OK on titanium.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Chore-Boy...IaAuThEALw_wcB

Cut it up with a pair of kitchen shears and wrap some of it around a bore brush. Fit will be really tight if you use a 38 brush in a 38 revolver, so I use a Glock plastic brush that's nearly worn out or a smaller-diameter brush.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I've had good success with most of the methods described above. With really stubborn leading (and really stubborn residue left over from coated bullets), I have had success with careful and limited applications of JB Bore Paste. I only use the bore paste when nothing else works, though. That stuff worries me a bit.

HOWEVER, I can't say whether any of this would work with a titanium cylinder, though.
    Ordinary guy

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    This
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

User Tag List