Thread: Barrel Cant S&W M&P 340

Barrel Cant S&W M&P 340

Name:  9120E588-1E86-4F2B-8DB3-F35B23776D25.jpg
Views: 1232
Size:  23.1 KB

Name:  FAE1ACA9-3C7E-466D-95E7-D4F4F0E32652.jpg
Views: 882
Size:  17.9 KB

Almost picked up this M&P 340 from my LGS today and noticed the barrel is canted to the right.

Is this the new normal? Is minor cant “acceptable”?

The pics don’t illustrate this as well as the naked eye however even the sales guy agreed it would bug him too.

Site Supporter
    Is it a new gun or a used gun ?

I had a 340 M&P (serial number started with a D) purchased new in 2008 which shot way to the right without visible barrel cant. S&W partially mitigated the issue but after two trips back it still shot slightly right and I traded it in with full disclosure.

You won’t really know if it’s a problem until you shoot it.
    Last edited by HCM; 12-12-2018 at 08:34 PM.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Isn't this exactly the sort of thing that the 2-piece barrel construction is supposed to prevent?
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

You're right about the pics. I don't see it. If it looked like the pic, I'd have never batted an eye.

My M69 was canted and I created a set of levers out of 2x4 lumber and turned it. Kinda lame, but I am to the point where I try to deal with things I can without being g mad.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Full disclosure, first wheelgun and I'm trying to do it right.

Don't need a J Frame but want one.

Don't want to burn >$700 in frustration.

Appreciate your guidance!
    Last edited by J0hnny; 12-12-2018 at 10:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by J0hnny View Post
    Full disclosure, first wheelgun and I'm trying to do it right.

Don't need a J Frame but want one.

Don't want to burn >$700 in frustration.

Appreciate your guidance!
    First wheel gun, buy something bigger and made of steel. First time you shoot the M&P 340 you're going to wish you'd not have.

GP100 would be my recommendation.

If it must be a snub, LCR.

@J0hnny I've had 3 M&P 340's in the last few years. Two had canted barrels both got sent back and fixed. I did't pay for shipping there or back. When I called I explained that the gun was shooting X number of inches off at 7/10/15 yards and was well off the mark at 25. S&W sent me a shipping label via e-mail and had it back to me in less than two weeks both times. I can't say I was happy about the clocked barrels but they fixed them. Every time I got a gun back from them it was dead on afterwards. Sucks that I realized after the purchase but at least they made it right. I would look for a sample without said issue but if you don't have a choice then buy one knowing you're going to have to send it back. S&W's CS was great every time I had an interaction with them whether it was ordering parts or repair they were prompt and polite. Hope this helps with your decision.

Good advice however this platform is not a high volume shooter for me.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    First wheel gun, buy something bigger and made of steel. First time you shoot the M&P 340 you're going to wish you'd not have.

GP100 would be my recommendation.

If it must be a snub, LCR.

User Tag List