Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Discovered the secret to Walmart ammo buying

Quote Originally Posted by jmjames View Post
    WalMart's ammo prices aren't anything special. $10/box of Federal Champion 9mm? Yawn. Their el cheapo birdshot is a decent deal, but they charge $5/5 of Super X #00 when my local law enforcement store sold me a box of 5 Federal LE Flight Control #00 for $3. Their rifle ammunition isn't special either, their Federal bulk pack .223 is $10 more than I commonly see it advertised online (tax offsets S/H costs...), their 7.62x39 is a LOT more expensive than anything you'd get online (mil surp), etc. Even my local range has ammunition priced competitively with WalMart for the most part.

WalMart is really good at making you think you got a bargain, when you didn't.

J.Ja
    For my area it is totally dependent on what you are looking for. Pistol ammo at the gun store or sporting goods store in my area is typically more expensive, even for the cheap range fodder. Like you mention, you can get better deals on rifle ammo elsewhere, but pistol ammo is cheaper. My local WM store has reloading components, but they are typically more expensive than the sportsman's warehouse for example. So if I happen to be in WM and see a value pack of pistol ammo there for 20 bucks, I snag it. I don't consider it my only source certainly.

It wouldn't be so bad during the lean times if there weren't so many douche bags buying up the ammo then immediately putting it back up for sale locally for scalpers prices.

Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post
    I avoid WM as best I can, and with the deals to be had on Internet purchased ammo, I don't really see the point of going even for ammo. Especially "bulk" ammo purchases at Wal Mart.
    My wife is the personnel manager for our local Wal-Mart. With her discount I walked out with 500 rounds of white box Winchester with a few boxes of the Federal mixed in for $116. I was pretty happy with that deal.

Quote Originally Posted by mongooseman View Post
    My wife is the personnel manager for our local Wal-Mart. With her discount I walked out with 500 rounds of white box Winchester with a few boxes of the Federal mixed in for $116. I was pretty happy with that deal.
    For comparison, I have a case of Aguila 124gr landing on my doorstep tomorrow that cost me $230 with shipping. If you can catch it in stock and S&G (which I didn't this time ), it can be had about $30 cheaper than that.

Works out to a very similar cost per round to the Wally World stuff after sales tax, but it's a slightly hotter 124gr load vs the 115gr stuff WM carries.

User Tag List