Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's your formula for rapidly cleaning heavy leading from barrels?

Just wanted to say thank you for the tip on using Chore Boy Copper to clean lead out of my barrel. Works like a charm!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    no answer for Ti but the all copper choreboy brand metal wool on a bore brush for steel barrels, more or less it is copper "steel wool"
    This has worked well for me as well.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duffy View Post
    When I called S&W about the proper way to clean the chambers on the titanium cylinder of my 986, they put me on hold and put me on with a guy who actually owned one. He said a regular copper bore brush would be fine and cause no damage.
    This is correct. The coating in the Ti is quite hard but also very thin. A copper brush shouldn't even come close to damaging it. But as a general rule, even though these coatings are very thin, it's surprisingly easy to dig under them with something abrasive. Tread cautiously.

Ive used either OLD Hoppes No 9 (I bought several large bottles at an estate sale in about 1975 from a 80-something year old gunsmith) or Shooters choice, run soaked patch in bore, let sit an hour or so, then a button style jag and very tight patch, It pushes strips and chunks of lead out. Repeat several times as needed. I dont think Ive used a bronze brush for heavy leading other than in 22s. The brush will clean up the remnants after you push most of the large bits out.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Kroil and a bronze brush on a cordless drill.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post

I find it both interesting and sad that these are often purchased with glass tubes.
    Taking a break from social media.

no answer for Ti but the all copper choreboy brand metal wool on a bore brush for steel barrels, more or less it is copper "steel wool"
    And make certain it is the copper Choreboy, not the stainless. The stainless will damage your barrel.

Are Chore Boy pads used as some sort of drug paraphernalia?

I was forced to spend a couple of months earlier this year in a bad part of town.

The gas station I frequented there always had a big box full of Chore Boy pads on the shelf. Not wrapped or anything, just grab as many as you wanted. I thought it pretty odd, but figured in that area, it had something to do with drugs. I noticed the box would be almost empty on Monday mornings.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    Are Chore Boy pads used as some sort of drug paraphernalia?

I was forced to spend a couple of months earlier this year in a bad part of town.

The gas station I frequented there always had a big box full of Chore Boy pads on the shelf. Not wrapped or anything, just grab as many as you wanted. I thought it pretty odd, but figured in that area, it had something to do with drugs. I noticed the box would be almost empty on Monday mornings.
    https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...rm=Chore%20boy
    There's nothing civil about this war.

At the risk of asking some really dumb questions:

1) Why use a Choreboy-wrapped brush instead of just using a copper bore brush?

2) What size should the underlying brush be for a .38?

3) Should the brush itself be copper or nylon?

I just picked up a snubby and will be shooting a lot of lead, which I’ve never dealt with before, so this is timely, thanks!

User Tag List